New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 or CZ 550
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got the green light from the boss to get a new rifle. Having a hard time making a choice. Remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen or CZ 550 in 9.3X62. I'm betting several folks have or have shot both, which would you pick and why? heard and read many pros and cons about both, have owned one Remington but no CZ's. Plenty of Mausers however.

One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
If you like the Mauser action, get the CZ. I have one in 30/06 and I love it. The set trigger is awesome, and it is extremely accurate right out of the box. thumb

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the CZ. However regardless that it will have an extra round capacity over the Remington I would choose the Remington.

Why? I think that the 35 Whelen is just a more practical cartridge that can do all the tasks of the other but has a better bullet selection and is more practical at the lower bullet weight end.

Particularly the 250 grain weights.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Remington in 35. Like the round better and the rifle better.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Remington in 35 Whelen. I have a Rem 673 in 350mag and it's truly a versatile cartridge. Everything from bunnies to grizzly - it's North America's finest all-around round.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both brands and both are great rifles, accurate, dependable, and with great reputations. The only decision I can see for you is what caliber. Me, I'd go for the 9.3X62.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned both as well, sold the remington and kept the CZ!
its a no brainer

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I've had Remingtons but never again, I've had CZs and would be happy buy another.
The 35W might just be the best all round cartridge for the USofA,I don't know. The 9.3x62 is one of the best world wide all round cartridges. clap
Here in New Zealand you can get 9.3x62 ammo but you can't get 35W.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was in the same boat as you. CZ 9.3x62 or Rem 35 Whelen. I was talked into the CZ mainly because there is some concern about the twist rate of the Rem 35 Whelen. I think I made the right choice. My CZ will shoot in the .3's with 286gr Partitions and the set trigger is awesome. I like it so well I bought two more CZs since.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The twist rate was one of my concerns, 1 in 16 for the Remington. I have heard that 1 in 14 or 12 is better for heavy bullets. I am leaning toward the CZ as I like the Mauser CRF actions. Now full stock or American..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the Remington 700 in 35 Whelen. More aftermarket items to enhance your rifle. The new Remington trigger is better. Take a look also at the Remington Model 7 in 350 Remington Mag. Light weight and fast handling.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithrjd:
Got the green light from the boss to get a new rifle. Having a hard time making a choice. Remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen or CZ 550 in 9.3X62. I'm betting several folks have or have shot both, which would you pick and why? heard and read many pros and cons about both, have owned one Remington but no CZ's. Plenty of Mausers however.

My preference is for the 9.3x62 cartridge and for the Reminton CDL rifle!

So.....would recommend the 35 Whelen if you don't reload and the 9.2x62 if you do.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the CZ 550FS in 9.3X62. I have one on order.

Posts: 144 | Location: East MS | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got the green light from the boss

Is there an hidden message here do you realy want a Remington? Wink

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I own both Remington's, and 1 CZ.
Both are great rifles.
I think you will find the Remington to be lighter than the CZ.
My CZ 550 shoots really well, but not as good as my Remington's.
Just what exactly do you plan to hunt with this rifle and where?

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I would like to have a Whelen, I'd have to go with the CZ on this one. Nothing against Remington, I just prefer the features on the CZ...CRF, Scope mounts directly to the reciever, and single set trigger. Hard to find a tougher, more accurate, or dependable rifle for the price.

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
As my name states I love the CZ, but on this one I'm gonna suggest the remington. I've shot one and it was truly impressive, plus I love the caliber.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a sporting/hunting rifle in 9.3x62 the CZ is at the top of the game for ordinary rifles.
If I were going to build/buy a long range accurate rifle it would absolutely be the Remington 700, no other choice to be had, but since you are looking at a hunting rifle believe the CZ would be the choice. Their big bores leave a fair amount to be desired, lots of gunsmith work after purchase, but what I understand the 9.3 and lesser round rifles are just fine as delivered. Hope you reload for purchasing 9.3x62 is not found in every grocery/hardware/sporting goods store in America. Come to think of it, doubt that the 35Whelen is either!! Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a 35 Whelen in a Ruger with 1 in 16 twist. Fine with short bullets, got spooky with some 250gr.bullets. I now have 9.3x62 in a semi-custom Ruger. 286gr bullets are the hammer of Thor. Liked both but I now hunt with the 9.3x62, sold the 35 Whelen and I'm not going back.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love both the 358 and 366 cal rounds. I've gotten rid of or am in the process of getting rid of my 350remy mag in a 673 (selling it on classifieds soon) and my 9.3x74r because I am replacing them with the more powerful 358 norma and 9.3x64. You might consider these if you reload and intend to hunt the big stuff.

However, the 35 Whelen is one of my favorite deer/elk rounds, and the 9.3 is pretty much the same thing but with heavier loads. It really just depends on what size game you'll be after and what distances you plan on shooting that game. The low end of the 35 Whelen will shoot flatter than the 9.3. Good luck on deciding. The best choice is to get both, of course.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do, and will handload for either. Hunting use would be for large game elk, moose and perhaps bear and caribou. I get the chance to travel to Alaska for work and one of these trips I might stay a bit longer and work in some hunting. I have a couple of 6.5's so the lower end is covered but my largest is an heirloom pre64 300H&H. As to distance, once I know a rifle I am usually comfortable out to 300 yards offhand at a large animal. I think both will do the trick. It's the rifle choice that is more difficult. Thinking CZ as I like Mausers. Wife has a model 7 and that is nice rifle as well but no CRF and the extractor is rather small.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comparing a CZ to a Remington is like comparing a Ford to a Yugo...simply no comparison...the CZ is vastly superior in every respect...get the CZ...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 550FS 9.3X62 is by far the best out of the box factory rifle I've ever owned. The only fault is a fairly rough bolt throw, by working the action everyday and good lubrication it has smoothed up nicely. The rifle was extremely accurate and easy to shoot right to the start.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gila Jorge:
Comparing a CZ to a Remington is like comparing a Ford to a Yugo...simply no comparison...the CZ is vastly superior in every respect...get the CZ...

bsflag

Like I said I own both, and both have pros and cons.
Since you plan on using it in Alaska and the West I would look at the Remington 700 in 35 Whelen.
I dont know if they sell it a Stainless synthetic but if they do that would be the ticket.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I ordered a CZ 550 today, will see what it will do in a couple of weeks. Got to get some dies and bullets ordered in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out Grafs, they have the PRVI ammunition, brass, 286gr bullets, and dies. I just got 200 more pieces of brass in and another 500 bullets.
Close to a lifetime supply, with the NEI 4-cavity mould cast bullets I can load to factory velocities and sub-2moa accuracy. 2 275gr and 2 310gr cavities.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

CZ550 in 9.3x62. I'd probably opt for the FS version.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gila Jorge:

Perhaps Gila has been hitting the Mescal a little too hard and/or too often beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get each one!

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the dies on order today as well. Man bullets have gone up in price.. Looked at some Laupua 220g at Midway $86 a box of 50. I was thinking of some light loads for whitetail until an Elk trip can come up. What weight and brand do you all like? Have Varget, RL15 IMR4895, 4064 so I think I should have a couple of powders to try out.

Mike, going to keep the Mauser in 243 as a kids loaner/starter rifle. Later may get the itch again for something different.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
............I , know some people will root and beller about this ,.., But , in my CZ550 FS 9.3x62 the 250 gr X bullets worked great ...I moly coated them and found a load that gave me a full 2600 fps and around 1 inch accuracy ..It doesn,t make a mess out of a deer like some of the lead core bullets do ...Doesn,t boot ya too bad ....Is almost as flat shooting as a 338 and hits like a 375 ...Plus it uses just over 60 gr of powder ......With a laminated , or synthetic stock you have the very differing conditions well taken care of if you come up here with it ...If you have it CeraKoted or some other impervious finish applied you are in great shape ...I looked at all the ballistic data I could find before I settled on the 250 gr Monometal bullet ....This spring I will be trying the 230 gr GS HV bullet in my 9.3x64 and I will also try the 260 gr GS HV bullet .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo

I guess we all need a laugh from time to time.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote