Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solids For 9.3...
 Login/Join

posted
I was just wondering who does a good quality flat nose solid for the 9.3 that is relatively easily available, say Lapua rather than GS Custom...

Also what are the quality of the 286grn round nose solids from Barnes like?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Solids in the 9.3 = Woodleigh - that's it apart from the GS and Barnes monometal

The woodleighs are copper washed steel jackets? I gather that the lands should not bite past the copper which is just as well as mild steel is very bad for barrel wear.

I wondered if someone could turn down the Speer .375 Africa Tunsten Solids down to .366. The jacket enclosing the core is very very thick and could easily be reduced. The issue is accurately doing it.

posted Hide Post
Any idea who might stock the woodleigh in the UK? At least as a solid you could have a box posted to you...

I have not come across anybody who has used the Barnes monometal and I don't know just how tough it really..Also I have dropped Barnes an email asking if the intend doing their new banded solid in .366...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Pete,

The old Barnes solids are fine, assuming you can find them there. I wouldn't worry about getting caught up in the hype about blunt nose and banded solids. I'm sure they are just wonderful but the old Barnes solids are too.

You should get the biggest bang for the buck, penetration wise, with the heavy for caliber bullets, like the 320 gr. Woodleighs, but if you can't get them, it's irrelevant. I wouldn't worry about it.

I am assuming this is for buffalo(?).

Good luck.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to believe all that hype about flat nose solids and have proven it to my satisfaction on Buffalo, for brain shooting elephant I doubt that it would make much difference...I also know the banded bullets create less pressure...

I shoot both Northfork Flat nose solids and GS flat nose solids in my 9.3x62, for one thing they are more accurate in most rifles...

If you shoot the 320 gr. Woodleighs in a 9.3x62 you definatly need a 26 inch barrel and load them hot, otherwise use the 286s....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, I said they are probably wonderful Smiler.

The POTENTIAL problems are lack of powder capacity with monolithic bullets and feeding blunt nose bullets.

I think there are some folks that get all wound up with the latest craze, and think they can't kill anything without them. If Pete can only get old style Barnes solids, he shouldn't feel like he is going to die over it. Cool

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents,

I have no real "need" for the solids as yet, but I would like to try some for future reference so to speak.
And yes I was asking the question with buff in mind..

I had an email back from Barnes and they advise they have no immediate plans to bring out Banded solids in the 9.3, but might reconsider in the future. So anybody who would like to see them available, e-mail barnes and registor your interest!

1894mk2,

If I decide order some of the ordinary Barnes solids are you interested in a box or two?

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
Any idea who might stock the woodleigh in the UK? At least as a solid you could have a box posted to you...

Pete E,

I use to buy my Woodleighs direct from Australia. No one in Sweden can compare with "Ammo Dumps" prices (including freight AND V.A.T!)
thumb
Link: http://www.theammodump.com/woodleig.html

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

If you are willing to hold them for me (and me to pay you for them) in 2023 (when my kids will graduate university) I will take you up on your kind offer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day,
The Woodleigh 286 PP or 286 rn solid are all I use in my 9.3x62, both shoot to the same point of aim at 100m,150m and 200m, which is always handy. The Barnes 286 solid is great, but very expensive here in Australia, more than twice the price of Woodleighs, so I haven't played with it much, execpt to find that they foul my barrel badly.
I suppose it is whatever you can get, Barnes, Woodleigh, Speer, R.W.S, GS custom, that will do the job at a price you can afford. Even the Speer 270 gr, which is about the cheapest 9.3 projectile I could find here, works fine on large (asiatic water buffaloe) thin-skinned game. I probably would not use them on Cape Buff though, for them I think I would stay with Barnes or Woodleigh. The critters are about the same size, but cape buff seem harder to kill, to me anyway. That is just my opinion, if they work for you, by all means, go for it!
If you cannot find a stockist in your counrty, Woddleigh will still ship direct, but beware of restricted imports in todays post September 11 world.
Just my $.02 worth.

Cheers, Sambar 9.3

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked up loads for both the Barnes and Woodleigh 286 grain solids. I have not had a chance to use them, therefore, I cannot comment on their terminal qualities. From comments on the African board, both are held in high esteem. I thought the Barnes were pretty accurate and fast until I tried the Woodleighs! The Woodleigh is very accurate in my rifle and shoots at a good velocity (2300+fps) from a 22 inch barrel.

My load for the Woodleigh puts it dead on at 50 yds, just under the 286 Partition, which is dead on at 100yds, with the 250BT about two inches above the Partition at 100 and dead on at 200. I must be living right! Ku-dude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kdude

Out of curiousity what rifle is that in 9.3?? Sure shoots well...

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day,
Kudude, I don't think you will be disappointed with either the Barnes or Woodleighs, they both have very good reputations, both here in Australia, and in Africa. It's just a pity they are so expensive!
Still, I guess I don't shoot a whole lot of them anyway, even at targets, so it all works out in the end. I would sooner have a projectile I can count on for that "once in a lifetime shot", you know?
How have you found the Nosler partition 286 on big critters? I am trying to justify spending the $100 or so it will cost for a box of 50 vs the $45 the Woodleighs cost here.
Sounds like your rifle is sorted, now for that "once in a lifetime critter", best of luck!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Solids for 9.3 mm:

Rhino bullets: http://www.rhinobullets.co.za/specifications.htm

North Fork (flat nose solid): http://www.northforkbullets.com/ [North Fork does not have their solid pictured, so send an email and ask for a price. I just ordered 200 bullets from them.]

GS Custom (flat nose solid): www.gscustom.co.za

Woodleigh (FN FMJ): http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/Bullets.html#Anchor-16971

Barnes (RN solid): http://www.theextremehunter.com/site/448423/product/SOL-36612

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote