New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am Canadian and having trouble locating a source to purchase 300 Savage ammunition. All help and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Brair

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you handload converting .308 brass is simple. If you don't handload but know someone who does then you might buy them a set of .300 Savage dies and ask them to make you some ammunition.

By the way, the .308 should never have happened. The .300 Savage already existed and is a more advanced design than the .308. I suppose that the military designers simply had to justify their pay, or used the excuse that loading the Savage to military pressures might endanger some older lever actions and autos that are chambered for it. However, that didn't stop them from boosting pressures in the .223 to "5.56" pressures even though the "5.56" ammunition chambers and fires in (supposedly) "tighter" .223 chambers and thus creates a high pressure situation.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,,
Im diametrically opposed to your view on the 308, but would lay down my life for your right to express.. rotflmo

My dad would have supported your view!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
was at the Oaks (pa) gunshow this weekend vintage table had 7 boxes of Rem 150gr at $75 a box

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've formed it out of 308 as well as 243 cases that I had lying around.
I'm sure there are other cases that are useable w/o going to extra long examples like the 57mm Mauser cases etc.
7mm-08 would work, 358 WIN,,

Nothing more than the 300Sav dies are needed.
Anneal the cases first. Run them into the 300 FL sizer.
You'll have to trim the now too long necks to down to proper length.

Then you have 300Savage cases.

De-burr and chamfer the mouth lightly.

Some say the made to order cases will need neck reaming or outside neck turning as the brass is too thick.
I didn't experience that at all.
But I can see where it could happen with some makes and/or calibers of donated brass cases.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I guess I missed the part where the OP said he was a handloader.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The info was given if the OP had a friend that would reload for him.

I had the same success and methods as 2152 although there was A LOT of trimming.

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
I guess I missed the part where the OP said he was a handloader.

It is hands down the best option for acquiring 300 savage ammunition. And the OP did ask his question in a forum called Accurate RELOADING!

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

I had the same success and methods as 2152 although there was A LOT of trimming.

Hip

This is what I use.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:

Hip

This is what I use.

That would certainly make things easier! Fortunately I'm set with .300S brass and don't PUSH my loads, so the brass lasts a long time.

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen the 300 savage used on deer elk and pronghorn horses and cattle, I was a young hunter in those days and it was the magnum of its time, I swore someday Id own one, but when that day arrived some 50 or more years ago, opted for a 308 in the 99...I was a rare reloader in that the locals thorght that was dangerous whichcraft..but in reality I could load my 308 to a 30-06 up or down to a 300 Savage or 30-30 for that matter..

Someday out of nostalgia to an uncle, I might pick up a 300 savage 99, just for the hell of it, or to match my 250-3000, 30-30, & 308. I have collected 99s and pre 64s off and on

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You need a 99 in 358 to round it out with that 300 Savage.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 358 m-99 and shot two Mule Deer with it and it did them well..one left a hell of a blood trail and was an easy find. they got expensive as hell. wish i had kept it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120