THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Adjustable trigger for military Mauser 98?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjustable trigger for military Mauser 98?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Timney and Huber make adjustable triggers that are about the same price. Visually, Tmney's are sealed by aluminum sides. Huber is completely open. To me Huber's strongly resembles the stock military trigger with several adjustment screws. I have owned neither brand, for any military rifle. I am very interested in having the Huber trigger's precision and reliability. As should be obvious, I am attracted to the apparent simplicity shown in Huber's, but only Timney's seems to be bought.

Please evaluate the Huber'trigger for military rifles, preferably for Mauser 98.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good gunsmith can turn a milsurp trigger into a gem, take up the slack an hone the trigger to 3 lbs suits me...a Timney is a drop in and is a er good trigger..cost wise is probably cheaper so Id go with the Timney..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A good gunsmith can turn a milsurp trigger into a gem, take up the slack an hone the trigger to 3 lbs suits me...a Timney is a drop in and is a er good trigger..cost wise is probably cheaper so Id go with the Timney..

I've been considering your suggestion, and I've been pricing [near] drop-in triggers. I've come across Huber triggers, a trigger form with which I'm totally unfamiliar. Photographs on its web site show very open and, to my eyes, very "Winchester M70/Browning Safari-ish" simple adjustable triggers for Mauser 98s at reasonable pricing.

From site's photographs, I think I could revert to OEM trigger without issues. I don't know whether Timney trigger without integral sliding safety would allow me that safety factor.

And perhaps an important factor, several years ago I had cervical spinal surgery that has left index, thumb and middle finger slightly numb. In the house I notice some loss of sensitively that doesn't seem to affect my trigger feel. When it's 20 degrees, windy, and snowing, I dunno about sensitivity regardless of trigger.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may do well to add a Timney trigger and a side swing two or three position safety to that outfit

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes what Kobe said, A MOD 70 3 position safety is best with a Timney. a two position is good. lots of options out there that work.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Often during deer/elk hunting season I prefer to wear mittens with usable index fingers, I decided to try various combinations of the OEM trigger assemblies I have to see if I could make a "silk purse of a sow's ear" before investing in an adjustable trigger. Using mittens or naked trigger finger, I hoped that the double pull trigger sequence, would be advantageous.

Additional information is: I have had cervical spinal surgery that has caused some loss of sensitivity in several fingers on right hand. So I believed I had a little wiggle room on any trigger assembly's final pull.

Trying my second trigger assembly I obtained stunning success. Final pull is free of any creep and breaks at what I believe is 4 pounds Testing with my left hand confirms a first class final pull,

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Timney, and Wisner 3 position safety. That is just for looks because the thumb safety works fine.
You can never make a direct pull trigger to be as light as a Timney, and still be safe. Whack the receiver with a plastic hammer and see if the FP falls. Understand the different in design of the direct pull triggers, and a separate sear/trigger/cocking piece type one.
Although I often use military two stage triggers on my personal rifles; I know how to use them correctly.
Blackburn; just no.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a mod 70 trigger for a Mauser by that Husband and wife gunmaker of some fame whos name Ive forgotten..Its a gem and there is no better trigger than the pre 64 win trigger for a hunting rifle IMO..Its not cheap..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Paul and Sharon Dressel.
$250.
Brownells does not sell it.
Pre 64 and post 64 Model 70 triggers are the same. Until Portugal.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote