Find
Notify
Tools

358 Ultra
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted
Has anyone necked up the 338 Ultra to 358?

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the 338 RUM is the short case (compared to it's brethren, the 7mm, 300, and 375). Better to neck down the 375 RUM for all the case capacity. Good cartridge idea though. Being a 35 fan, I'll have to put one together, sooner or later (so many projects, so little time and money) - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that because the 358 Norma is max for that caliber, the 338 Ultra case would be excess powder anyway, but allow you to seat to the base of the neck with long bullets.

What about necking up to 9.3 bullets?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The 358 Norma is certainly not max for the bore. A 358 ultra could either match the 358 STA in a std length action 250 gr @ 3000 fps, or if you used the full length case, could push 280 gr bullets near 3000 fps, and the 310 Woodleighs at least 2700, though I don't know how the woodleighs would perform at that level. Such a round would rival the 378 Weatherby, and would also generate helacious levels of recoil.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, you're making me want one more. "Hellacious Recoil". Yeah baby! Like Jimmy Carter, "I too have felt lust in mah heart" (said in your best peanut farmer drawl). - Dan

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Sorry I only put one l in there I'd considered a std length 404 necked down, or 330 dakota necked up, depending on how you look at it, but figure for what I'd do with a 35 bore, the 350 Rigby, or 358 Norma is a big enough case. I was running some 375 H&H brass through the 350 Rigby fl die this morning, I'm looking forward to getting my whelen re-chambered, should be a neat round!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul , is the .350 Rigby shorter than the H&H cases or do you have to open up your Mauser ?

Just curious . . I'm not at all familiar with the .350 Rigby.

Griffen and Howe had what looked to be a good old wildcat : .350 G&H , just a simple neck down job on the .375 case , same shoulder angle and body taper ..........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Yes and Yes The 350 Rigby actually predates the 375 H&H by 4 years, being introduced in 1908. If you take a 375 H&H case, shorten it to 2.76", move the shoulder back a little bit, and sharpen it to 45 deg, and remove the belt, and trim the rim to suite, you have a 350 Rigby. Case capacity is just slightly greater then the 358 Norma. The COL is such that one can open up the forward part of a 98 action, and there is still what I consider sufficient metal behind the bottom lug, and a bit of a feed ramp.

The better way to build one would be to use a 375 length action, but then the bolt is opened up too much, and the magazene is a bit too wide.

I'll see how it does with the 8X57 magazene lengthened. The gentle taper on the case should provide much better feeding then the 35 whelen ai had, it'll also clean up some slop in the chamber, and get me 250 gr @ 2700 fps with reasonable pressure.

<dcan>
posted
I am going to take a CZ 416 and rebarrel to 35/416 Rigby.
Will let you know results later this year.
Oh I have a 358 NM and have used one for about 33 years now am not sure why I need a CZ other than a toy.

[This message has been edited by dcan (edited 03-20-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading Taylor on the 350 Rigby, he raves about it. Paul, I already have a 357 Herrett, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 350 Rem Mag and a 358 Norma. I have an Enfield action being welded up now (I'm really a lousy welder)for a 35 "Rock Express", which is the 378 Wby case necked down to 35. But a full length 404 case necked to 35 just seems like a good idea. Perhaps my next rifle can be a 350 Rigby. - Take care - Dan

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dan,

And I thought I was a 35 fan I've had a 10" 357 herret, was pushing 200 gr cast 1900 fps, my goal was 2000, but I never got it at what I considered a contender safe pressure. I have a 10" 357 mag that will be rechambered as a 357 maximum. I'm currently pushing the 200's 1700 fps, seated long, but accuracy is poor, man t/c put a long throat in it, I've been unable to hit the lands, even with only the gas check seated! Other then that, just the 35 whelen ackley I'll be re-chambering. I'd like a 358 win, but I don't have a donor short action, and a 35 WSM is much more tempting. I'm not really into the long range thing, so the 358 STA and even bigger versions don't appeal to me.

The 350 Rigby is a neat round, has that Victorian slender body taper, for smooth feeding, a decent shoulder to headspace, and no belt. Only real challenge is brass, but I figure an evening or two of removing belts, and trimming rims on 100 375 H&H cases ought to last me for the life of the gun. I suppose having something that hardly anyone has heard of is a bit appealing too. I can also blame this project on that bloody convict Mike 375

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. There is something about the 35 caliber I like. I have poked 250 grain bullets out of my 358 Hawk at 2700 fps and enjoyed the experience but want to step up to 3000 fps vel.

<RussT>
posted
In reponse to your question, Fred Zeglin at Z-hat has necked up the 300 Ultra to 358 and he has the dies available.

I use a 358 STA and like it. MAST does 358 brass so there's no fire forming and RCBS does the dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before Remington brought out the 300 ultra mag there was the Imperial line of magnums. There was a 35 calibre version called the 360 imperial mag. It was based on an improved 404 case. Dead ringer for the 300 RUM case except it had the full sized 404 rim not rebated like the Rums.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Snowman. How are things in frigid Manitoba? (I was just there on the weekend) Yes, the company out in B.C. building those Imperial mags was N.A.S.S. I believe. They also had 7mm, 300, 311, 338, and 375 bore sizes. I don't think that particular company is still in business, but I seem to recall that the original gunsmith who did these is still doing them in B.C. somewhere. Take care - Dan