Find
Notify
Tools

S/42 1938 Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted
I ran across a rifle that looked like the action would make a nice sporter rifle. Got the barrel pulled yesterday and everything looks good, even the barrel I pulled looked like it would be a good shooter, but I'm not interested in 8mm. I'm going to get started on the action today. Now if I could just figure out what to do with the rest of the rifle, Stock, barrel, hardware ECT.

I'm thinking maybe .375 Whelen Imp.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stock, barrel, hardware ECT.

eBay, get some of your money back.

Or the gun auction sites.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Yes, only I think their rates are a little high, and they force you to go through paypal now, probably so they GET their cut off the top instead of waiting till the end of the month like it was in the past. I do have 83 transactions with them, but only use it as a last recourse when selling something.

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be very interested in your progress with getting that Nazi bolt handle bent!

I have a 280 Remington built by an artisan in Belgium in the 1960s on a Nazi 98K that has the "hump" removed.

However it isn't drilled or tapped for a 'scope (they were still very much using iron sights in Britain and Europe in the 1960s) ANd the Nazi bolt handle remains like yours.

Hmm! I keep wanting to 'scope it but can never have confidence in anyone here now in Britain to bend that handle!

So I would very, very interested in how that progresses.

Last word:

Before you do decide not to do the "8mm thing" might I urge re-chambering that barrel to 8mm-06 (after maybe accuracy testing it "as is" in 8x57) as 8x60S and 8mm-06 are very, very useful calibres with a 196 or 220 grain bullet!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I'd be very interested in your progress with getting that Nazi bolt handle bent!

I'd be very interested in your progress with getting a replacment bolt handle WELDED on.

I do hope that you make the right choice. Wink

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check using Auction Arms or Gunbroker to sell the parts.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the "S/42" code represent?

I looked in the usual sources of German production codes and couldn't find that one.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a good source of Luger info. but without checking I think S/42 is a Naval designation I have an S/42 - 1939 Luger for instance. FWIW --- John303.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.co...rms/98k/k98index.htm

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
What does the "S/42" code represent?

I looked in the usual sources of German production codes and couldn't find that one.

Thanks.

S/42 was a manufactures code assigned to Mauserwerk.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

S/42 1938 Mauser AG Oberndorf

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Yep that's the link I found when looking into the history myself. As far as the bolt handle goes I haven't decided what I want to do yet. Right now I'm thinking it will be an open sight gun but that's AP to change by the time it's all said and done.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I've got a S/42 1937 action that I'm having difficulty deciding what to barrel it in. Fortunately, it's not at the top of the list for completion. I also have a 8mm PacNor barrel, which may become 8x57, installed on my action. Big Grin They sure are slick actions. At one time I had a bunch of milsurp '98 actions, but sold them or traded them all but three. Only one of those is finished. I haven't found it easy to get them sporterized. Other actions requiring less work seem to rise to the top of the list, and the Mauser actions just sit there on the shelf, and I take them out and admire them every so often.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
-appreciated, all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put it all on gunbroker. Rates are not too much worse than ebay. I dispose of a lot of mauser take off parts that way.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
May go that route, but their is a gun show this weekend.