New
Find
Notify
Tools

grafs 9.3 bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i see that grafs has their 9.3mm dia. 286 grn softpoint bullets on sale. does anyone have experience with these? are they a little soft like the speer 270 grn? everyone's experiences with these are appreciated.

thanks

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter sent me a really good test on 9.3 bullets. If you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you. The PRVI looks like the Mega but it didn't test so well. I'm sure it would be good enough for anything in the lower 48.

I stocked up on 250 Accubonds 2nds when they were available so I am set.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The Privis tested adequate on very tough test conditions with lots of cow bones in the middle of news paper etc. I am sure some of the guys use them on buffalo in Africa and plenty of hogs are shot with them.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did they compare with the 286 Nosler Pts. and the 286 Hornady Sps, if you also tested these? My 1937 Obie Type B will put these bullets over 65-66-Big Game into a sub-moa group at 100 M, both bullets strike the same POI.

I have not tested my customized Brno-ZG-47 original factory 9.3 as yet with this load as the weather has been so wet, however, I hope and kinda expect that this superb rifle will do the same.

My customized Dakota 76-.338WM, will also do this with 250s of both makes over a healthy dose of RE-22 and these two cartridges are my hands-down favourites for BC hunting, given the increasing Grizzly problems we have been having in recent years.

So, what is the Privi 285 like compared to these bullets, as we can buy them here in Canada, quite inexpensively?

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I've been testing my two 9.3x62 rifles lately, sorting out the best loads. It so happened that I had a batch of the Lapua Megas loaded up, in Lapua brass from 2005. These were the final results of testing I did back then when I only had a FN with a PacNor barrel. So I tried them in the Ruger with the Douglas barrel, and got very small groups. Then I substituted the Prvi bullets in the nex handload batch, same powder and charge and brass. Same results. No challange there.

So then I tried some of the fresh Prvi handloads in the FN, and the groups were good, but that rifle likes the Lapua bullets better. Yesterday, I went back to the range, for a follow up and final adjustments to the scope, and got a group that was almost one-hole. Actually it was one-hole, only slightly enlarged, but easily 1/2 inch. That's with the Megas.

Anyway, my point is that I have a lot of confidence in the Lapua Mega bullets, and they are very accurate in both my rifles, with the right load. So, for practice, and other uses, the Prvi and Mega bullets are practically interchangable. Surely the Prvi bullets are good for hogs and deer, and a lot more. For stuff like moose, bear, or anything dangerous, I'll use the Megas, but that's a rare occasion. I may never hunt moose or bear again, and if I do, I may not use the 9.3x62 anyway. In the meantime, I enjoy having inexpensive bullets to feed my 9.3s and so I shoot more often and keep in practice.

I ordered a fresh batch of Prvi while they are on sale, and I already have several hundred of the Megas.

BTW, I tried some Nosler partitions, and the Hornadys too, and they are accurate, but I've not taken game with either. I'm sure they are great bullets, but I doubt that either can be better than the Mega.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have,nt tried hunting with em, but in my gun, a great little plinker. I,ve got a CZ 9.3 that does,nt seem to like partitions, but it does like A-frames, and the privi,s. Same case, same charge of Varget, same point of impact. Cannelure is about the same between the two.. And with a little bit of Scotish blood in me, it,s a lot easier to do some plinkin and fine tuning with the privi,s. A few verification shots with the A-frames, and off to the races..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woops. 286 grain A-frames. Is what I should have said...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot an elk ,a couple deer, a black bear and a big steer with them now. They work really well at x57 velocities (2230 fps) with typically about 75-80 percent weight retention in the bullets recovered.
The core alloy seems a little hard and I personally use other bullets in my x62's but if your shooting a x57 they certainly seem to be the berries.

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is this springs blackie and a pic of the privi that was found under the offside hide after busting his shoulder, weight retention was 74%. This is typical of these bullets in my experience and muzzle velocity out of the 9.3x57 was 2230 fps @ 15 feet.

Posts: 88 | Location: Prince Rupert BC | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote