Find
Notify
Tools

.280 or 7mm Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280Ackleyrized: So..7mm mag...hah...why do i need all that recoil??

Muzzle energy is muzzle energy; if you get the same momentum with a lighter rifle, how is the recoil any different?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, the recoil generated by the 7mag is a real doozy Roll Eyes.

Chuck

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by 280Ackleyrized: So..7mm mag...hah...why do i need all that recoil??

Muzzle energy is muzzle energy; if you get the same momentum with a lighter rifle, how is the recoil any different?

Because the weight of the powder charge is also part of the "ejecta weight".

Even if the buulet weight and MV are the same, the round that has more powder mass in the "ejecta" will have the higher recoil energy.

If a round burns 10 more grains of powder to achieve the same Mv with a similar bullet, the recoil would be similar to the round burning 10 grains less powder propelling a bullet weighing 10 grains more @ a similar Mv..

The more significant difference would be muzzle blast, especially with the shorter barrel lengths.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on the rifles you have now, I think for an elk rifle I would get a 338 Win Mag.
If I KNEW I was going to Africa in ther near future I would get a 375H&H.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:

The more significant difference would be muzzle blast, especially with the shorter barrel lengths.

Agreed, although it doesn't sound like a very big difference.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:

Agreed, although it doesn't sound like a very big difference.

I also agree but there would not be that big of a difference in Mv either in the shorter barrel lengths when loaded to similar pressure.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 7mag mainly because the first one that I got was on a trade and I now have two. The bottom line now is that I would not hesitate to buy a .280. That extra bit of velocity in the mag is not necessary with the excellent bullets that are now available. I think that the recoil issue is rediculous because the only time recoil really matters is at the range or if you have a physical condition that makes you unable to handle it. My mags loaded with 175's kick no more than any '06 that I have ever shot. The recoil difference is mental. If you shoot mainly deer with an occasional elk etc. trip, you will not be undergunned with a .280. Buy what you want and just go shoot it!

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote