New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 M70 300 H&H questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally got my 300 H&H out in the deer woods last week. Unfortunatly no meat was made, but I spent 5-days enjoying my rifle.

Came home with a question: had trouble loading more than two rounds of hand loaded 180 Nosler Partitions down in the box and one in the chamber. The 180 gr Round Nose handloads were a little better as I was able to get three down in the box and one in the chamber. I thought that I would be able to get four down and one in the chamber. Is that correct and, if so, where do I look to figure out the problem?

Second: Did any company make new brass for the 300 H&H this year?

Third: who would you send a pre-64 to in order to have the barrel refinished?

Thanks,

Doublegun

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pre 64 M70 300 H&H should hold four rounds down and you could put another in the chamber.

Open the floor plate and see if something is keeping the follower from going down all the way.

The magazine is a little short for some handloads and they will stick front to back. A COL of 3.6" is indeed max in mine.

There is some Remington brass around but I have not seen any new WW brass.

How much does it need to be refinished?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I suepect the loads are a little long and the sides of the magazine are a little dirty. A good cleaning would not hurt it at all.

Regarding the re-bluing, just the barrel - everything else is in great shape. There are a couple of scrapes on the barrel that I could live without.

Thanks,

Doublegun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are instant blue systems including pens. I suggest that you do not over react on the barrel. Take that topic over to gunsmithing and if you could show some pictures there are experts there who can help you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 721 Rem 300H&H I lose one round capacity to my slightly extended overall lengths because of my bullet choice. You could force another in but who wants to shoot a round with a bent nose? You could try seating deeper, depending on what powder, charge, you are using.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, on the blueing touch up, the pens suck. Buy a bottle of OXPHO-BLUE.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.as...072&title=OXPHO-BLUE

Easier than making a baloney sandwich. Comes out looking nice. Start with light application and feather it in and then darken if need be to match. I used the frayed end of a paper matchstick for application in these situations. Steel wool as appropriate to match the rest of the gun and blend in to the original finish.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the brass question - Remington made a run and is still available at some online places (Grafs). The Nosler brass is available also.

Did see that Midway USA has Norma 300 H&H listed as "coming soon".

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to seat your bullets a tad deeper into the case. It will then take 4 down or should. Mine does...

The 300 H&H has a very long neck so seat the bullet to fit the magazine, not the chamber. Because of the long neck they will look like they are seated too deep but they are not...

The 300 H&H gets me better results with a 200 gr. Noslers or Woodleighs than any of the 300s except the Wby and it will come close to that. This is because the bullet does not go down and take up the powder space like most of the short magnums do.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun,

I have a pre-64 as well and here are a couple of points to consider.

As Savage 99 pointed out, a cartridge OAL of 3.6" is about max in these Model 70's. Best to measure your magazine box.

At least on mine, it has a rather short throat. Better to check where your particular bullets are contacting the lands to be sure you are not seating your bullets too long. That could really raise your pressures or in an extreme case, pull a bullet out as you are extracting an unfired cartridge. I generally have to limit OAL to about 3.54" to keep my bullets out of the lands.

As Ray pointed out, your loaded rounds will look like the bullet is seated very deeply, but that doesn't usually mean your bullets are down into your powder space, rather are right at the base of the neck.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to second B.Doerr on the OAL of .300 H&H ammo. The bullet should be seated deeply, which does take away something aesthetic about the big bullet big case thing, but it's gotta fit the chamber right! You don't need to worry about compressed loads in that case anyway. In my experience, the .300 H&H always did better with the heavier bullets, although I would occasionally get half inch performance with the 165 grain class. It's a fine cartridge!

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Kudu sierra.

Just checked - got 4-factory Winchester Failsafes in the box and one in the pipe with no problem.

Next time I think I'll try loading 200 Noslers although I'll have a tough time beating the 1/2" groups I am getting at 100 yards with the 180's. Still, I would like to use the rifle as a step up from my 30-06.

Doublegun