THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Okay lets try it here... huntn rifle question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay lets try it here... huntn rifle question
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
I posted this question in the Big Game forum but aparently they want limit amount of gun talk that goes on there and discuss more about hunting... funny I always thought a large part of hunting was the equipment. Anyways, I'll try it here.
Little breif on my situation. I am right-handed but have been plagued with left-eye dominance and have therefore been forced to shoot left-handed. My family has a long standing trust with the Rem M700 formed through decades of use with no major complaints. So when I went on the market for a new hunting rifle, I turned to Remington first. Unfortunately, they do not offer a left-hand rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag, the cartridge I would prefer. I simply don't have the cash for the KS Mountain Rifle. I have been unimpressed for various reasons with rifles like the Browning A-bolt, Win M70, Savage... and again I am on a budget and can't afford a Weatherby. I really want that Rem but the closest they come to what I am looking for is the BDL in 7mm Rem Mag, which I am considering now. I need to know how the 7mm Rem compares ballistically to the .300 Win. I would also like to know if I can expect to reach the max velocity of 3112 fps from a 24" barrel specified by Nosler with a 160 grain Partition.
For the record this is a combined deer/elk rig for ranges out to 400 yards or more (yes I intend to practice). Thanks for any help and I am sorry this got a little long.

<Kimmo E>
posted
1 Buy a sako 75

2 If you are righthanded use a rh rifle with a extention for the skope to left eye.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
While I personally would always take the 300 win over a 7 mag, I'll admit that I have a general distate for 7mm's, and that for most situations, the performance will be indistinguishable between the two.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more option is the Ruger 77 , which is chambered to 300 W in the left hand version . Especially if you are on a student's budget , it is a very tough rifle for the money . And you get the scope rings with it .

I know some question the accuracy of the Rugers , but such has not been my experience after owning and shooting a number of them since 1971 .

Who knows , we might wean you away from the Remingtons and turn you into a real CRF addict .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tikka are also well worth considering and shoot very well..They come in left handers although I'm not sure of the chamberings..They are also a push feed like the Remington..

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to answer the question originally asked, ballistically speaking there really isn't a lot of differance between a 300 Win Mag and a 7mm Rem Mag. The 300 will make bigger holes, and you can shoot heavier bullets (at slower speeds, not always a bad thing). The 7mm with 160's and 175's theoretically shoots a little flatter downrange. Well, maybe. As for whether you can get 160's at 3100 fps with factory ammo in a 24" barrel, except for a few unusual exceptions (light magnum, high energy), the answer is no. Hope that helped. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like the various 7mags & have never really been a big fan of the .30 cals. A .300WM, 180gr @ 3000fps or a 7mag 175gr @ 2900fps are pretty close to same, same. Energy & drop are about identical to 400yds. I think the .300 would hit a bit harder up close, but really no difference. Good luck w/ your choice!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
I think I forgot to mention that I will be hand-loading... which is my mistake. The Nosler manual lists a max velocity of 3112 fps from a 24" Lilja barrel. I forgot the powder and grainage... my brother just conveyed the information over MSN messanger from the manual.
I'll check out the Ruger and Tikka but I don't think Sako makes a left-hand rifle. I asked them over e-mail about a year ago and they replied that they didn't, but I don't know if that has changed.

<dr280>
posted
Far right,
Why not a Ruger #1? Doesn't matter whether you are right hand or left- you get a 26" tube in the same overall length as any sporter bolt rifle with a 22" tube. The longer barrel give you some increased performance- and just a touch more weight- but in a .300 Mag- the weight is a good thing. Just my thoughts.
Dave

<Charliebuck>
posted
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. A friend of mine bought a left handed Model 700 a few years ago. Did they quit making them lefty?

<FarRight>
posted
Yes they make several models available in left-hand. The problem is that they only have one model, the Custom KS Mountian Rifle, available in .300 Win Mag. I think this is to capitolize on the .300 RUM as there is several models available for that. However, I am not about to spend that kind of money for the decreased efficency and what I feel to be a nearly non-existant performance advantage in the feild. For this reason I am considering the 7mm Rem in a BDL as a compromise to the .300 Win so that I can have a Rem M700.
It is nice of people to suggest other rifles and I will seriously take them into consideration, but chances are, it won't sway me from my beloved M700. I don't want people to think I don't heed their advice or appreciate their opinions, cause I do, but our family is devoted Rem fans. This is why I have been so nitpicky with other models, because they don't say Remington on the barrel. I guess the main purpose of this question was more than anything to find out opinions on the 7mm Rem Mag. Thanks for your advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Far Right,

Apologies as twas me who posted about the gun thing, there have allways been gun related posts on Big Game Hunting it's just that lately it seemed to be all guns and very little hunting!

About your problem - I just wanted to ask how right handed, left eye dominance could be a problem with rifle shooting when you can shut your left eye? I've heard such problems with shot guns and hence the need for Xover stocks but cannot imagine why if the left eye is shut, the vision from the right eye is not used uncluttered by the master eye?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I don't have much experience with the .300 Win Mag, other than shooting a few of them from time to time. I do have experience with the 7mm RM, and I believe it's an excellent cartridge. There is no problem handloading a 160 gr. bullet to 3100 fps, nor is there a problem loading a 175 gr. to 3000 fps, which shoots flat and hits hard.

I have taken game up to and incuding eland with the 175 gr. Nosler partition, and they all died just fine.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FarRight,
I share your pain. I am also left eyed. Except, the rest of me is left sided as well! I am also a student on a budget. I spent the last 6 months looking for a left handed gun, .308, stainless steel, and all I found was a savage. I didn't like the looks of it so I kept looking. Eventually I decided that in order to get a factory gun with what I wanted (finish, etc) I would have to get a right handed bolt. I hunted with a friend's right handed gun last year and did just fine, and it sounds like you have done some hunting with a right handed gun as well. How much priority do you place on a left handed bolt? They sure look and feel nice, but it is very hard to find what you want! And, after years of shooting right handed guns your body is used to it. If you have to have the Remington chambered for 300 WM , buy a left handed gun and have it rebarreled. Not exactly the project for a budget, though. I would also suggest looking at Tikka (I think this was already mentioned). They make blued/wood stock rifle in most popular calibers (including 300 WM) and have a very good reputation. You are correct, Sako does not make a left handed action. Have you considered a semi-auto? The BAR is offered in 300 WM and now 300 WSM. Another good gun for us lefty's (well, you are a quasi-lefty) is a pump gun. And, there are always single shots. I have read on these forums that aimed fire with a single shot (after you practice) is approximately the same as with a bolt gun. Of course theres is the Ruger #1, but there is also the T/C Encore which is inexpensive (about $250 for the frame and $200 for the barrel if you find a good deal) and you can swap out barrels. And, the T/C Encore is LIGHT.

Price wise, the Ruger is probably the least expensive. There are lots of people who don't like Rugers, but also a lot of poeple who love them.

7mm Mag vs 300 WM. I don't know? The 7mm bullets have a higher sectional density than equal weight .300 bullets so they penetrate better. And the ballistic coefficient of a 7mm bullet is usually much better than a .300 bullet, so they fly straigher. The 7mm Mag also kicks a little less than the 300 WM (probably becuase is uses less powder).

Good shopping/hunting. Let us know what you decide.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm right-handed, but shoot left. I find regular right-handed bolt actions, as long as they don't have something screwy like a rollover cheekpiece or something, quick and convenient to shoot (and they're even better from the bench, as is a left hand action for a right hand shooter). Before you go off and buy a left hand bolt, try a regular Remington RH action.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
For the last several years I have been hunting with a right-handed Rem M700 ADL Synthetic .270 Win. I have had the hardest time shooting that gun accurately. I think it is something to do with my inability to get a constant cheek weld or something but I have only recently been able to keep a full mag inside 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Granted this is acceptable for most hunting but I am really looking for better and lets face it, not being able to shoot a rifle as accurately as it can shoot is not very fun, not to mention what it does for your confidence. I also find it a pain having to lower the and switch hand positions in order to manipulate the bolt. I know the gun is capable of better because I've seen my dad shoot MOA or better with it.
And to answer someone's question, no, I have been unable to close my left eye. Beleive me, I've tried... just can't seem to do it.
The BAR and Ruger Number 1 sound like intreging ideas worthy of consideration. Could someone tell me how accurate the BAR is? Also remember I am sort of biased towards the Remington but am not worth enertaining other ideas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a hard look at the new Win. 7mm short mag. I've been told that most of the loads that have been listed for it have been short of hot. With 160 gr Part. it will pretty much cover a LARGE range of game, it will shoot very flat, and it doesn't kick as much as the 7mm Rem. More food for thought. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or, check the used gun market for a LH Rem 700 in either 7mm or 300 Win. They used to make them before the 300 Ultra craze hit town. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey Far-Right,

here's a couple of links for the BARs...a while ago i thought about getting one in .338WINMAG, but ended up buying a nice new CZ550...any hope this helps:
this is the general BAR page
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar.htm
this is just the safari mdl:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar_safari.htm

------------------
"Laws are like sausages, it's better not to see either being made"--Otto Von Bismark

When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I am right-handed, I have poor vision in my right eye and am therefore left eye dominant. I have and use both right and left handed bolt action rifles and while a left handed bolt action rifle is easier and more convenient, I have never felt restricted in my shooting or handling ability by using a right hand bolt action.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
FarRight,

Can you not simply shift your head a bit in order to see through the scope with your left eye? My uncle was an FBI sniper who used an M700 (right handed) but he was left eye dominant and had no trouble.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, i think your missing the point. I shoot left handed also, and although, i can shoot right handed bolts left, and left handed bolts right, i prefer to shoot left handed bolts left. He wants to buy a new rifle, and wants what he wants, a 700BDL LH. He would prefer a 300WM but is considering a 7mm and wants to know how it will perform compared to the 300. FR, if you think the 300RUM has nearly a non-existant performance increase over the 300WM then the 7mm should be fine. I think there is a lot bigger difference in performace between the 300's than there is between the 7mm and the 300wm. I had the same dilemma, and decided to order the 300RUM, but i am second guessing myself, and think i should of ordered the 7mmRUM.

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I also have poor vision in my right eye. I have shot right handed bolt rifles for years, and have gotten used to them. The left handed bolt, surprisingly is more awkward to me. I agree with the Ruger No.1 I bought one in 416 Rigby and it is an excellent rifle, and the stock has no cheekpiece so it's right or left handed. I am pretty sure they make it in 300WM, it comes with rings and is very affordable. Don't know how you feel about single shots, but they are pretty quick if you practice, and have easy access to spare cartridges.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If he has to have a Remington 700 BDL LH, then he has to buy it and use it in whatever caliber is offered or have it re-barreled.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Yes Robert that was the point... I wanted to know if the 7mm Rem Mag could fullfill the same basic function as the .300 Win Mag. I am not interested in the .300 Win as grizzly medicine, only elk and deer. As for rebarreling, I plan on doing that anyways. See, my grandpa and dad both know Mr. Lilja, who has his business in Plains, Montana. If we go with the Remingtons, my brother and I are planning on putting 26" Lilja tubes on them ASAP, reguardless of whether or not we need to.
And thanks for the info guys...

<FarRight>
posted
Yes Robert that was the point... I wanted to know if the 7mm Rem Mag could fullfill the same basic function as the .300 Win Mag. I am not interested in the .300 Win as grizzly medicine, only elk and deer. As for rebarreling, I plan on doing that anyways. See, my grandpa and dad both know Mr. Lilja, who has his business in Plains, Montana. If we go with the Remingtons, my brother and I are planning on putting 26" Lilja tubes on them ASAP, reguardless of whether or not we need to.
And thanks for the info guys...

[This message has been edited by FarRight (edited 04-21-2002).]

<FarRight>
posted
Sorry guys... double tap