Tools

A Nice New Chambering for
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Lever actions and single-shot rifles?

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st327_110707/

This new (sorta) Federal cartridge looks to me as if might be just dandy for the handloading woods loafer. Chambered in either .308" or .311" groove diameter barels, and shooting about 115 grain cast bullets, either plain-based or gas-checked, I can see all kinds of utility to it.

AS noted in the article linked above, ut would enable a guy to use the .327 Mag, .32 H&R Mag, , . 32 S&W Long, or the plain old .32 S&W interchangeably, if & as desired....

What do you guys think?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. It doesn't seem to have gotten a particularly warm welcome from the handgun crowd, but when I heard about it, I automatically pictured a .308-groove barrel in a small framed single shot rifle. Sort of a rimmed-300 whisper. If I'm not mistaken, the whisper shooters have 1 or 2 recipies suitable for short-range deer hunting utilizing somewhat lightly constructed ~125gr. bullets. Reminds me a bit of some of the more capable 30-ish caliber rook/kangaroo rifles.

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be nice in a Ruger #1 or #3.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesGuys, it seems to me we could do the same thing with a 32-20 rifle souped up. This of course gives you hoter commercial ammo but if you reload, and I'm sure you do, would there really be anything new here? coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
32 UltraMag

dancing

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesGuys, it seems to me we could do the same thing with a 32-20 rifle souped up. This of course gives you hoter commercial ammo but if you reload, and I'm sure you do, would there really be anything new here? coffeeroger

Hi, Roger. Merry Christmas to you.

There are a few advantages to this round over the .32-20 as I see it. (Not big advantages, but advantages none-the-less.)

!. You can walk into a store (someday in the near future, I hope) and buy factory-loaded, hotter loaded, ammo. Once in a while, that might be handy as heck.

2. You can shoot the much milder .32 S& W in the same gun with no modifications, which can be downright neat for cottontails, that sort of thing, where you might want as much camp meat from the animal as possible.

3. The much stronger brass would be kind of like a ".32-20 Everlasting" case. The .32-20 brass is pretty thin around the mouth and sometimes a bit frail around the primer pocket as well. Mine does last a long time in my Remington M25 carbine, but then I use quite moderate loads in it. With the new round I could use some more potent stuff and still presumably expect quite good case life...

Anyway, I am a long time admirer of the .32-20, so am not bad-mouthing it.

I just see this new .327 Federal as sort of a little bit milder .32 Miller Short, which I know from the schuetzen matches to be a very accurate round, and capable of using all kinds of loads well, from weak to very potent. ...And the .327 Fed Mag will be commercially available, which the Miller Short really isn't. popcorn

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote