Find
Notify
Tools

308 in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
I recall reading that certain military cartridges were not allowed in certain countries for hunting.

Does anyone have that list? Alternatively, does anyone know if a 308 is ilegal somehow?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd maybe ask on the African Hunting Forum section AR?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I'd maybe ask on the African Hunting Forum section AR?

Yep.

But I am sure the 308 is fine for Africa as is the 30/06 and 303.

Many may years ago 1 or 2 states in Australia would not allow any military calibres. In one state a wildcat was made called the 7.7 X 54. A slightly shortened 303 body so 303 would not chamber. That was a very long time ago.

Not sure but I don't think France allows military stuff.

Wasn't 45 calibre "anything" banned in Africa and that resulted in the 465, 470, 475 etc.?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 308Win is fine most places, but a 7.62 x 51 could get problematic...... Roll Eyes

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The French prohibition on rifles capable of chambering military calibres was repealed in about 2010. So there at least .30-06 and .308 are now permitted.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
"Africa" is not a country, so the answer may vary. A lot of the locals own and hunt with the 308 Win in South Africa and Namibia, so I dont believe there are any issues there. But I cant speak for the other countries.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only country I know of is Mexico and you cannot own a 45 ACP or a 7x57 as those are military guns...I don't know if that is still in effect but it used to be. When I worked in Mexico I had to carry a Browning HI Power, and had .308 and 223 rifles furnished..I still prefer the Browning Hi Power to any other defense pistol loaded with ammo I scrounged from the Border Patrol plus P plus load for LE only at the time..deadly stuff..The 308 is fine in all African countres as far as I know..It is as capable a game killer as the 30-06 with 150 to 180 gr. bullets, and that's high praise IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote