Find
Notify
Tools

Most Bang for the Buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted
I'm curious on which rifle and scope combination the forum would consider the most bang for the buck or best value.
My choice for the best rifle would be the Weatherby Vanguard from wally world for $390, edging out the Remington 700.
As for the scope, I have no idea.
Whats your opinions?

<Dice2>
posted
The Leupold scopes are hard to beat. I don't buy my guns at Wally World (Wall Mart) instead I try and support local gun stores, which in turn give a customer 3 times the service and will speacial order things for you. Winchester Classics, are hard to beat for the money.

<Dice2>
posted
The Leupold scopes are hard to beat. I don't buy my guns at Wally World (Wall Mart) instead I try and support local gun stores, which in turn give a customer 3 times the service and will special order things for you. Winchester Classics, are hard to beat for the money.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 can't be beat for bang/buck ratio. There may be cheaper guns at Wally world, but not those chambered in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 win mag.

Second vote for bang/buck is the Ruger M77. They often go on sale for $400-450, and when you factor in the integral scope base and rings included, it's a tough one to beat.

For scopes, I'm one of those confirmed leupold users, so the VX-1 would be my vote for entry level scopes.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hmmm,

Considering the trigger, barrel, fit and finish, I'd have to put my money on the Tikka, as far as sporters. If we are talking varminters, the Savages rule, particularly the versions with the SSS triggers.

As far as sporter scopes, entry level....... Burris Fullfield II at $179, or maybe Weaver V Classic at $149? Probably the Fullfield. If we are talking Varmint scopes, I'd say Weaver Grand Slam? Great glass, great tracking, finger adjustable, 1/8th clicks, adequate warranty. Or maybe the 4x12 Aetec, at $140. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
My vote would go for the Winchester rifle and Leupold scope. I'm partial to the control round feed. If I was limited on dollars I would buy the Leupold in 4X but it would be a Leupold. (in fact if I wasn't limited on dollars I would buy the 4X)
I'm assuming this is a big game rifle. For a varmint rifle I might try the Weaver Grans Slam in a variable.

Another choice for the rifle would be a CZ...but I would have to be there to pick it out. Some of the CZ stocks look like balsa wood.

My two cents worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the objective is to have a successful hunt for the minimum outlay, there are two alternatives not yet mentioned.

A 29" Swedish Mauser will give you 2800 fps with a 140 grain pill, and outstanding accuracy. With a 160 RN, it is about the minimum for elk, and with a 140, it is a dandy mule deer and pronghorn machine. Under $200, in very nice condition, if you shop carefully. Mine does 1 3/4" groups at 100 yards, with iron sights, without any special fiddling with the load.

An unissued Finnish M39 with a 27" barrel will perform in the neighborhood of a 22-24" 308 or 30-06, and is renown for its accuracy. In unissued condition, they run about $180 at Wholesale Guns and Ammo. Don't know yet what I'm going to get for accuracy with mine. 1.5" groups and 2700 fps with a 180 grain slug is probably attainable.

Either can be fitted with a Mojo aperture sight. It ain't a scope, but it ain't bad, either.

Either makes a very capable hunting rifle, at very low cost. It's not everybody's choice, but it is a lot of bang for the buck.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .338WM Ruger M77 MK-II, stainless, with was then a semi-CRF bolt, for $399.00, and a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x from a local dealer and friend for $250.00. That was eight years ago.

A year after I purchased the rifle I sent it to Ruger, and for $75.00 they changed it from semi-CRF to CRF, and sent it back to me with the original bolt, and a new CRF one. I still have both, but only use the CRF one. I also replaced the trigger with a Timney's that cost me about $49.00, and just this year I replaced the stock with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded with pillars. I paid $99.00 for the stock, and the rifle shoots great.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like cz rifles and leupold Vari X 11 or VX 1 scopes there good products at a reasonable price.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
Assuming that you are talking about a new rifle and scope, then I would say a savage 110 and a simmons aetec scope. Both are on the low end of the cost scale, but both have proven to be very trustworthy. I had a 110 for several years, and it never let me down. It was traded many years ago. As for the aetec, I have had one on a 375H&H for some time now, and it is still holding up very well.