New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win.Mag hunting Bullets
 Login/Join

<rws2>
posted
I'm looking for opinions on bullets to use in my 338 WM especially Nosler Partitions.I can't seem to decide whether to try 210s or 225s.
I will be shooting whitetails and possibly black bear and wild boar (if I get lucky)
If I get really really lucky and draw a Maine Moose somewhere down the road then add moose to the list.I have no desire to hunt the Big Bears and unless I hit the lottery will never be lucky enough even to hunt where there is any big bears.
So with that all said would you lean towards 210s or 225s if they shot equally as well outta your rifle?

<phurley>
posted
rws2 -- I shoot a .340 Wby and my favorite bullets are the North Fork in 225 grain bullet and 250 grainer. I have also had good luck with Nosler Partition and Gold, Barnes X and XLC, and Swift A-Frame. Your barrel will tell you what it likes, shoot it enough to find out. Personally I like the heavier bullets, the original design of the .338's and up was to shoot the heavy bullets fast. The heavier .338 bullets have the better Sectional Densities, therefore better penetration. Good shooting. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
rws2,

My dad has been using the 230 gr Failsafe in my .338 for the past two seasons now and it has been an excellent performer. It probably would be just the ticket for a tough animal like boar. As for the partitions I would opt for the 225 gr. bullet as it will serve you well on any North American game.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts.....Why do you need a .338 mag for whitetails?? It will surely work but certainly more than is required.

Lots of very learned .338 shooters rave about the 210 NP's as the only bullet one needs in the .338 mags. The only .338" I shoot is a .338-06 and 225's are as low as I have gone, as I prefer the 250's. The 225 NP's at 2650 fps are enough to shoot through elk at even 300+ yds! At .338 Win Mag velocity one will probably do the same at 400 yds.

I would try the 210's but slow them down to 2800 fps or so and see how they work. Unless your consistently shooting at 300-400 yds that should be all you need. Or try the 225's somewhere under 2700 fps. I have never seen ANY deer that was tough to kill when hit properly. For a fat old bear the 225's would be my choice. I just don't think you need a lot of velocity here with the .338" bullets, not on deer or bear anyway.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use one bullet in my 338x8mm mag ,that being the 210gr partition.I drive them at 3100fps and they have taken elk,moose and grizzly for me.Penetration is great as my grizzly was shot in the throat and the bullet stopped at the rear hip.They are not especially accurate in my rifle as they group around 1" but since I now only use the rifle for bear, bullet performance is my priority for this rifle.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rws 2,
Take this for what it's worth. My Winny never saw a 210 nosler it liked. I literally exhausted myself trying to get them to group any better than 3 min. of angle. I'm not going to insult you by plunging into a dissertation on relative reloading principles and the like. I will stick to simple, un-scientific observations from my findings only. Stick with the 225 Nosler, load a few, and try them. They work! Another gem for deer and bear would be the 200 grain Ballistic Tip. You might want to give them a go. As for me and my Winny, we will be staying with the 250 gr. loads that we have grown to know and love!
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Thanks Everyone,
I think I'll try the 225s,I realize the 338 could be considered "too much gun" for whitetails.
I really got it for a moose hunt I'm still dreaming of going on.I'm somewhat frugal so I was looking for a one bullet does it all.I will shoot some whitetails with it just to learn the gun and take it with me bear and boar hunting.Heck I'll even shoot groundhogs too.My buddy from Indianapolis was just here at the farm shooting groundhogs with his 375 H&H,good practice!
I think the 225s sound like the best all round bullet for this caliber,if not I can always try different weights,thanks again. rws2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, although I've only taken one animal with the combo...what about the 225 Hornady Interlock?? I shoot a tweaked factory Remington in a lefty. Mine won't shoot the 200 Ballistic tips at all. I have shot in the .4's with the Hornadys. They're priced at $21 for 100 bullets and would penetrate ALMOST as good as a Partition. I raked a hog purposely quartering towards me throught the oncoming shoulder. Exitted just in front of the rear hip. Broke sholder and took out a hog standing behind mine. Just a thought, but there my pick even for elk when I go. There are plenty of Ultra Penetrating bullets, but hogs and deer aren't all that tough.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Fat Albert>
posted
Got a box of 180gr Bt's. I going to try them with 2 med.powders(Re15&4320). I'm starting low and working up to just below max. I'm looking for something in the 2800-2900 area,then try them on some yellow pages to see if the come apart. My Vanguard loves 200Bt's and 200Speers and 275Speers but nothing in-between.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For whitetails, hogs, and black bear there are no poor bullet choices in the .338. The lighter you go, the less recoil and the flatter the trajectory, so those advantages mitigate toward the lighter end of the spectrum. The lighter bullets will also give you somewhat quicker expansion on these lighter-bodied animals which will drop the game sooner. Shoot whatever shoots well in your gun.

For moose, if you want a little insurance, any of the Nosler partitions from 210 through 250 will work fine, as will a number of other bullets.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You cannot find a better bullet than the Nosler 210 at 338 Win velocity....

The 250 gr. Nosler is a lot tougher and is only good on elk up, but the 210 works like a charm on elk...

the woodleighs are all good bullets and I like the 300 gr. for big bad stuff and elk in the timber...

If I was limited to one bullet it would be the 210 Nosler and I have shot everything with it, at one time or another up to and including Eland, but I think Eland deserve a 250 Nosler. I like the 300 gr. Woodleigh solids for Buffalo.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I have been load testing the Woodleigh 250 grain soft and so far the accuracy is good to great. My question for you if you happen to catch this is: did you have any problems with full penetration on buff with the 300 grainer? I would guess not as that bullet should be unstoppable. I think that a buff hunt is going to happen in "04," and the Woodleigh so far is a top choice for me. Your opinion has much value to me...
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fat Albert: I have done the same thing as you discussed. I shoot the 180 Nosler BT using 66.0 grains of Re15, 210 match primers and Fed Nickel or Winchester brass cases. I find this load extremely accurate in both of my rifles. I test my loads at 200 meters and both of my rifles will shoot 3 shots under an inch at that range. I use this load for practice shooting and deer sized animals. My rifles will not shoot the 200 BT's very consistently. I always get 3 shots into a tight group and a flier. I also found my rifles will not shoot the 210 or 225 Nosler Partitions well either with any of the powders I tried. However, the 225 Swift or Hornady with 76.0 grains of Re22 will put 3 shots into 1 hole at 200 meters. Incidently, both bullets shoot to the same POA so I use the Hornady for target work and Swift for hunting. Cheaper that way. I am just trying that load with the 180 Nosler's and the first indications are that these bullets will shoot to the same POA also. I did test the 180 Noslers with soaking wet phonebooks and was very impressed with the results. They penetrate through about 14" of very soaking wet phonebooks at any range. My Re15 load has a muzzle velocity of 2990 fps. At 50 meters the core and jacket separated but the jacket still penetrated to the same distance as the 100 and 200 bullets. This is unusual but this bullet has a very heavy core. It still retained 52%. At 100 meters the result was a perfect mushroom, retained core, and 72% retained weight. At 200 meters the result was identical with a retained weight of 74%. As a result of these tests, I wouldn't have any problem using these on deer sized game. Next, I am going to test 77.0 grains of Re22 with the 180's. This load should give the same velocity as the Re15 load and I am hoping that this load will be interchangable with the 225 Swifts so I can shoot both without having to change the scope setting because they have the same POA. I hunt in different areas that have different animals to hunt so it is very advantageous to have loads that shoot to the same POA. Hope this helps. Steve

Posts: 48 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BearHunt'r,
The 300 gr. woodliegh will stop on the far skin most of the time and fully expanded, sometimes it will exit...the 300 solid is unstopable always...but a buff will go quite a ways when shot with a 338 solid, but he will bleed a lot and get very sick, very fast.

The 338 is not my choice but it is a viable alternative. The same can be said for the 9.3x62 and the 375 with the edge going to the 375. As you can see the bigger the caliber the better it gets on these big boys. I prefer the 40 calibers.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 338 Win Mag I use the 210 Nosler and the 250 Nosler. The 210 is a very quick load (76 gr of RL19 @ 2990 fps) and the 250 is pretty slow (2650 fps) but it gives me all the recoil I could want. If I had to choose, I would probably go with the 210, and save the heavier bullets for my bigger 33's. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Thanks for the reply. I have a 416 Taylor that is a beauty to shoot...400 Barnes originals and the Hornadys alike reach 2300 fairly easy (according to my chrony.) Thought it would be nice to pair the two rifles up for my battery. I would want the .338 to be a back up if anything happened to the Mauser.

best,
bhtr

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my .338 Win Mag I had high hopes for the Nosler 210 Partition. I have used Partitions on most big game I have taken regardless of caliber. Unfortunately my particular rifle will not shoot the 210 Partition with any powder combination I have tried and I have tried a lot. However, accuracy with the 200 Ballistic Tip is tremendous. Rifle also likes the 225 Hornady and Noslers and also the 250s. My plan now is 200 Ballistic Tips on anything smaller than Elk, 225s on Elk, and 250s for the big stuff.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well now I've owned two 338 wm and have shot 4 elk with the 210 nosler - from 40 yds to 400 - recoverd bullets from both the 40 and 400 yrd elk looked almost identical. the front end was mostly gone but the back end held together and were recovered under the hide under the opposite shoulder. One of the things I like about Noslers - the front end opens up quick and does unbelievable damage the back end insures penetration. With both 338 (one a custom the other a Ruger 77) the 210 shoot clover leaf three shot groups with 4831 and WLR primer. Ive shot deer with 225 gr Hornady's which were loaded with 4350. Chronographed the 210 measured 2950 fps and the 225 were 2850. I'm trying the new 180 gr NBT and it looks good with 4350. Any way you cut it a 210 gr bullet of any caliber at close to 3000 fps is deadly - and it shoots flatter than the heavier bullets - the only reason I hit that elk at 400 was because I thought he was at 300 - the bullet hit very low - just above the brisket - at impact he humped up - stood for 3-4 seconds and fell over dead rolling down the mountain. Even with the low impact the entire lung area was destroyed - I love them 210's. I reallly want to try those 180 NBT on deer.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman-

For being as serious a reloader as I am, I still have not spent the money on a chrony. Do you care to list the charge weight and type (H or IMR) of your 225/4350 load??

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jesse Jaymes

The loads I refernced were chronographed and I do have the data in a notebook in another state. My son is in the process of getting the info out of the notebook and I will pass in on when I have it - day or two. I did not want to list the charge until I had the correct numbers - I need it too to develop loads for the Ruger 77 MK 1 338 I just picked up - the one that was chronographed (custom FN Mauser) was stolen awhile back along with several other very choice firearms. I need to buy a chronograph too - one that is low cost and works - just a simple one - any ideas from board members I'd like to hear it.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rifleman 1

For a simple chronogragh that works , I like my Pro-Chrono . An easy to use menu , not sensitive to variable light conditions , and it just flat works . The cost
is just a little more than the Chronys ......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman-

Sorry to hear of your loss. I only have about 15 custom rifles at 30 years old, but I did bite the bullet and invest in a kick ass safe. I am still too low dollar for the chrony. Part of the reason is that I still believe all of the published data. It would blow my whole world to see that all of my guns suck and I would be spending more money on the latest Ultra whatever to get the speed. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse,
The load I shoot with the 225gr. Hornady is 70grs. of IMR4350/CCI#250 primer. This averages 2835 fps. in my 23in. barreled M70 Win. You might start a couple of grains under this load but it is not hot in my rifle.
What surprised me was the 225gr.load seems sharper in recoil then 250gr. bullet at just over 2700fps. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I consulted my personal load book and found my magic load is the same or similar to Pete's. I use 70.0 of IMR-4350 with either a 250 or 9 1/2M. I've gotten anywhere from .352-.832" from this load out of a tweaked Remington 24" tube. Is an honest 2700 fps hard to get with either the Hornady or Sierra's 250 grainers??

All of my 250 grain loads have been in the .5's to .7's. They were RL-19 @ 71.5, IMR-4831 @ 71.0 and IMR 4350 @ 70.2. Think any of these reached 2700??

[ 08-02-2002, 06:19: Message edited by: Jesse Jaymes ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
rws2
I have 2-338WM and both shoot the 250gr NPT the best.I have always liked going with bullets on the heavy side and prefer to pass through my game.Fortunatly both rifles like the same load.
68.5grs H4350, Rem. brass, Fed.215 at .015 off the lands. vel.averages about 2650fps from my chronograph. Thats just what works for me.
Paul K

Posts: 686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rws2- I would give the Ballistic Tips a try esp for the whitetails. It should really turn a groundhog inside out!!. I have only used my 338 for bigger critters such as Moose,Grizzly and some critters from the Dark Continant and then only the 250gr Partition.

If you and your buddy are using such big guns on chucks maybe I can come play with the 416 Taylor?

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearhunt'r,
Pairing the 338 with a 416 is tough to beat, I have done it many times...I have shot quite a number of Buffalo with my 338 and it has always worked for me...your best bet is to have some good solids handy..I like the GS Customs Flat nose solid much better than anything else....

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a real interesting article about the 338 in latest Nosler #5 reloading manual. The author of this caliber testimonial, using 210 gr NP, shot at an elk 200 yds or so away. The bullet dead centered a 3 1/2" tree - he didn't see - hit the elk in the hind quarter and continued through to exit out the chest - now that is penetration.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Have I missed something here? What's with all the premiums? If you want to use a 338wm on whitetails, just about anything you care to load will blast two holes in the critter. I've carried mine a few times, but so far not had any oportunities. I reserve the rifle for moose most of the time.
I did shoot a calf moose with a 210 Nozler solid base a few years back, thats bigger than most whitetails. Dropped at the shot. Meat damage was not severe. Heart/lung shot. Black bear, ran about 20 yards. Two holes, lung shot, nice meat wish I still had some.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Thanks again for the info. I appreciate the response. Have heard alot of good re: GS...I'll take a more thorough look into them.
best,
bhtr

one of us
posted Hide Post
John Cannuck,
To bad Nosler quit making the solid base bullets. I've used them in 257, 270, and 7mag. A great deer bullet. Wish I could find some in 338, I didn't own a 338 the years Nosler was making the solid base bullets. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try both and use whichever shoots the best out of your rifle. My 338 likes the FailSafe 230 gr, and it is an outstanding bullet. But any of the 338 bullets should more than adequate for deer and black bear.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have some really great responses here, for sure.

I have shot a varied bunch of game with the .338 Win Mag and agree with most of what has been offered already.

I have shot deer, elk, and wild hogs with the 250 Sierra boat tail and have been perfectly happy.

But if you like Nosler bullets I would happily recommend the 200 Ballistic Tip for deer and hogs and the 225 Partition for bigger game.

I have shot several hogs now with the 200 Ballistic Tip and it works just fine, I intend to try it on deer at the first chance I get.

I have shot a hog or two with the 225 Nosler Partiton and they worked great. A bull elk I shot last fall in New Mexico was plenty impressed.
My dad has shot hogs, deer, elk, etc, with this bullet in his 340 Weatherby with good success.

I shot a boar with the 225 Nosler last year at a range of about 3 feet as he tried to eat me after being wounded (long story), the recovered 225 Nosler weighed 65% of its original weight.

Good Luck, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by R Flowers:
[QB]
I shot a boar with the 225 Nosler last year at a range of about 3 feet as he tried to eat me after being wounded (long story), the recovered 225 Nosler weighed 65% of its original weight.

R Flowers,
At the least, man, give us the "Readers Digest condensed version!" [Big Grin]

best,
bhtr

one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers, are you happy with the performance of your Sierra 250's on elk? I've had excellent performance from Sierra bullets, but they're not fancy bonded core or partition designs and don't seem to be as well thought of when it comes to heavy game like big bull elk and larger. My Sierras have always done everything I've needed. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, my .338 simply won't shoot the excellent Nosler 210 Partition. However it shoots the 200gr Ballistic Tip and 225 Partition into such small groups it is embarassing. The 225 is Elk medicine and the 200 works on anything smaller. Using IMR 4064 the 200gr Ballistic Tip is shooting groups at 400-500 yards smaller than anything I have ever used and doing it consistently. At 100 it will usually put three into one big ragged hole.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote