New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Pre-64 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have many Remington 700, and are now considering purchasing a Pre-64 Winchester. I dont know much about the Winchesters but all the rave goes to the pre 64's. I have a couple of questions for the ones who know this rifle. Were the early rifles drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, if not what year and, approximatly what serial number, did they start tapping the receivers to accept mouning a scope. Is there any easy way to mount a scope on a receiver that is not tapped for a mount, if there were some that were not tapped.

thanks in advance for any information you might provide

RINO

Posts: 282 | Location: Florida | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 70s, excluding the 300 and 375 H&H started having the rear bridges drilled and tapped after WWII or at about serial # 66,360, I believe....

The front bridge of all 70s was drilled and tapped from day one.....H&H calibers may show non-drilled rear bridges into the early 1950s....

Stith and Noske made mounts designed to fit into the rear sight dovetail and the front bridge, eliminating the need to drill and tap the rear bridge or install a side mount such as a Griffin and Howe....The downside to the Stith and Noske mounts was the need to mount a straight tube scope in the front ring.....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote