Find
Notify
Tools

Did I get a good deal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
At Walmart there was clearance ammo, 7mm RM $9 for Federal Premium Vital-Shok 150 Grain Nosler Solid Base Boat-Tail. I got 3 boxes, was this a good buy? Now for the crazy stuff...300 Weatherby Remington Gold Box $12. Scirocco's I think...I couldn't read it good and I couldn't go behind the counter. Thanks for replies.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal to me. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna start reloading, but Walmart had some shells left. Is this a good enough deal I should go buy them out? If nothing else I could probably sell them for more than $9 a box and turn a profit.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy all they have. It is nice to have a stock pile of factory ammo, even if you do reload.

I do not think you could reload for that price.

The 150 Nosler Solid Base would be great for all game up to and including caribou.

I would recommend a premium bullet for elk and up.

PS Midway has Remington brass at $9.19 per 20, buy ALL the Federal 7MM ammo Wal Mart has at that price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. You stole that ammo.

Smiler

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I think it's discounted because I dont think Federal makes that ammo anymore. I couldn't find it on their website. If this bullet is good for caribou, will it expand on deer? It has a deer on it, but on the website the only other 7mm load is a weatherby with almost identical ballistics and is recommended for Large game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
That is great deer, sheep, goat, antelope, etc ammo.
I would not hesitate to use it on caribou or black bear.

Buy it all.
Up to say 3000 rounds or so. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No kidding,thats a good price for components alone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Ha, I wish I could afford 3000 rounds. I might spend $100 on it. 9 boxes I'd guess, 180 rounds would last me a long time especially when I start reloading.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Strange things happening out there. I just bought two boxes of 30-06 Federal premium with 180 TBBCs for $22 a box.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Well...30-06 and 270 are $5 a box for Wincheser powerpoints and 30-06 TBBC was $7. 30-30 was still $11 though. I guess to many people still buying them. 22 Hornet, 9not popular around here) was $5 for a 50 round box. The WSSM Ballistic Silvertip were $3.50 because no one buys them around here, and the WSM's were $7 for BST. Craziest deals I've ever seen. I could probably buy all their ammo on sale for a couple hundred and sell it to a local gun shop for twice that.