New
Find
Notify
Tools

New life for a M93 bubba!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found this old bubba'd M93 Mauser a few years ago and has been a long process of recovery. When I pulled the action out of the M98 stock someone had modified to get it to fit, the trigger guard was so pitted it wasn't worth saving. So over time I was able to trade finally for a decent trigger guard and floor plate to replace the damaged one.

Vapo a couple of years ago had a small ring barrel short chambered in .30-06 for the right price of $45 shipped. I then picked up a Bold trigger and DT speed lock kit for the rifle and decided I'd build a .300 Savage someday with all the parts. I have a friend who is learning to be a gunsmith and had just got his FFL for gunsmithing. He has a machinist background and asked if he could put the rifle together for me after I told him my plans for this M93. I told him I'd give him a chance, so he cut the threads off of my barrel and re-threaded, and chambered the barrel to my action. He also welded on the current bolt handle, threw in a low swing safety, installed my speedlock kit and Dura-Coated the whole barreld action for the low price of $250.

I picked up a Richard's laminated stock for $75 and started the reshaping process. I still have a lot of work to go in my wood working ability but it was a learning experience. I attemped as well to bed my first Mauser action, I read everything I could before I did it but I guess I screwed it up somewhere.

Anyway the rifle just wouldn't group so I took it back to a different GS to have him look at it. He said my bedding job was probably adding stress and causing the groups to be terrible. I had him fix the bedding as well the scope mounts since the rear base wasn't quite in line with the front by adding a 1 piece base. So I've got another $130 in the rifle.

Anyway I got the rifle back about two weeks ago and have had it out to the range twice since. Now is shooting around 1/2-1" consistantly for three shots with 42.3 grains of RL-15 and 165 grain Hornady's @ 100 yards. I plan next week after I get some more ammo loaded up to run a 10 shot string over my chrony and take this rifle as my primary on my third season elk/deer hunt this year.

Here are some pics with a cheap trashco scope on it, just needed to get a feel for it as I was shaping the stock. I've since installed a Vortex Viper 2-7X32 scope, which has impressed me greatly. It is a shame that Vortex quit making this particular scope.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2Great appearance! Does the stock have a finish on it? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
tu2Great appearance! Does the stock have a finish on it? beerroger

Not in the above pictures, I was just shaping the stock and took a couple of shots to get some opinions. It has one coat of Minwax Antique Oil finsih and a couple of coats of Tru-Oil now. I did this just because I got tired of getting all the wood black from messing with it at the range. After hunting season, I'll finish sanding it to remove all the wood rasp marks and refinish the stock.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm anxious for you to tumble your elk with that rifle this year!
I was impressed that thing shoots.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My dads #1 rifle for years was a 300 S on an Original Oberndorf small ring sporter.. When used in a good bolt action it is a very underestimated round. I also settled on Rlr 15 and 165's. I believe I was getting about 2550-2600 fs.

The 300 is an excellent round for small ring actions, as is the 7X57 or 257 Rob.. They make a wonderfull combination of lightweight, low recoil and yet powerfull rifles.. Your gonna love that one Ill bet!!

What length is your bbl?

Nice popper! tu2

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bubba 93 in 7x57 but is shoots so good I hate to mess with it.

But you give hope that I'll reshape the stock into some thing thiner and lighter

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
The more I've been reading, the more interested in the 300 Savage I get. Nice light little platform for 300 savage. Let us know how it shoots, and how your hunting trip goes.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use a 300 sav for many years a nice hunting round.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mad_jack02:
The more I've been reading, the more interested in the 300 Savage I get. Nice light little platform for 300 savage. Let us know how it shoots, and how your hunting trip goes.

Just think of the 300 s as a slightly loaded down 308.. In essence that is all it is. I like the design of the 308's neck better for reloading, but otherwise they are virtually identical.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Ya I wish I had held on to the 760 Remington I got in a trade in 300 Savage, But it went bye bye a gun show or two later. If I'd have done some reading up on the caliber back them I might still have it.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If the 300 savage had had a longer neck, we probably would not have the .308.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taylor that is a very nice looking rifle you have there. Every now and then I see an Argentine M91 that has been converted to 300 Savage or 35 Rem.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldSo, did you get your Elk and do you have anymore pics of the completed rifle? Confused beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys I haven't been paying attention to this thread. To answer a couple of questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
What length is your bbl?

Nice popper! tu2

The barrel worked out to 23" after being set back.

quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
oldSo, did you get your Elk and do you have anymore pics of the completed rifle? Confused beerroger

No didn't get an elk with it nor a mule deer. I wound up hunting with my 1917 Enfield in .300 H&H instead and I took a small four point with it. I think my scope took a crap on me as my itty bitty groups opened up to 3+" groups and POI kept shifting before I got to hunt. I need to send it back to Vortex and have them check out the scope.

I've just been super busy and haven't had the time to swap scopes again. I've been working on getting a new job and not on rifles since season was over. Looks like the new job will start on the 12th of March so I can get back to tinkering with rifles in my spare time.