Find
Notify
Tools

300 wby mag, how do you like it
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
I just traded for a 300 wby mag. I was going to sell it maybe, how do you all like them. It has a synthetic stock and a 3-9 redfield, what do you guys think it would be worth?
Thanks

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
It's worth what you can get for it. If it's a Howa, maybe 400.00 bucks.

As to the 300 Weatherby cartridge, it's a world class game getter. It shoots flat, hits hard, and because it's been around for a long time, there are lots of different factory loads available. I owned one for years and killed lots of game with it.

That said, if I was going to get another 300 magnum, I'd get the 300 Winchester. For all practical purposes, it does the same thing, but there are more guns available, and lots more factory loads, plus the ammo is cheaper.

Both kill like the Hammer of Thor. A 300 magnum of any flavor, loaded with a 180gr. Nosler will handle 95% of all your hunting chores around the world.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's one of my favorite cartridges. It's easy to load for and can be very accurate. My .300 Weatherby Sako is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

I agree with Jbabcock, though, the .300 Win. is probably a better choice. But since you've got the Wby, go shoot and enjoy it.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
I too have a 300win mag that i love, I am into heavy, target rifles. I got my 300 to hunt deer with at ranges exceeding 400 yards, I live in the mountians but the land I have access to cleared grazing land. The biggest thing that I would like to know is how hard does it kick?
My 300 being a target rifle is 13lbs so recoil is not bad, but I am a little guy in the terms of wieght. Not alot of padding, is it going to tear my head off?

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Not yer head, but it will let you know that you just sent a round down range. Eeker

The big Weatherby's do kick, more than most, probably because they are loaded pretty hot, or, just because it's a big case that holds lots of powder.

I had a Weatherby Ultra Light that kicked like a fiend. The gun weighed 8lbs. with scope, and man did it recoil.

Get yourself a good pad for the range, or stick a couple of wash-rags between your shoulder and the gun.

There may not be a better long range Deer rifle than the 300 Weatherby. Some of the best deer hunters in the world use that cartridge. Checkout the Ballistics for a 165 grain Nosler. My Nosler book say's IMR 4350 will push a 165 bullet at 3242fps, that's pretty fast, and flat. Speers say's Re25 will push one to 3258fps...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm running barnes 180 xbts at just under 3300 fps. It will shoot nice round 3" groups at 300 yds which means it's not off more that about 1.5" from where I'm aiming. I zero mine at 300 yds--if the ballistics are right it's not getting more than 3.5" high on the way to 300 and at 350 its' about 3" low---basically any game animal bigger than a squirrel you put the cross hairs behind the shoulder and shoot all the way to 350 yds.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I've actually been considering a synthetic in 300 wby for awhile. I think that it would be quite handy for anything from big mule deer on up to moose. I don't own anything bigger than a 30-06 at this point, so it is one of my first choices! Smiler

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty lively caliber, try one before you buy one... Also, make sure you feed it premium, it can be hard on bullets. In hunting camp in UT last October, a guy from CA shot a .300 Wby with 150 grs Hornady BTSP. He bragged about speed and accuracy, and normally shot the rifle with a brake to deal with the recoil (removed for hunting). When he brought in his mule deer, it had been shot 3 times, on the shoulder, in the arse, and I can't remember where the last shot went. All three shots looked as if the bullets had blown up on the outside of the animal, creating nasty superficial, non-killing wounds. Any of the high velocity rounds can be wonderful game getters, but they need the right bullets to do the job. Save the 150 grs Hornady BTSPs for your .308 or .30-06.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 300 Wby in the ClassicMark and love it. I have shot mule deer, elk, whitetails and used it in Zimbabwe for eland, impala, kudu, baboon, steenbok, etc.. It's definitely a killer. Mine is also quite accurate, no matter what others might claim. 180 grain Nosler partitions are a real performer in mine. Elgin Gates used his for animals I wouldn't even consider.
Doug

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other thing, the 300Wby needs 26 inches of bbl.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me the .300 Weatherby over any of the other .300 magnums any day. Especially over the shorter necked Winchester version. Seeing I reload the cost of ammo isn’t that much different. One of the .300 Weatherby’s in my safe is going on 42 years now and still going strong(considering it’s on it’s second barrel). Still the one I grab when I really mean business. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had mine 43 years and once put 3 shots in 3/8" and 5 shots in 5/8 inch. It is the "go to" gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .300 Jarrett - identical ballistics to the Weatherby. These big .300 mags are POWERFUL. I use a brake on mine. By all means use premium bullets unless you shoot nothing you want to eat at ranges under 250-300 yds. I use 200 gr bullets exclusively in mine, and have shot around 16 elk with it. Non-premium bullets have always come apart on shots of less than 300 yds. On the other hand, they all died. IMO the .300 mags come into their own for long distance shooting. I wanted a 500 yd elk rifle, and I got one.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Croberts,

JBabcock pretty much summed it all up in his second post. My 300 Weatherby is in a word awesome! The loads he quotes are correct. However I would like to point out that my M70 SS 26" bbl. rifle shoots 165 gr. factory Weatherby loads at 3450 fps! And the accuracy is remarkable for such a rifle! I played around with handloads for awhile with mine, getting about 3250 fps, and soon quit that endeavour, and now just shoot the factory loads. Mine is set up, as JBabcock mentioned, for long range whitetail hunting.

The recoil, while substantial, is different than my 7mm Rem Mag. for instance. The 300 has a lot more lift, torque, and shoves me back more. But the 7mm has a quicker "rap" to my shoulder.

I think you should shoot this rifle for awhile before you consider selling it. You may like it!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote