New
Find
Notify
Tools

285gr prvi ammo for 9.3?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up 4 boxes for a decent price (in AK, its hard to do with shipping and all).

Anybody have knowledge of this bullet? would you use it on bear? or just punching holes in paper?

Thanks

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot paper targets and cans with Hansen ammo from former Yugoslavia in my 7x57. It was proly loaded in the same plant. I would use 19.5g TUG or 18.5g Mega for large bears. If you switch to .375H&H the problem with availability of guality ammo will go away.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
What 9.3???

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
x62

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a nice bull with mine last year. The stuff is accurate in my CZ FS.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I used the 285 Prvis as an inexpensive work-up bullet for my 286 NPT reloads. Never shot anthing but paper. However, they did what I intented - Pretty much gave the same velocity and pressure indications as the NPTs.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Prvi ammo in 9,3x62 has worked very well for me; it's accurate, the brass is good and it's inexpensive as all get out. There has been quite a bit of discussion of this ammo, the 285 gr. Prvi bullet, and its use on game on the Swedish Civilian Arms board, for instance:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=119485

Looks like that bullet is pretty good on American game in the x62 but perhaps a bit soft for the larger African game like buff. This bullet is also a peach for 9,3x57 use.

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
It's a decent bullet, there is little need for high-tech bullets in the 9,3. Reasonable speed does it. I would not think twice about going for large bears because of that bullet.

I use bonded 9,3 bullets (Norma Oryx) for hunting with 9,3x62 but that's just because I stumbled upon a truckload of them for a price next to nothing. Go ahead with the PRVI bullets, if they shoot well in your rifle then you can hunt anything with them.

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If you're worried about the bullet just pull them & replace them with these.

Barnes 286 gr triple shocks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I have some 250gr barnes I need to work up a load for but I paid about $14/box for the prvi's.

I was curious what folks thought about them.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PRVI 9.3 ammo shoots well in my CZ. The brass is outstanding I've loaded some 14 times with no case failure or loss of neck tension. The Graf brass is the same stuff.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
For a definative study of 9.3 projectiles read this:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PRVI ammo I have purchased is longer than Norma ammo. In Husq rifles, they can get stuck in bottom of magazine if I put more than two down. These are the 285 bullets. Don't know why PRVI loads them longer. May not be a problem in CZ or others.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrBerg:
It's a decent bullet, there is little need for high-tech bullets in the 9,3. Reasonable speed does it. I would not think twice about going for large bears because of that bullet.

thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote