New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 75 or Rem. BDL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to the local gun shop yesterday afternoon where I played with both a new Remington BDL and a Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic. My 270win and 35whelen are both Remingtons and I was leaning towards another Remington so all 3 would be the same but I must say I was impressed with the Sako. Yes, the Sako cost more than the Remington but if I bought the Remington I was planning to replace the stock so in the long run the cost is pretty much the same. I guess about the only two things I didn’t like about the Sako was the recoil pad, which could be replaced, I guess, and the box magazine. On the plus side the Sako holds one more round. I’ve never owner a Sako, don’t know anyone who does, never shot one, so now I’m asking , which is the better rifle the Sako 75 or Remington BDL?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
They're both pushfeeds so that's a wash.

The Remingtons have always worked well for me and the bolt handle has never come off eiother.

I just detest the BDL stock as the plastic tip and the white spacers and the shiny finish are not at all what a fine rifle should be. The stock they put on their classic was a fine work and I'd far rather see that. Their CDL is a better stock and maybe you should check that out.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I'm a Sako fan. Have a few model 75 SS-300WM, 243. Also have 2 Tikka T3 LS 270WSM. My hunting buddy also has a 300WM identical to mine-bought same time as me.

You will not be sorry with the Sako-my 300WM is 8 years old and been thru quite a bit, the 243 I just bought in May-lightly used. My rifles are all clips-never seen a Sako m75 without a clip. As to the recoil pad, I guess everyone has their opinion as I have no problem with the factory one. The action is very smooth, never had a feeding problem. I hunt in weather from +30 deg. C to almost minus 40 deg. C (-40F) here in Alberta in late Novembers.

If you prefer, look at a Sako model 75 in the GreyWolf model (LS) Beautiful gun- I Want one in maybe a 338WM.

If you buy one Sako, the rest of your rifles will be Sako's-believe me. The main reason I have the 2 Tikka T3 is that they had the 270WSM in the LS version out almost years before Sako, and also mostly Sako components. If you want to save a bit of $$$$ look at a Tikka T3 LS in 270WIN.

Good luck.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a dozen or two Remingtons. I now own 8 or so Sako 75's. Comparing a Remington 700 to a Sako 75 IMHO is like comparing a Chevy Cavalier to a BMW 7 series. Yea they both have 4 doors and get you there but the BMW and the Sako are nicer in just about every way except the price tag..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I had a bolt handle come off......a new gun.....glad it was not when in the field.

Remington have their strengths AND weaknesses, their quality control over the past few years leaves lots to be desired, which is why I have not bought any new ones in years.

Sako, had a bad batch of problem rifles, recalled and heard nothing since, said to be mainly due to unknown defective steel from supplier. Those bugs are supposed to have been corrected.

Workmanship is a far cry better than Rem. that I can tell. Never heard of ANY problems other than the above.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in .270 WSM, shoots factory ammo into 3/4" at 100 and just over 2 at 300. It's smoother, better finished, has a better trigger, and is lighter than any Remington of similar make up I've seen or shot. I like the short lift and the scaled action.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I was given a Sako 75 SS 7mm STW as a Christmas present 2 years ago. I must say, I was skeptical at first, but it has been an excellent gun. I did replace the recoil pad with a Limbsaver grind to fit.

The only thing negative I have to say about owning a Sako rifle is that it is a real hassle finding scope rings that are low enough.

Gun shoots sub 1" groups all day. The adjustable trigger is espicially nice.

Go with the Sako. You won't be disappointed.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The fact that many stainless Sako rifles rescently Blew up on the owners sort of bothers me about Sakos quality control.

There is many many more 700s on the market and yet you never hear of one blowing up. The bolt handle thing is the most ridiculous arguement I've ever heard, I've seen many Remington 700 Bolt handles get beat on and NONE have ever come loose.

Another thing I don't like about Sako rifles is the weight, every Sako I've ever handled was on the heavy side.

May also want to consider the ease and availability of aftermarket products available for the 700.

I don't think you'd go wrong w/ either rifle but, like I said, the blow ups would be on my mind when considering the Stainless Sako. Just hard to forget the stories and pictures I guess.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW here's my 2cents
I've had Remington and Sako rifles though have neither now. Which would I choose if I were wanting to buy one? That's easy a Tikka T3 Light in s/s.
troll

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What DJ said!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I can ASSURE you this rifle-REM 700 had no more than a couple hundred rounds and it's bolt handle was NEVER beat on, PRIOR to the bolt handle falling off. It FELL off, after a shot fired, a screwdriver blade opened the bolt-not high pressure load, just a SORRY ASS, YES REMINGTON SORRY ASS job of brazing.

To top it off, they repaired it, and jeweled the bolt, as it was not that way originally, NOR did I ask them to do it, guess what, the inside of the bolt was FULL of grinding compound. They NEVER cleaned it!!!!!!!!!@#$%^&*\

That would have ruined my Hart barrel on my 338/06 had I not cleaned it out first.

Yep, rifle sold. May never happen again, but when YOU have a bolt handle come off, write me and tell me you are not bothered or worried again! Yes, I own a few Rem. still, older mfg, but doubt seriously I will ever buy another-esp. newer or current mfg.

I will just as soon own another brand, and Sako is at the top of the heap if their prices hold. Tikka IS likely one of the best values, having sako mfg barrels. Accuracy of either has never been argued.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have tendacy to agree with the fact that Big Green has had numerous Quality Control problems of late.
A Remington from 4 or 5 years ago is in a league way beyond what Remington is producing right now or recently.
If you can find a reputable Gunsmith who doesnt have a big retail store and is qualified to do Remington warrenty work, buy him a beer and let him tell you some stories. You wont beleive the issues Big Green is having right now.
My advice is buy anything but Green, until they sort out their QC woes, they are not the go to rifle manufacturer they used to be.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 75 Varmint Lam. in .223 has pretty bad feeding issues. With more than three rounds in the box mag it just wouldn't feed. I got a extra clip....no better. Gave up and just used it with 2 rounds in the clip. Was looking at ebay a few months ago and there was a clip going for half of what I paid for mine. You guessed it. I got it and it works like a charm. Never had any round fail to feed out of the Ebay mag, even my reduced loads with round hornet bullets feed great. One thing about the 75 they every one loves but me....the trigger. Its just adjustable for weight only. Not creep or overtravel. Mine developed some creep but some Beeman's pena dry and some polishing papers fixed it. Are you sure you want a new rifle? I would look for a older used pre 75 Sako. You can get aftermarket triggers that are truely adjustable for them. There will never be a after market trigger for the 75 IMHO cause of the very complicated design of the trigger/safty unit. The Sako 75 is a good rifle but not without problems in my experiance. I don't own a 700. I hear their bolt handles fall off all the time! sofa FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own both Remmy's and Sakos. Also have Browning FN Safari 375.

Buy an Sako and never look back. I used to buy Remmys and have them "tuned". The Sakos don't need tuning, they are excellent.

They are also mechanical ejectors, one of the best on the market.

The Remmys are very good, not complaining, but they are not in the same class as Sako.

As for controlled feed vs push feed, it will start a war of ideas. I have both, the Sako is great and I use it the most. VERY RELIABLE, trust it completely.

If you are not doing any dangerous game (DG) with it, then Remmy is great, although my hunting buddy uses his Remmy all the time for DG in Africa.

I also know a Game Warden in Zim that loves Browning FN and Sakos and then after those he likes CZ.

Know another PH that uses Sako exclusively.

Know several very seasoned DG hunters in Alaska hunt with Sako or Dakota (way too much money compared to Sako, etc...).

Also, hunt with a DG hunter and he has CZ 550, but it is VERY heavy.

So I would pick
1. Sako
2. CZ
3. Browning, Remmy, etc....

Like I said if you are choosing between Remmy and Sako, get Sako.

Finally just want to clarify, Remmy's are very good. Just there is a BIG difference between the quality of Sako and Remmy's. And there is a big difference between Remmy's spring ejectors and Sakos mechanical ejector.

All hunters I mentioned above use either 338 or 375 cal. That is all I use too no matter of it is deer, boar or bigger.

Good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few Remingtons and one Sako in 375 H&H
The Sako is a nice rifle but so are the Remingtons. If you don't have any I'd say buy it in the Caliber you want. The SAKO.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote