Notify
Tools

Work Guns I've Known
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
I’m actually in British Columbia, we’re Canada’s coastal Alaskan neighbour. I’m a hundred miles from the Alaska border so potato potato.

On the 10mm, small following but growing. The weight and slimness, ready without a safety like a revolver, are the high points. Never had to use it on a bear in anger, nor do I know anyone personally who has. But it penetrates like all getup at a hot 200grs, and will be the edge of appropriate in handgun terms. It’s essentially a .357 level energy proposition, and could be well compared to that for effectiveness.

Awesome post!

On your 10mm G40, what specific factory or handload are you carrying for bears?

You mentioned "hot 200grns," but how hot? 1270fps? And is it a factory load from BB, DT, or UW? Or a handload?

By the way, it seems that more of the younger Alaskans are packing a 10mm Glock for protection in the bear-boonies.

Check it out:

Chuke knows! ...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sQrYwt7K6LY

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the other hand why be in bear country without a handy rifle?

Because it is very hard to do a lot of things with a rifle in ones hand.

With that thought if it is not in ones hands it is not handy enough.

Posts: 19384 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys been in the bush, oh, I like lever guns... just nowhere near as much as doubles, and they still don’t make them in .375 H&H. Wink

My grandfather’s 94 out in the territory a few days ago for a plane ride.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You do take some nice photographs. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Angus,

How do you carry shells when hunting with your singles? I've tried multiple ways but have never come up with anything completely satisfactory. Buttstock holders throw the rifles balance off, pockets or belts are great for the tropics but suck when you are constantly adding and shedding layers in the rainy mountains.

Taj

Posts: 20 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taj,
Carry one round in each pocket, they won't rattle and shed as you may, you will always have access to a few rounds!! rotflmo

Never mind, just couldn't think of a logical answer to your question..

Have you not returned to Africa as a guide these days? I expected it to be your lifes dream.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a bear working gun, I think I would prefer a 30-06 Win. mod 95 carbine in a custom 9.3x62 loaded with 300 gr. Swifts or Woodlieghs 320 gr.

Im sure there are many other choces, but I like this one best today anyway, but even the same in 30-06 with 220 gr. Nosler partitions would suit me.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
The bad weather/working type gun I'm having done up is a LH MK II SS Ruger 77 in a slimmed down laminate stock with a 9.3x62 chamber cut into a no 3 Douglas barrel. Should be a good NA bad weather rig.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taj shoemaker:
Angus,

How do you carry shells when hunting with your singles? I've tried multiple ways but have never come up with anything completely satisfactory. Buttstock holders throw the rifles balance off, pockets or belts are great for the tropics but suck when you are constantly adding and shedding layers in the rainy mountains.

Taj

Actually just the old fashioned cartridge wallet, local native band member made it, it flips open to reveal two rows of four rounds of .375 H&H. I wear it on a belt outside my gear, same one the pistol goes on.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
For a bear working gun, I think I would prefer a 30-06 Win. mod 95 carbine in a custom 9.3x62 loaded with 300 gr. Swifts or Woodlieghs 320 gr.

Im sure there are many other choces, but I like this one best today anyway, but even the same in 30-06 with 220 gr. Nosler partitions would suit me.

quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
The bad weather/working type gun I'm having done up is a LH MK II SS Ruger 77 in a slimmed down laminate stock with a 9.3x62 chamber cut into a no 3 Douglas barrel. Should be a good NA bad weather rig.

Lots of 9.3x62 appreciation here, I like it, it’s disproportionately popular in the wilder parts of Canada and the North too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the .30-30 over .44 Mag and by a big margin. Love the .30-30 in a handy carbine, been shopping for one of the JM Marlin 16” stainless .30-30s, think there were 500 made of the particular model I have in mind, as a light boat and flying carbine. Found one in .35 rem but struggle to add that cartridge to the reload bench.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Taj,
Carry one round in each pocket, they won't rattle and shed as you may, you will always have access to a few rounds!! rotflmo

Never mind, just couldn't think of a logical answer to your question..

Have you not returned to Africa as a guide these days? I expected it to be your lifes dream.

I've certainly tried that way. Works for at least one shot. End up in trouble though next time I try to get though security at the airport.....

I very much enjoyed my time in Zambia, but found I prefer the Wilderness. There is no where on Earth I am aware of that has the variety and sheer numbers of game like the African continent. However, the sheer number of people is amazing too! I found myself drawn more to the wildlife conservation side of efforts there. Hunting plays a vital role in bringing wildlife $$ there, but those $$ need to be properly allocated and dispersed to do any good. I will return, but it is hard to match the freedoms and solitude of the Northern Wilderness.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Funny, I just built a 35 Whelen as an alternate to my 375. Trade some power per shot for 2 more shots before reloading. 9.3 would be good too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually just the old fashioned cartridge wallet, local native band member made it, it flips open to reveal two rows of four rounds of .375 H&H. I wear it on a belt outside my gear, same one the pistol goes on.

Thanks. Good thread. Interesting progression of firearms. I too tend to carry a handgun when flying or fishing, but when moose meat gets involved I like 7 quick shots readily available from my 475 Turnbull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classy and neat choice Taj, the big lever is the North American equivalent to the African PH’s .470.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was using single shots a lot I carried one or two rounds between my fingers of my left hand for quick reloads.

DOES NOT WORK WELL IN COLD WEATHER.

Extras on a belt holder.

Having them loose in a pocket is very very very slow.

A off hand wrist band holder for two or three works fairly well also.

Posts: 19384 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
* * * Love the .30-30 in a handy carbine, been shopping for one of the JM Marlin 16” stainless .30-30s, think there were 500 made of the particular model I have in mind, as a light boat and flying carbine. Found one in .35 rem but struggle to add that cartridge to the reload bench.

For those environs, a "short, handy carbine" that would still pack a hard punch would be the 18" Remington 600 in .350 Remmy Magnum - if you could be find one in decent condition up there.

That's one .35-cal cartridge I wouldn't mind adding to the reloading bench.

Otherwise, the only other .35-er might be the .35Whelen, but only if it was chambered in the semi-auto 16" Mini-G (Garand-based) carbine. Handy-dandy little gun, that one.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be fishing next week in the same general area where an archer was clawed up a little two weeks ago by a cougar. I plan to take a Savage 24C with slugs.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14379 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update, doing my competency shoot with the federal police examiner for handgun carry (Canada) today and get a kick out of how my gun looks. The marine environment I work and guide in eats guns. Glocks suffer too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you can send your Glock into the state's, but having Robar finish your gun in Np3Plus might be the answer.
Great pics Angus

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been interested in that / NP3, I’d like to do a double rifle fully in it too. Guns have a hard time here we’re always on the ocean and estuaries in fowl weather. I give the Glock the freshwater creek rinse often as I can, then liberal WD40, drying out often isn’t possible in tents. I think it’s best simply replaced every couple seasons as a consumable, the internals take the brunt of the salt / water damage, which is concerning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread

Fabulous photos tu2

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
.At near 84 Id have to write a book, but not so inclined..

I'd buy it!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the single shots, especially the Ruger 1-A or 1-S, but I,m uncomfortable with a loaded round in the chamber most of the time, like in my pickup or in a saddle scabbard.. in fact the only two actions that suit me on that count are the mod. 70 and that long swinging safety and to a lesser degree the hammer safety on a Remington mod. 30 (enfield) with bolt guns.

For a daily pack gun in bear country I would probably go for a mod. 70 Win or Ruger African model..in a 338, 375 or 9.3x62, but there are many good choices..A lever action Win. is always a good choice as you can work the lever in a hurry and get a quick shot off, My old favorite was the 45-90, but today Id opt for a Turnbull in his 45 cal. version..

All said, is just some observations and use of certain calibers and actions, but there are many just as good..pumps and autos are bothersome to me. Levers are still preferred for horse back, a good m-70 fwt, ain,t all that bad horse back or for walking around. I guess it just whatcha like. Fishing in bear country, make one nothing but bait, so I would prefer to fish for Bass in Texas!! My preference in pistols has always been the 41 or 44 mag for animals, 9 mm plus P Bordder Patrol issue or the .357 for folks that are apt to charge..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years I’ve wanted a 7lb stainless double rifle with a decocking system for a work gun. 18.5-20” barrels, chambered in something reasonable maybe a 9.3 class cartridge but in my case likely a .375 wildcat just for reloading components standardizing on my bench.

As mentioned above Butch offered to make me a stainless .375 Flanged at an extremely reasonable price, I almost pulled that trigger. In the end I feel I might be better off trying to build my own from scratch in the perfect configuration, I gunsmith here at home but have never attempted a scratch build. It’d be a slim round action in stainless, that has thumb cockabke internal hammers in a well / thumb hole where a tang safety would normally be found. A lot like an 1885’s recesssed little hammer x2 just a little more seamless and contoured.

I have a different sort of action in mind that hasn’t been tried before, whether that means it doesn’t work great or not suppose I’ll find out if I try. I admire what Bailey Bradshaw has down with his own action design, would like to follow his lead. Would be a bit of a life accomplishment for me.

posted Hide Post
Angus - Of possible interest might be a rifle from B&M Rifles? Available in .375 caliber - as you said you have a loading bench of .375 stuff. Model 70 action; short/handy/lightweight/pretty much weather resistant/6 1/2 lbs. Just a thought. Were I younger and still running the interior of Alaska, one of these would be very high for consideration.

https://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/375-B-M.html

Posts: 9 | Location: Pacific Northwest - Altitude; Speed; Maneuver; Fire - Bubi | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by outsidebear:
Angus - Of possible interest might be a rifle from B&M Rifles? Available in .375 caliber - as you said you have a loading bench of .375 stuff. Model 70 action; short/handy/lightweight/pretty much weather resistant/6 1/2 lbs. Just a thought. Were I younger and still running the interior of Alaska, one of these would be very high for consideration.

https://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/375-B-M.html

Sorry for taking so long to see this, agreed I love the concept and have given thought on a few occasions to building my own take on one of their rifles here in Canada. A little stainless short action .375 would be a pleasant field companion you can afford to work hard and abuse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Angus! Great pictures, and a seemingly unbiased overview of the pluses and minuses of “your” chosen firearms. A stainless double, would have to be the “near perfect” dangerous game/stopping rifle for any and all conditions. Though a lighter, shorter, stainless Model 70 in either .375 or .458....would certainly get “honorable mention”! I’m a revolver guy....so I’ll leave the Glock alone. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A well known poster on AR and an old client of mine and a dear friend sold me a Jefferys 450-400-3" with 20" barrels, it shot an inch to 2 inches every time at 75 yards..Ive never shot a gun with better balance and it was handy, I loved it and swore never to part with it but I did!! Wish I hadn't..If I ever get another Searcy built gun it will be a 20" double, unheard off, just not cricket, but I loved it, so did everyone else that shot it..At my age I just didn't need a double anymore..

Some think Im a gun whore and will sell anything I got, but that's just almost true, I do have a couple of rifles that have been around many years, metal like stainless steel and wood like drift wood, still shoot tiny groups, but I don't display them, they are all walnut and blue, just worn out. tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Angus Morrison thanks for the assessment you have made on your working rifles. I would like to ask you, why you consider the Merkel 140AE double to have “Excellent iron sights” and the Winchester model 70 has “Mediocre factory iron sights”. How are the Merkel sights better in comparison to the Winchester? And what would you consider a perfect sight? Would a ghost ring peep sight be good under the conditions you work in?

I am merely curios at what people with experience use and why.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
2 questions

1 what didn’t feel right about the Satterlee rifle?

2 I see you use a belt holster for the glock. Do you prefer that to a chest holster?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JORGE01:
Angus Morrison thanks for the assessment you have made on your working rifles. I would like to ask you, why you consider the Merkel 140AE double to have “Excellent iron sights” and the Winchester model 70 has “Mediocre factory iron sights”. How are the Merkel sights better in comparison to the Winchester? And what would you consider a perfect sight? Would a ghost ring peep sight be good under the conditions you work in?

I am merely curios at what people with experience use and why.

Good question you made me have to consider what I like / dislike about each in more detail. I like low, intuitive iron sights that are low to the bore. The Merkel, largely by nature of being a double, sits the sights far, far lower seeing as they’re saddled between two very small diameter barrels. The Winchester’s sights sit extremely high and proud in comparison on top of a barrel twice as thick, also necessary to clear the sightline above the receiver ring which is double the diameter of the Merkel’s barrel shanks / breech ends. However Winchester went even further in jutting them skyward than necessary. The sights are also far more substantial in construction on the Merkel, the Model 70s are quite flimsy, with the folding rear blade and sliding elevation plate. Instead of being adjustable Merkel puts the time into their sights to regulate them at the factory, the Express V is physically constructed to match the rifle’s zero.

Ghost rings have their place though as a personal preference, I’d rather use Express sights. I also find that the ghost ring setups often snag gear a bit more compared to an Express sight, which also offers multiple leaves for longer ranges, but this is a trifling complaint.

quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
2 questions

1 what didn’t feel right about the Satterlee rifle?

2 I see you use a belt holster for the glock. Do you prefer that to a chest holster?

Nothing about the rifle itself, all me. It was of extreme build quality, as it should be for the price. Ultimately it wasn’t a double despite being valued the same and I found myself unable to appreciate it properly. It felt like a lighter version of the Model 70 that cost much more, that I’d hesitate to use roughly like the Model 70. Also fully on me, not the rifle, I had misgivings about the chambering I chose and feel it’s too slow to be a reliable grizzly stopper. After seeing a lot of them die I’ve come to the conclusion speed kills better than slow and heavy. I don’t mean ridiculous speed, just standard .30-06 ranges, so I prefer the H&H which wouldn’t fit in the Ti Satterlee. Ultimately it would have been a fantastic mountain goat rifle but I’m guiding not shooting on those hunts, the new owner turned it into a stellar mountain rifle in 7x57.

The Glock oddly is a regulatory thing placement wise. The government here tells you how you can carry, and only a hip holster with retention is approved.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have one of those M-70 Stainless / Synthetic 375 H7H's. Damn good rifle.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply!

Seems silly that the government is telling you how you can carry your firearm. Not to drag this thread off topic, because it is very informative, but what the hell difference does it make for placement of a pistol? I do understand concelealed versus open carry, but placement?

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries! Happy to chat about it. Two reasons really one is practical, and one is convention.

The RCMP (our federal police force, and the ones responsible for licencing you to carry) don’t like the muzzle sweep that can occur drawing from a chest holster. I’d argue this is the least of concerns but that’s one of the reasons. Secondly it’s unconventional to carry in Canada anywhere except the hip, and the optics mean a lot here. Canada has tons of guns but they’re not in the public eye like stateside, it’s extremely rare to carry here and wigs many folks out. The hip is more accepted as a method of professional carry in the eyes of the public here.

Believe me a chest rig would be welcome wading estuaries, but there’s absolutely no negotiating it here.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I agree the optics are different. I live in Missouri and it has an open carry law. Whenever I see someone at the local grocery store with a chest holster I figure he’s probably a little off! But I’ve not found a better way to carry when you need to work and still be armed.

spinksranch.com

One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
Yes, a holstered pistol center-chest is about the most practical carry method in the outdoors. It leaves your hands free to do - or carry - other things, but the gun remains quickly accessible if needed.

Common sense to me ... I understand the "appearance"/"how-it-looks" thing if you're carrying in the more populated areas in Canada, but if you're guiding a fishing client in remote wilderness areas where there's literally no one around for miles but bears and moose, ... I mean, really?

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All it takes is one well intentioned photo by the one other person you’re with, and your licence to carry is revoked for life, if found carrying in an unapproved method. I understand you’re saying the rules are odd just taking the conversation one step further. Honestly too bush piloting aircraft I much prefer hip holsters. The right hip is clear of everything important and doesn’t get in the way of the harnesses / seat belts like a chest rig. A gun the size of a 6” barrelled auto or large revolver is miserably in the way on one’s chest in light aircraft, we’re also usually wearing a PFD, again the gun is in the way.

So best method for my work is hip anyhow, and it’s all that’s approved. Carry in Canada needs to make the least visual splash it can anyhow to continue on, our climate around guns is way different than stateside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you have time one day Angus id like to hear the feedback after one season of a 375 ruger in stainless.

Phil

Ps: still hoping they open back your grizzly bears season.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice little work guns for sure Phil! Client brought one, I was a fan, took one of our biggest bears.

Here’s a submission posted for bluefish I’ll let him do the details,