Find
Notify
Tools

What would you pick
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
What would you pick for a pack rifle that will see alot of pack board travel, harsh weather and hopefully years and years of use.

Why do you think that is best?

game would be Deer, Goats, Sheep.

Would it be stainless or blued?

(Can you have more than 5 options?)

Choices:
Remington M700
Winchester M70
Tikka T3
Sako
Cooper, M1999, BRNO

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Can't we have some other choices, pleeeeease? thumbdown

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I changed it a bit. It doesn't seem to accept more than 5 options though.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A mauser 98 ! Wink

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah and I missed Rugers too. 5 choices just isn't enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Blaser K95.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kimber 8400 Montana is my choice but it's not listed and it should be.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking M700ti in 7-08?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thank you for putting in Sako, I can vote now. I did like the idea of a Blaser K95. Lightweight takedown, if you can afford it. If not, maybe the TC Encore. Lot cheaper.

270 Winchester of course.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
The Kimber in either 284 win or one of the wildcat variants I think would be fantastic!!!! A 270-284 might be nice.

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Markus,

Steyr ProHunter Mountain Rifle stainless - A shorter 20" barrel facilitates hunting in heavy forests and when climbing is required. Price, quality and out of the box accuracy are hard to beat. I own 3 in 308 - 270 - 30-06 even do Winchester was always my first love, for mountains, pack board travel, harsh weather and years of use the Steyr is an excellent choice.

Success,
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Markus,
I would recommend a Blaser R 93 in 308 or 300 Win Mag. A 270, 30-06, 7MM Mag, etc would be just as good. I would probably take my Blaser K 95 in 308, but I like hunting with a single shot rifle, and I like the K 95 a lot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have picked the Tikka, but you listed Sako, so I picked Sako Big Grin

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Since you said "backpack" I'm with Savage99. Get a Kimber M84 and be done with it. Light weight nice little gun. My choice would be 7-08 or .308 The short magnums are cool but unnessesary.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1903A3 in .338-06

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Marlin 336SS - .30/30 or Lee Enfield No5 Mk1 .303

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing you HiWall! A man I can relate to. I just figured that an answer like yours would be totally shunned. I do stand behind my answer, but your selections will get the job done in the hands of an expirienced hunter too!!

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the Win. ....stainless but I would look at the Kimber.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I think I want to change my vote. I want to go back to my Savage 99 in ,358 WCF. Packrattusnongratus !

<allen day>
posted
For this sort of use I'd order a custom .30-06 with a 22" barrel from NULA. Melvin Forbes knows how to make a good stock and action, plus he knows how to build a truly light rifle that'll really shoot.

AD

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Allen stole my thunder. I have a Colt Light Rifle in 300 Win Mag wearing one of Mel's hand-made stocks and a new trigger that fits the bill. The same concept but a bit cheaper. Since Mel designed them for Colt, he will also service them. The only objection to the gun is only two down in 300, I'd probably go 270 for the animals you describe but would be as happy (almost) with the '06.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I went through the same analysis last summer, before Win. offered the Stainless Featherweight in 6.5x55. If I were looking today I'd go for the SS FW and replace the wooden stock with composite. Lacking that option last Sept. I considered the Kimber and the Model 700 Ti. I liked both but bought a Model 700Ti in 7mm08. The recoil startled me and I added a muzzle brake. I suspect the SS FL's extra 1/2 lb. and 6.5x55's lower recoil would have been a better option for my uses if it had been available. homer

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have mentioned that the SS Featherweight is available in other interesting calibers - some might serve you better than 6.5x55 if you want to shoot a long way. But I'd caution you that, if you've not shot a rifle as light as the ones you're looking at, you might be surprised how much harder they are to shoot well over any distance. I certainly was. homer homer

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, some really good ideas here.

Holzauge, I have seen the ss fw on the winchester site but alas being Canada it takes a while longer for new products to hit the shelves here. 6.5x55 is a great caliber but I am going to go with a 270 Win. I have experience with that caliber and lots of brass and bullets around to start reloading. A 6.5x55 might come later.

I'm not so much concerned about the weight of the rifle as I am about the rifles ability to take abuse and keep working. I don't want to put too much worry into the weight I'm more concerned with accuracy.

Allen, I would love a custom but I am fairly young still and its more money than I SHOULD spend on a rifle to go custom. I could probably afford to do so but it wouldn't be the most finacial responsible thing I've done.

I'm mostly interested in the boring old M700, M70 and Tikka T3. Blasers and Kimbers are pretty hard to find in Canada.

I'm not looking for a rifle that shoots half MOA or anything like that and I'm not a long range shooter. But I do like a consitant rifle. If it is inconsistant I will not use it.

The Kimber would be real nice but the hassle of getting it shipped into Canada and US export laws makes it more trouble than I want.

Thanks for the good opinions.

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
Something stainless in 25-06. Winchester or Interarms keeps it affordable, or Sako for higher budget

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
GET IT IN 270 WINCHESTER! Big Grin

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you handled a Kimber? I have, I'm sold. VERY nice light rifle for the money.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markus:

The Kimber would be real nice but the hassle of getting it shipped into Canada and US export laws makes it more trouble than I want.

I bought one from SIR in Winnipeg, but I am not impressed so far.

Posts: 38 | Location: Between sunrises. | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08 in stainless synthetic. Topped with a Burris Compact 2x7.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Another good choice would be a Weatherby Ultra light. Great gun. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77 MKII stainless syt stocked 338wm

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a model 7 in 7-08 with a 2.5x6. If not, then a model 700 in a boring old 30-06 with a (at most) 3x9.

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
There are just too many very good rifles out there to limit oneself to such a short list.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys must have a lot of free time on your hands and are bored stiff. This thread is over 4 years old.
Just had to make a comment.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
None of the above.

Already have rifle for the specific purpose
proposed. Rifle has been fine, but would change chambering based on more experience with it.

The rifle is a Remington M600 with a 21" Schneider SS barrel, in a very light MPI composite stock. Barrel is blackened with Robar's RP-3; stock has a quick-removable buttplate/pad, and inside the butt I carry a space blanket, map, compass, matches, and 3 cartridges.

The chambering is .243 Remington, but these days I would chamber/barrel it for .260 Remington and use TSX bullets. MIGHT also add iron sights for back-up.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
None of the above.

Already have rifle for the specific purpose
proposed. Rifle has been fine, but would change chambering based on more experience with it.

The rifle is a Remington M600 with a 21" Schneider SS barrel, in a ery light MPI composite stock. Barrel is blackened with Robar's RP-3; stock has a quick-removable buttplate/pad, and inside the butt I carry a space blanket, map, compass, matches, and 3 cartridges.

The chambering is .243 Remington, but these days I would chamber/barrel it for .260 Remington and use TSX bullets. MIGHT also add iron sights for back-up.

.260 would be a great choice loaded w/ solids.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A BRNO 21h in a 7x57

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
------
The rifle is a Remington M600 with a 21" Schneider SS barrel, in a very light MPI composite stock. Barrel is blackened with Robar's RP-3; stock has a quick-removable buttplate/pad, and inside the butt I carry a space blanket, map, compass, matches, and 3 cartridges.
------

Have built similar lightweights with the excellent MPI stocks--though calibre was larger--.308.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Blaser K95, blued in 6.5x65R RWS.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you pick for a pack rifle

Well, if you gonna buy one for me, make it a Sako please. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote