Find
Notify
Tools

8x57
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Just for general info i shot some Sellier & Bellot 8x57 / 196 gr spce in one of my k98s today. Five shot average velocity was 2429 & I managed a 1.25" group with the military sights.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Just for general info i shot some Sellier & Bellot 8x57 / 196 gr spce in one of my k98s today. Five shot average velocity was 2429 & I managed a 1.25" group with the military sights.

Interesting. When I tested some of the same ammo in my Rem 700 Classic I got an average of 2,647 fps.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the bore on the 700 is a wee bit tighter than k98 i was shooting? The CE/43 (JP Sauer) i was shooting has a excellent bore. We were shooting through a Master Chrony.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I suspect a long throat on a military rifle may have had something to do with the velocity differences. Do you know if your k98 has a long throat?

I haven't worked all that much with my 700 Classic, but it does appear to have a relatively short throat. When I was checking C.O.L. length for handloading, I found that the Hornady 195 gr Spire Point, as an example, hits the lands fairly quickly. (Stoney Point guage, etc.) I don't have access to a k98 so I don't have anything to compare my 700 Classic to.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote