THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Best hunting barrel for a 270 Weatherby Magnum Mark V

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best hunting barrel for a 270 Weatherby Magnum Mark V
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I'm thinking of having my 270 Weatherby Magnum rebarreled. It's purely a hunting rifle. I bought it used about five years ago. Probably need to keep the same contour as I don't want to restock it. I was thinking a 1 in 8" twist stainless barrel so I can shoot some of the newer 165g bullets. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only use Douglas barrels; the first, and still the best, custom barrel maker. All the new makers offer nothing better. While you are at it, make it a 340. You will like it much better.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have custom rifles with Douglass, PAC Nor, Schneider, Shilen, and all of them are quite accurate.

I will say you can never go wrong with a Douglass

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also if the action length with take it the 358 STA is a hammer.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The reason that I use only Douglas is because I have had issues with some of the other newer barrel makers. And best case, they are no better. No reason for me to use them again....
Also Douglas keeps 1000 blanks on hand and they can CNC profile orders fairly quickly.
And yes, 358 would make a much better rifle than a 30 caliber.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I only use Douglas barrels; the first, and still the best, custom barrel maker. All the new makers offer nothing better. While you are at it, make it a 340. You will like it much better.

Thanks for the Douglas barrel recommendations. No need for a 340 as I have a 375 Weatherby and a 500 Jeffery.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shilen barrels have always shot well for me.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Lilja and Shilen barrels and one Kreiger. They all are excellent.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
I rebarreled my dad's early 80's 270 WBY last year...ended up putting a Bartlein 3 contour 10 twist on it...had to open up the barrel channel a slight bit.

I thought about going faster twist but have other calibers that cover the heavier bullets better and the 130gr load hammers deer sized game as it is.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I think about a faster twist.

The 10 twist will handle the 140's and 150's so only do it if you're trying to turn it into a true long ranger. With that said, if you're wanting to use the 160+ in a low drag conformation, a bit tighter twist cant hurt and probably is fine with a 140 too. Call Douglas and ask them. They're always helpful and informative!!!

270 Wby is my favorite that Roy ever put out!!!

I'd also go Douglas. Several of my recent ones have been from them and they're solid! Send them the barrel and they can contour it for you too.

You can spend more and you can spend less but Douglas is just so solid that I'll recommend them to anyone.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite barrel for years has been Lothar Walthers. It seems they all shoot half inch groups in sporter weights.bt lots of good barrels out there Krieger, hart, Lilja, and a host ot others, you get whatcha pay like everything else..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Not sure what I think about a faster twist.

The 10 twist will handle the 140's and 150's so only do it if you're trying to turn it into a true long ranger. With that said, if you're wanting to use the 160+ in a low drag conformation, a bit tighter twist cant hurt and probably is fine with a 140 too. Call Douglas and ask them. They're always helpful and informative!!!

270 Wby is my favorite that Roy ever put out!!!

I'd also go Douglas. Several of my recent ones have been from them and they're solid! Send them the barrel and they can contour it for you too.

You can spend more and you can spend less but Douglas is just so solid that I'll recommend them to anyone.

Zeke

I'm thinking a faster twist for some of the newer 165g bullets Matrix for instance.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive found the 270 is at its best with a 1x10, but have had good luck with 1x12..I have not used the 165 gr. bullet, but am fond of the Nosler 160 so I think I would stick with time proven 1x10 or 1x12.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not a Weatherby I am about to start load development for a new Krieger 23” 1 in 9“ .270 Winchester with all barrel and metal work done up by Mark Penrod Penrod Precision on a pre64 Mod 70 with one of D’arcy’s Legend stocks with some added features and bedding completed by Alex Sitman of Masterclass Stocks. Hoping it will be a tack driver with Nosler Accubonds. Had great results in the past with 1 in 10 twist .270 barrels.
4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I gave my beloved BDL in 270 Win to my son. What a wonderful rifle, killed 9 bears, dozens of elk, mule deer and javelinas with it. Not to mention many varmints as well. My pet loads were 150g Partitions at 3000 fps and Sierra 90 HPBTs at 3400 fps. Still shoots nickel sized groups. I want it back lol! I bought a well used Mark V in 270 Weatherby, trying to bond with it Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

posted Hide Post
I use Rock Creek bbls on all my rifles with great success. I have a 270WBY that is the most accurate big rifle I have ever shot.
Rock Creek 8 twist rem varmint contour.
Try it you will be spoiled.

Posts: 18 | Location: Marion,Al | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey D:
I use Rock Creek bbls on all my rifles with great success. I have a 270WBY that is the most accurate big rifle I have ever shot.
Rock Creek 8 twist rem varmint contour.
Try it you will be spoiled.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Decided to go with a Hart stainless barrel with a 1 in 8" twist on my 270 Weatherby Mark V. They're going to do the entire job including truing the action. Sending my rifle in tomorrow. Finish is going to be CeraKote Midnight Blue. Keeping the same contour and barrel length. Probably take a year, so I guess I'm hunting with my 500 Jeffery until then Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to bet you'll be very happy with your choice. I'd also bet you would have been equally happy with another barrel from any one of the other top manufacturers out there. Just my exceedingly non expert opinion.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I went with Hart because of their reputation and their willingness to do the entire job including truing the action, etc and CeraKoting

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used barrels by many of the better barrel makers. The most accurate rifle I have currently is a Ruger No. 1 in 25-'06 with a Brux barrel that produces sub 1/2" groups consistently.

I also get good results with PacNor and Krieger barrels.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 270 ROY adds stability to long bullets by way of increased velocity. I don't think you need a 1 in 8 twist barrel. That said, 150 grain bullets such a A-Frames and Partitions have always worked well at Weatherby velocities. A 150 Barnes TTSX would work with you added twist. I would fire some factory rounds to make sure it is safe and functions properly.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote