THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    For PG: 7mm RMag - pick a bullet...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For PG: 7mm RMag - pick a bullet...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
I'm headed to SA for a PG hunt in June and trying to decide on my 7mm Rem Mag load.

I can do either:

3,000 fps, 150 gr. TSX
2,850 fps, 175 gr. A-Frame

Accuracy is superb: Both shoot 1" groups at 200 yards. Trajectory is +/- 2" at 400 yards.

Which do you choose?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were limited to just these two, I'd pick the 175g A-Frame.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
If I were limited to just these two, I'd pick the 175g A-Frame.

Everyday of the week. tu2

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Agreed A-frame!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
150 gr TSX would be for me.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Us e the TSX and you will also have your So Cal pig load

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
/snicker: vote's 50-50 so far! Smiler

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 160gr is the magical weight in a 7mm...perfect balance of trajectory and power.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
A 160gr is the magical weight in a 7mm...perfect balance of trajectory and power.

Have to agree with the above. I've taken a 7mm Mag on 4 different plains games hunts and a 160 Gr Nosler has worked well for everything up to zebra and wildebeest.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TommyII:
quote:

Have to agree with the above. I've taken a 7mm Mag on 4 different plains games hunts and a 160 Gr Nosler has worked well for everything up to zebra and wildebeest.

+2

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
/snicker. So it's 2 for 150 tsx's, 3 for 160 partitions, 2 for 175 AFrames.

So, does anyone think any of the above listed bullets won't do the job? Smiler

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All are fine, except perhaps for Eland. I'd go heavy there.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
I can't resist! stir

The TSX's will pinch shut, either in the mag or on hair/hide & impact...if they even get there at all, being a light monometal that is sooooo suceptible to wind drift... homer

The Partitions will probably break in two or smear so much of their front core so as to be merely a solid... cuckoo

Teh A-Frames will have such a rainbow trajectory you'll have to stalk within 100 yards (if not 50), and I'm sure you've dialed in your scope for an 800 yard zero faint

So, why don't you just stay home, and let me take my .270 over in your place? tu2

I suppose, though, you could just stack the magazine in decending order...175 in the pipe, 160 1st down, 150 2nd down, but that would be a bit of an inconvenience, no? Wink

Enjoy the hunt! And pay no mind to screw-balls like me! nilly

God bless,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, not fair!!!! I didn't know the 160 partition was on the table. Of course I'd choose the bullet that has been killing big game for over 60 years. The 160 or even 175 partition would be an easy choice for me.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
I can't resist! stir

The TSX's will pinch shut, either in the mag or on hair/hide & impact...if they even get there at all, being a light monometal that is sooooo suceptible to wind drift... homer

The Partitions will probably break in two or smear so much of their front core so as to be merely a solid... cuckoo

Teh A-Frames will have such a rainbow trajectory you'll have to stalk within 100 yards (if not 50), and I'm sure you've dialed in your scope for an 800 yard zero faint

So, why don't you just stay home, and let me take my .270 over in your place? tu2

I suppose, though, you could just stack the magazine in decending order...175 in the pipe, 160 1st down, 150 2nd down, but that would be a bit of an inconvenience, no? Wink

Enjoy the hunt! And pay no mind to screw-balls like me! nilly

God bless,

friar

Ok, that's one of the best posts ever! yuck

Dang Friar, that's one heck of a generous offer! Smiler

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
2850fps is a magic velocity in Africa. If it is as accurate as you say, then go with the AFrame.

For Africa, even if going with monometal, I would go with heavier rather than lighter. Barnes now makes a 168 grain LRX with a .550 BC. When we carry a light rifle in Africa we shoot 225 grain TTSX at 2800-2850fps. I would recommend a similar trajectory for the 7mmRM with the heavier bullets. If you want to try out a kick-butt new bullet, then the CEB 135 gr. CopperRaptor with 6-petals jumping out would be worth some serious testing.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is a perfect example of #1 in Mike Dettorre's "wall-o-text" signature. Big Grin

Take the A-Frames and go kill shit!

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have used 7mm 140 gr. Hornady's, 160 gr. A-frames, 150 gr. TSX's and 140 gr. SGK's on all PG except Eland. All worked well if properly placed. Use the one that you shoot the best. I got yelled at by the cook for doing too much meat damage using Speer 140 gr. "hot core's".......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I had perfect performance from the 175 A-Frames in a .280, from Zebra to Gemsbock, out to 300 yds. It gets my vote!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Damnit, Bones!...I want entertainment, not information! space

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Around these parts the 7 RM is a magic round in it's self....no bullet necacary

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
All are fine, except perhaps for Eland. I'd go heavy there.

+1

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I like the TSX.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
160 accubond, if it is accurate in your gun.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 160 Partition bullet. It shoots sub-half-minute in my rifles. That being said, it is hard to argue with the 175-grain bullet. Extra weight is not a bad thing.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes all of the above will work just fine. That being said I would choose the 175 Gr bullet it worked for Bell it will work for you too. It just takes all the guess work out of the equation. You'll not have any questions about terminal performance or penetration using a 175 gr SAF. Period end of story.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frame.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best results I've had with the 7mag. and even the 7x57 is the 160 and 175 gr. nosler..I like Nosler for PG, and our deer and elk in that they expand 'quickly" and still penetrate deeply and almost always give you and exit hole and I like an exit hole that helps push blood out making tracking easier...If Eland and Blue Wilderbeest are on your ticket then I would probably opt for the 175 gr. Nosler, but both have worked well for me over the years on both species.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently shot a cow elk in her bed at 443 yards. The 160 Partition blew through both shoulders at that range. Nearly perfect performance in my book.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After fooling with and spending too much money on various monometal bullets I went back to Partitions. Their consistency is admirable and their effect deadly. I vote for the 160 gr. Partition

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Plus whatever number we're up to for a 160gr bullet. For me it would be the Sierra Gameking SPT at 3000fps. It is always accurate and killed hundreds of hoofed animals for me in my 7x61 rifle over the years without any drama.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sbhooper:
I just recently shot a cow elk in her bed at 443 yards. The 160 Partition blew through both shoulders at that range. Nearly perfect performance in my book.

The Partition works well at longer ranges, but I am far from being a fan of it at shorter ranges.
The Swift A-frame works great at short ranges, but the BC and expansion at longer ranges is a bit of a lackluster in my opinion.

My bullet of choice would without a doubt be the 150 grain Barnes TTSX bullet.
Great BC, great penetration, holds well together at shorter ranges and give good expansion at longer ranges(better than the TSX bullet).
My clear favorite bullet in faster cartridges.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience with the 225 A-Frames in 338 calibre in Namibia, which was 100% positive on Oryx and Hartebeest I would go for the 175 A-Frame load.

If I was taking a 7mm Mag to Africa I would load it with the 160grain Lapua Naturalis.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coming back to the criteria listed in your original posting asking to choose the 150 TSX or 175 AF I would choose the Swift. Heavier is always better and at that speed it will certainly deliver the goods out to 300 yards. If heavier game is on eh list like Eland the 175 is perfect.

Good luck on your hunt.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of experience with the 175 gr. Nosler Partition on game from jackals and coyotes up to a couple of eland and everything in between. I'd recommend it, because it's all I use.

I'm certain that a 160 gr. Partition or a 175 gr. A-Frame would be a great choice as well.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 160 gr TSX back in 2005 on everything including Black Wildebeest, Kudu, and Oryx with outstanding results. PH was relatively unfamiliar with them at first and was somewhat skeptical. At the end of the hunt he said he was going to get some for his rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, choose the Swift A-Frame. Especially Africa. Others have already mentioned some of the "toughies" like eland ,oryx, and wildebeest. You didn't mention the animals you would like to hunt. If giraffe is even a remote possibility on your wish list, I will reiterate my choice of the 175 gr. SAF.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Right, so my game "menu" includes the Beests and Gemsbok. If I saw a truly great Eland I'd want to give it a go but it's truly a "target of opportunity" as opposed to a primary.

And that's just it: I know a 175 A-frame will work for everything. On the other hand I'm sitting on a boatload of 150 E-tips and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't work either. If one assumed an 8-10% weight loss on the A-Frame then the finished weight of each bust really is a wash. 160 vs 150...

Sticking with the 150's means I have a single universal load for everything. I rather like that option.

In the end I suspect it's all just synthetic frippery. As Mike Detorrie points out...15 grains and 150 fps...

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Robert
I'd stick with the 150's. If they shoot well then they definitely offer a slight advantage with less drop at longer distances. Make good shots and you'll have great kills.

I too am headed to SA in June for Plains Game, decided I'd bring my old 30/06 and right now it's shooting 165 Accubonds really well and they are going 2920 fps. They aren't my first choice but I have absolute confidence that they will do the job if I do.

Good luck on your trip!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote