Find
Notify
Tools

rifle comparisons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted
There are two rifles I'm interested in. One is the Steyr ProHunter and the other one is the Tikka T3 Battue Lite which is mentioned on another thread. Since most of my experience is with domestic brands I would be interested in hearing from those that have experience with these models and any feed back regarding price, features or whatever else you believe relevant.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most relavent thing I can think of is to get interested in something else.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Cobra,

I have a Steyr ProHunter in .376 Steyr. I don't know which caliber you are interested in, or which features you like. The rifle will probably shoot. All I have seen shot well.

I also owned a Tikka Battue made on a model that came before the T3. It also shoots well (it is a .308 Win). I took the battue sights off and fitted a Ruger No. 1 rib so I could have a scout type scope. The T3's reputation is good shooting at modest prices.

What else would you like to know?

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To much platic for me so I would look at the cz range of rifles but hye if you like them thats all that counts !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
Cobra,

I have a Steyr ProHunter in .376 Steyr. I don't know which caliber you are interested in, or which features you like. The rifle will probably shoot. All I have seen shot well.

I also owned a Tikka Battue made on a model that came before the T3. It also shoots well (it is a .308 Win). I took the battue sights off and fitted a Ruger No. 1 rib so I could have a scout type scope. The T3's reputation is good shooting at modest prices.

What else would you like to know?

jim

Jim, thanks for the reply. I first learned about the Pro Hunter because of the .376. It is an interesting cartridge but I wouldn't get the use out of it. I understand they come in standard calibres and I am probably thinking along the lines of a 7mm or 30 calibre. I like the action but I'm not real crazy about the butterknife style bolt although I wouldn't necessarily pass it up for that alone.

The T3 I only know about from another thread and what I saw on Tikka's site. What I saw was very encouraging.

I guess what I'm trying to learn from others is functioning of the rifle, reliability, accuracy and handling. I'd also like to know if there is much price difference. It seems that both camps of Steyr and Tikka rifles are very loyal to their favourite so I probably won't lose either way.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'm ordering my Steyr Pro Hunter stainless camo 300 win tomorrow. Can't help you now though.

The Tikka is definitely the best for the money, but (IMO) the Steyr is a better rifle and a better investment. Everyone has a Tikka. No one know how well these new style Tikkas will hold up with decades of use. They seem sort of .... unsubstantial to me. Give me that 26" full size and full weight Steyr!

thumb

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
I'm ordering my Steyr Pro Hunter stainless camo 300 win tomorrow. Can't help you now though.

The Tikka is definitely the best for the money, but (IMO) the Steyr is a better rifle and a better investment. Everyone has a Tikka. No one know how well these new style Tikkas will hold up with decades of use. They seem sort of .... unsubstantial to me. Give me that 26" full size and full weight Steyr!

thumb

Hi woods, what do you like about the Steyr over the Tikka?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
cobra

I like a full size rifle, especially in the 300 win caliber. Less recoil.

The Tikka is a cheaper product of the Sako's. Love Sako's but had a Sako TRG-S that was built on the same action as the Tikka's and didn't like the 2 position safety and the way it popped shells up out of the magazine. The full price / full size Sakos are much smoother.

The Steyr has a stock with removeable butt spacer kickpads so it can be adjusted for length of pull.

The Steyr has a 25.5" barrel in 300 win and the barrel is unique in that is has a pattern on the outside that is absolutely gorgeous (at least it used to, hope the new ones still do).

Very few shooters have them at the range, but those that do shoot great groups and say they are the best.

The 3 position tang safety and the safety features with the bushing around the case head seem to be well thought out.

Don't have anything against a Tikka. Their marketing style and product has everyone buying one. If I wanted a caliber 270 and under and couldn't spend the money on a Steyr, I wouldn't hesitate. They must be building them by the thousands as fast as they can right now, that's not a comforting thought! MHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
woods, I have to admit I do like a three position safety better than a two position. The idea of having adjustable lengths of pull is another feature I like. A friend of mine has a TRG-S in 7mm RM and without a doubt it has to be the slickest action I have ever cycled. I don't know how the Finns do it but other manufacturers could take lessons. Good point about the rate of production of the Tikkas, I hadn't thought of that. Lots to think about but that's the fun of buying a new gun.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Might have to put the Steyr on hold. Have a friend that says he has a Beretta Mato in 300 win, new in the box / never fired, synthetic, not stailess though that he would part with for $800.00. That's about $300.00 cheaper than the Steyr.

Anybody know any good or bad things about the Beretta Mato? Will post another subject line.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I like the Steyr barrels with the outside marks left from hammer forging the barrel too. My rifle is dull matte finish, the bright blue steel finish shows off this feature better IMHO.

I wrote a post on the Mato ("bear") in the other thread...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobra:
I like the action but I'm not real crazy about the butterknife style bolt although I wouldn't necessarily pass it up for that alone.

I have a 376 Pro Hunter with a normal round bolt handle. Apparently they don't only make the butterknife style.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote