New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet drop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my son asked me a gun question the other day i couldn't answer. IMAGINE THAT!
hes got a mod 70 in 30-06 26"? bbl. he shoots 180 gr rn and 168 gr hpbt at around 2750 fps for arguments sake.
if said rifle is sighted in at 150 yds, how low would it hit at 400 yds?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
that can be looked up pretty easily but then again, at what distance is the scope zeroed as that will have an impact on drop.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
that can be looked up pretty easily but then again, at what distance is the scope zeroed as that will have an impact on drop.

as stated in OP, 150 yds

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
hes got a mod 70 in 30-06 26"? bbl. he shoots 180 gr rn and 168 gr hpbt at around 2750 fps for arguments sake.

So long since I bought a reloading manual but they used to have figures for their bullets. Internet will be full of it.

I just look up quickly and I would say about 27 inches low at 400 yards.

What you will find are figures will often show trajectory based on a zero at 100 yards or perhaps 1 inch high at 100 yards etc.

Won't be many based on zero at 150 yards but easy to do with a table for zero at 100 yards. If zeroed at 100 yards it will be low at 150 yards. Let's say 1 inch low at 150 yards. Then you would "lift" the figure at 100 yards from 0 to .66" at 100 yards. The look at the drop figure given for 400 yards and reduce that figure by 4 X .66" and you will have the figure.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

as stated in OP, 150 yds

it was actually rhetorical rather than interrogatory in nature but Mike seems to have made a pretty good guess.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you use JBM's on-line ballistic calculator. You can vary any number of parameters. It can be addicting.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
I recommend you use JBM's on-line ballistic calculator. You can vary any number of parameters. It can be addicting.

I knew there was a common one but could not remember the name of it. Smiler

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

as stated in OP, 150 yds

oh. ok. sorry

it was actually rhetorical rather than interrogatory in nature but Mike seems to have made a pretty good guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
B L....thank you

mike....i actually have 2 college degrees (not the kind you get on the computer), one in criminal justice and the other in ab psych, but neither alas is from MIT. so my response to your response is.....huh?
also, i had to take a dummy, no credit math course in high school and failed that too, but pretty well aced the other courses. so again...huh?

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:

+1! a very useful as well as user-friendly site.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
First you should assume ~2750 for the 180 and about 2850 for the 168

the 180 will drop ~27" the the 168 will drop ~25.5 @ 400 yards

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i went to that ballistic calculator sight and got exactly those figures too. its now on my favorite places list

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Nearly the same drop.....give or take a weeee bit

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 200 gr. Accubond at 2700 FPS out of my fwt mod. 70 30-06 sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards is 4 inches high at 200, on at 275 and 14 to 16 inches low at 400. ..actual test on targets from a bench rest..I read this other stuff in the books but I suggest its a wake up call to shoot those guns at the known ranges up to 400 or even 500 if you can..Also keep in mind what angle of the shot will do, for instance at common shot is uphill at some pretty steep degrees or downhill at all but straight down, and its easy to shoot high even at long range and Ive seen that many time..The world out there in the mountains ain't in your soft chair with a calculator...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41902 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strelok Pro is your friend

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:

How high is the scope C/L above the bore axis?

What specific brand/weight/type bullet are you using?

Have you actually run your specific load over a chronograph to verify the true Mv?

All of these factors must be known to accurately plot trajectory.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
a 200 gr. Accubond at 2700 FPS out of my fwt mod. 70 30-06 sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards is 4 inches high at 200, on at 275 and 14 to 16 inches low at 400. ..actual test on targets from a bench rest..I read this other stuff in the books but I suggest its a wake up call to shoot those guns at the known ranges up to 400 or even 500 if you can..Also keep in mind what angle of the shot will do, for instance at common shot is uphill at some pretty steep degrees or downhill at all but straight down, and its easy to shoot high even at long range and Ive seen that many time..The world out there in the mountains ain't in your soft chair with a calculator...

How high was the scope C/L above the bore axis?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am always amazed at how people view bullet drop, and many assume that is the end of to shoot well.

WRONG!

How many of you, under hunting conditions, shooting off shooting sticks, can tell the difference 10 and 20 inches at 500 yards??

I know I cannot, with those low power scopes we use for huntin.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67090 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I;m assuming you when what to know what happens when speed is a constant and bullet weight and construction is the variable.

180gr sierra RN will drop 38.6 in

168gr Honady BTHP will drop 28.4 in

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am always amazed at how people view bullet drop, and many assume that is the end of to shoot well.

WRONG!

How many of you, under hunting conditions, shooting off shooting sticks, can tell the difference 10 and 20 inches at 500 yards??

as a kid thru my early 30s we hunted mulies in the rugged west texas mountains lugging gear up one mountain and down the other side and brought out critters the same way. today we "hunt" in stands out to 150 yds. i remember the first time driving thru south texas and wondering why the kids had so many tree houses out in the fields. for real.
son has just put (before deer season started) a gong at a measured 400 yds and couldn't see where his missing rds were hitting. when i told him basically 3 feet low, he had his answer. we'll see what happens after deer season. its not a hunting distance, its a fun shoot thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 03 December 2018 05:17 Hide Post

WRONG!

Definitely not me, for one. At least not under those particular circumstances. But then, if I'm shooting up to 400 yds ( my self imposed max shooting distance ) I'm not using my Africa rifle. Most likely would be either my .270W or .300 Win Mag, with BDC equipped scope cranked up to 12 X. For such a shot the rifle will be as solidly set up as possible and with the BDC scope I can see the difference between 10 and 20 inches at 400 yds.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2031 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

WRONG!

That is why the use of laser range finders and ballistic reticles and confirmation of those reticles by actual shooting is so popular because very few can a estimate what 350 yards versus 425 yards or 6 inches of holdover versus 12 inches of holdover.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote