New
Find
Notify
Tools

thinking about a 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 with a shot-out barrel. I'm thinking about rebarreling to 9.3x62. Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I've been checking different sites and have found reloading data that seems...uh, optimistic? 320gr bullets at 2500fps? 286gr bullets near 2600fps? What are realistic ballistics for this cartridge from a 22" barrel? I'll be hunting white-tail deer, elk, and black bear.

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GP, The data varies on this round quite a bit since the standard pressures are very low in deference to some old rifles chambered for it. I have a pre-64 in 9,3x62 and it would be a fine choice of cartridge. With 250gr X bullets 2600-2650 is comfortably achievable. If you look over on 24hr Campfire there are a couple threads where John Barsness and Charlie Sisk pressure tested this combination at about 55K PSI, well below the 62K PSI for 270, 30-06 etc..
I would think that 2500 is achievable with 286 without going over pressure, but I haven't done so myself.
This is a round that due to the low SAAMI standards you can acheive better than factory performance. Just be very carefull and search around the forums for lots of data, and slowly work up any loads........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by gringo_pistolero:
I have a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 with a shot-out barrel. I'm thinking about rebarreling to 9.3x62. Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I've been checking different sites and have found reloading data that seems...uh, optimistic? 320gr bullets at 2500fps? 286gr bullets near 2600fps? What are realistic ballistics for this cartridge from a 22" barrel? I'll be hunting white-tail deer, elk, and black bear.

Do it, you will not regret it. I have (another) 9.3x62 being built right now on a pre-64 70 action (1952). 24" pac-nor #3 with a 12" twist...

From 22", I've found 2450 fps to be a safe stout load for 286s; 2600 fps for 250s. Add a couple more inches of barrel, and 2500 and 2650, respectively, are reasonable maximums. I like a 23-24" barrel myself...

H414, Varget, Re15, and Re10x (with lighter bullets) are excellent powders. I use GM210M primers exclusively with these powders and had excellent results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 550 in 9,3x62 from a forum member. Did it because a friend had such glowing comments about the caliber.

We went to RSA last year. The scope on my .338 Win Mag started goofing up the week before we left. The 9,3x62 was taken instead. The PH was delighted to see the 9,3x62s ... commenting that it was nice to see folks bringing real calibers to Africa. (He didn't like my .416 Rigby though. He said he's seen too many owners that could not shoot them well. He later agreed that I didn't seem to have a problem with it.)

The 9,3x62 rifle performed brilliantly. Took five animals with it ... Impala, Warthog, Blue Wildebeast, Zebra and Kudu. The Kudu was the only fella that had not read "The Perfect Shot." Everything else died from a single shot. All hits were pass throughs with the 286 gr Nosler Partition at 2425 fps.

The rifle is a nice weight ... very handy. The caliber is powerful and accurate but does not beat you up. The effect on game is superb.

I REALLY like and recommend it strongly.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have a Model 70 .270 that has a new 9.3x62 barrel in it's future..then my 3 main hunting rifles will be 7x57, 9.3x62, 404 Jeff.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm building one too. Just waiting for an M70 action to arrive in the mail. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm thinking a 23" barrel with sights and a boyds laminate.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the action, ZG-47 and the Boyds laminated classic stock for one, just need to get some other bits and pieces and have Bill put it together next winter when he has a bit of time. I also intend to do another custom rifle at that time, probably a matching 7x57 on the smaller ring 21H action, a matched pair.

I honestly think that these two elderly rounds are STILL perhaps the finest cartridges available in many respects and, although I still have almost 30 rifles, after ruthlessly culling my gunsafe, I intend to do most of my future hunting with these. For Grizzly protection here in B.C., if using a bolt rifle, I cannot imagine a better combo than a good Mauser rifle in 9.3x62, shooting the 286 NP or similar premium bullet.

It's ironic, here we are in a time when some NASA pundits are saying that the Space Shuttle is perhaps obsolete and yet, our best choices in realistic hunting rounds are two hoary old rounds from a century and more ago.....

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GP,

It's a great choice and a nice fit for your action. I have CZ550 American (24" barrel) and get low to mid 2400fps with the 286-grain Nosler Partition. Haven't loaded the 320 so I can't say there. I am admittedly a very conservative reloader and have not seen the need to push the envelope, but 2600fps on the 286gr seems optimistic.

There is a wealth of 9.3x62 info here at AR as there are quite a few of us here actively shooting this round. There is a very good selection of components readily available - although mostly mail order!!!

Used my CZ in Zimbabwe for six animals from warthog thru eland with outstanding results. Have taken one whitetail deer back here in the US also.

Build the 9.3 - you will not be sorry. Smiler

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gringo.....

You hit the right tone on this thread, appears almost everyone either likes their actions re-barreled into 9.3x62 Mauser or buys then new (CZ's)!

I re-barreled also, a .30/06 Sprg. Mauser action into a 9.3x62 and have never looked back, what a great action/cartridge combo.

I took an alternative route - since it is a close-quarters rifle had a somewhat heavier 20" barrel installed with a spiffy barrel-band front sight, EAW mounts, a Millet Red Dot and a Zeiss 8x56 - this combo covers alot of ground.

Shoots great in a compact package and handles like a dream. Like the others say, this gun delivers a tremendous blow without beating the trigger-puller to death.

I haven't spent alot of time at the range with it other than to sight-it in because I am too busy hunting & killing all types of game with it!

Also my experience is that you don't particularly require the added expense of premium bullets in this catridge, the 250 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and the 270 grain Speer Soft Points work just great.

Anyway - just do it!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ACRecurve: my 3 main hunting rifles will be 7x57, 9.3x62, 404 Jeff

This is sensible combo to me, covers everything w/o overlap. Add 22LR & 12 gauge and you're completely covered. And maybe a 223.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one on the cz 550 lux model and I really like the caliber.

more power but in a 30/06 weight package with not much more recoil.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to hunt only here I don't see the advantage. Think about the ballistic equivalent 35 Whelan.Either one will do a fine job on anything in North America !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 9.3x62 is becoming my favorite caliber, it´s made my .375 H&H redundant...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
I think the 9.3x62 is becoming my favorite caliber, it´s made my .375 H&H redundant...

Ditto.... though I'm keeping my .375 H&H. I sold both my 338-06 and my .35 Whelen after I got my 9.3x62 (in a CZ 550 American rifle). I don't try to push the velocity with my 9.3x62. A 286 gr bullet at around 2400 fps is plenty for me. That shoots plenty flat enough out to around 200 yards or so. A 286 gr bullet at 2400 fps churns up around 3600 ft lb of muzzle energy; not bad from a .30-06 size case. (I do have a .338 Win Mag if I need to push a heavy bullet at higher velocity for a flatter trajectory.)

Handloading components are easy to obtain though they may not be at your local gun store. But, in the age of the Internet, getting loading components is no problem. Graf's has a good price on Graf brand brass and they carry Prvi Partizan 286 gr bullets which are inexpensive and accurate. They make great practice loads.

And, besides, it's just fun having something a little different and unusual (at least for an American). Get a 9.3x62 and you'll love it.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out my report on safari in African Hunt Reports. All the animals I took, about 16 or so, and about half the ones my son took were with the 9.3x62. It is an incredibly versatile cartridge.

Let me recommend Montana Rifle Works Barrels. My gunsmith was very impressed with their service and their product. My rifle is one of the most accurate rifles in any caliber I have ever seen.

In a M70, you should be able to shoot loads that in the psi range of the .270Win, which will move a 286Partition or Woodleigh at 2400fps, a 270 Speer at 2500 fps, and a 250BT at 2600fps without difficulty from a 24" barrel. This cartridge like a longer barrel, and I would recommend a 23" or 24" barrel. Put a barrel band on it. They look really cool and make carrying it a snap.

You may want to check a thread I did on 9.3x62 this spring in reloading on AR with data on loads for the various bullets. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll love the 9.3x62. I shot some feral cattle with it in a lightly-customized CZ 550 American a while ago and the results were impressive. I used the Partition and the Speer over a mild charge of H4895. They shot to the same POI, so I would use the Speer for practice but the Nosler on game. I will not use the Speer bullets on game again. I read here that they were too soft and it turned out to be true. Do a search for threads about it and read them all. It will take quite some time, but there is a ton of good information here about it.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with the 250 grain North Fork softs in the 9.3x62, but their other bullets and weights would probably be good choices as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in a CZ 550 FS (Full stock). I shot a bison, though I didn't need it because my guide asked me to shoot for the neck. Went through the vertabrae without breaking up with the 270 gr. Speer bullet at 80 yards.

I am taking it for moose and bear this fall. This time it will be with the 286 gr. Nosler P and 57.5 grains RL-15 in Lapua cases, WLR primer.

I practice with a reduced load behind 250 gr. Nosler BT because the recoil is stout. And, the gun cost less than $500 -- So far, so good.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all; you will be pleased with the 9,3, if you use it for it`s purpose. It is not meant to shoot ultralong distances, or at "magnum-velocities". Therefore, I have to disagree with kududu about barrel length.
The average hunter carries his/hers rifle a lot more than he/she shoots with it. Handiness is the way to go, and I would not go over 22".
The caliber is very common here in Sweden, and many are the rifles with short barrels. Since the caliber enjoy pretty fast powders, and it has a small case volume compared to the bullets diameter you dont need the long barrel. The powder is burnt anyway.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Roll Eyes

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The speer is to soft for large game but perfect for ferals like pigs, deer & grassy's I would suggest..........I think I will try the 9.3x62 Nos BT's next.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At what velocities have you found that the various 9.3mm bullets fail to expand on game? Particularly the 250 BT, 270 Speer, 286 NP, 250 & 300gr A-frames, and the 286 & 320gr Woodleighs? I guess I'm just a little concerned about expansion since the muzzle velocities are in the 2300fps range for the heavier bullets.

DJ, I've searched the posts on 24hr campfire and haven't been able to come up with the thread you are talking about...do you know what heading it is under?

Thanks for all the input!

Posts: 153 | Location: Lolo, MT | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If the gun is clean on the outside that would be a very practical rebore. It would preserve the pre 64 looks and clean up perfectly to 9.3. Probably about the same as a middle flight barrel in cost; less than a top-end barrel.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't shot a wide variety of bullets in the 9,3x62 ... 286 Nosler Partitions opened up well but did pass completely through the African animals I shot with it ... Impala, Warthog, Wildebeast, Kudu, and Zebra.

In the 9,3x74R I found that the Speer was too soft ... fragmenting in Texas hog and white tail. No such problem with 286 Woodleighs and 286 Nosler Partitions. Shame about the 270's because the rifle really likes them.

Have some 250 Woodleighs and 250 NPTs that I thought I'd try on white tails this year.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a new 9.3x62, a rebarreled 70 Classic. It was originally a synthetic matte with boss. I had Roger Ferrell screw on a 24" Winchester sporter contour Walther barrel, fit it to a used LT classic wood stock with used Williams bottom metal and a rust blue. I topped it with a LPS 1.5x6. The LPS puked while he was test firing it-Leupold replaced it with a new LPS 2.5x10. I haven't fired it yet-waiting to get some rounds loaded up. The test targets look great-both 232g Norma factory loads and Speer hand loads were well under 1" for 3 shots.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gringo,
I was in the same position as you, 1952 M70 in '06. Rather than rebarrel, I had Danny Pedersen rebore, rifle and chamber the original barrel to 9.3x64. The extra case capacity is handy when loading the 300/320gr bullets.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a LW barrel of 26 inches:

59 grs of RL-15 and get 2520 FPS with a 286 gr. Nosler...

57 grs. of RL-15 near 2400 with a 320 gr. Woodeigh..

I have no doubt a 250 gr. GS customs, BarnesX, Northfork, Nosler Bal tip will get you an easy 2600 FPS or better...I don't recall what my 250s chronographed at....

These are max loads so work up to them as all rifles are different. You may or may not be able to duplicate them..I have had a couple of 9.3x62 that had to be loaded about a grain less for max.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41955 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are too upscale with your 9.3x62mm conversions. Mine is a VZ-24 with a PacNor barrel done by Jim Wasmundt up in Oregon, and it is as ugly as sin, dull, non reflective barrel and action, average Royal stock, old Redfield scope, but it shoots Nosler slugs just fine. Built it as a "spare" camp rifle that has never been hunted.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote