New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight stock for new rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been looking to put a HS Precision stock on my new rifle I am building, it will have a 700 action, Douglas #5 contour barrel in 7 mag. Looking for a lightweight around 18-24oz. I do not want a cheek piece cause it will be a right handed gun but will be shooting it left handed. Any suggestion would be helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully other more knowledgeable posters will follow up, I'm not fully versed in aftermarket stocks. I doubt you'll get a HS stock at that low weight. I've heard they are fairly heavy. May need to order the McMillan Edge, Brown Pounder, or maybe the Banser to get down to that weight. Seems like I've read the regular McMillan and HS stocks run around 30-34 oz. Right now the McM Edge runs about $500 and 6 mo. wait time.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ole-270 is right, the HS won't save you a lot of weight with the bedding block that is part of their program. I have a couple of edge stocks from McMilland and love them, very stiff, and very light. I have handled a rifle from Jim Brockman with the Brown lightweight stock and it felt very good--very light, but I have heard of breakage issues with the Brown stocks. I would check into Bansners too, I have heard good things, but not handled one. I hunted with Mark and Ron Spomer who had used them, and said they were really light and stiff--desirable features for sure!

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have anyone out there had experience with the Lone Wolf stocks? They seem to be very light weight.

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mohunt:
Have anyone out there had experience with the Lone Wolf stocks? They seem to be very light weight.

No personal experience but I have read a couple of articles that gave them favorable reviews.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Brown Precision for nearly 20 years & never had a problem

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I have a Lone Wolf lightweight stock on a Colt Light 300 Win. Mag. Very satisfied with it and very light; they did a great job on inletting and rifle is very accurate.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing lightweight about HS stocks. I tend to use McMillan (fiberglass and the new carbon edge). For a gun like yours a standard stock from McMillan or Borden(formerly Pacific Research's Rimrock) would be my choice. With the barrel you have chosen the stock won't save you any considerable overall weight. Additionally, most really light stocks don't have thick enough forearms to support a no.5 channel and remain rigid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must agree with Coltchris. I have a browning A-bolt in 270 wsm that I sent to Lone Wolf for a left hand light weight stock. I got the 16 0z model their lightest in left hand and they did a really nice job fitting it to the rifle. I think it took them around 6 weeks and cost me about $700 a few years ago. It shoots very well.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just a question, why are you going with such a heavy barrel? You could go with a 2-1/2 or 3 contour in a quality barrel and get all the hunting accuracy you need. I've got both Brown and Bansner stocks on a number of rifles. They are light weight, fit well, and no strength problems. My .338WSM wildcat is on a Rem 700 short action, Bansner stock, and has a Shilen barrel. Shoots 3/4" groups with some bullets and loads...and lets me know I've fired it. Weight with scope is right at 6 lbs.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that the Brown Precision stocks are quite strong . When I bedded and finished them I would throw them into the floor or the concrete block wall as a show of durability. Then I would say just do that with your wood stock. I ordered them to my specs as to weight and construction at that time.

I did a couple of the "pounders "and thought that they required a bit of carbon fiber or something.

Manners and Wilddog have some very interesting carbon fiber light weight hunting stocks out now .

Talk to Jim Borden about a stock. You will be
impressed.

Remember that the gun-mounts-optics is a system . You must think about balance and stability when using the rifle. If your stock is too light it will be quite muzzle heavy -this will give problems off bags and while hunting.

Good choice on the Douglas barrel .Photo's are required when you finish this.....with targets of course.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30,06 being restocked by MPI.
I will be getting it back real soon. Say a couple days after christmas.
I guarentee they are light. I picked up and held a couple.
I,ll put some pictures up when i get it back...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prof242

I have switched my mind I am going to go with a fluted #4 contour through Pac-Nor. I am also going to send the action to them to let then do the work.

As for the stock I called HS Precision today and they said they make the sporter stock with what they call the half block, which is lighter, does anyone know how much lighter it is?