Find
Notify
Tools

Scope suggestions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted
Fellas, I'm looking for scope recommendations for my recently acquired .338 RUM. If possible, I would rather not break the bank with this purchase.

Is there a decent scope out there that will stand up LONG-TERM to the recoil and offer me decent quality at $200 or less? If that's not possible make other suggestions please (I can spend more, just don't want to)! Big Grin Thanks in advance.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusino:
Fellas, I'm looking for scope recommendations for my recently acquired .338 RUM. If possible, I would rather not break the bank with this purchase.

Is there a decent scope out there that will stand up LONG-TERM to the recoil and offer me decent quality at $200 or less? If that's not possible make other suggestions please (I can spend more, just don't want to)! Big Grin Thanks in advance.

I've always had good luck with Burris products, never saw a reason to change.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got a Bushnell Elite 3200 on my 338 Win that has held up so far for two hunting seasons, also have a Nikon Buckmaster and a Burris Fullfield II on other rifles. I think if you check around you can still find any of these for around $200 or so, the Burris has a heck of a deal with a 3-9 Fullfield II and a 20x spotting scope for about $200 right now, check http://www.swfa.com for current prices.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Burris Fullfield II and Luepold Vari X II should fit your budget, and both have a lifetime warranty. You may have to shop for a sale, but I've seen both for 200-$240.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands-down, look at the Nikon Buckmasters. I just received a new Buckmasters 3-9x40 that I ordered for my wife. It has 92% light transmission, lifetime warranty, finger adjustable knobs that are resettable, and all in a nicely executed package for around $170 from Ultimate Outdoors. They aren't as fast as Midway, but they're cheap... You could even splurge for the 4-12 ($273) or 4.5-14 ($215), both with side parallax focus, if you plan on taking long shots.

I have an older model 4.5-14 on my 7mag that has never let me down, despite a bit of abuse...

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are your application needs? Where do you hunt, is low-light use a particular need, what power wanted, any reticle preferences, etc.?

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nikon Buckmasters.

Great scopes!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Weaver products alot.
They have great quality control as a result of having all componets manufactured and assembled under one roof.

Simmons 44MAG scopes and their Aetecs are also a great scope for the money. They pick up a heck of alot of light.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume that you're concerned about recoil damage from your .338 RUM, as well you should be.

All variables tend to be a bit more subject to recoil damage than fixed powers, simply because of their more complex construction. However, among the best variable mechanisms is the 40-year old Leupold Vari-X design, which is still available in the VX-I and VX-II series. The 3-9 VX-I will cost you $199 most places and is optically identical to the more expensive VX-II, the biggest difference being friction vs. click reticle adjustments.

If you really want to assure no trouble with recoil, then opt for a Leupold 4 or 6 power fixed scope. New ones may cost you more than your $200 limit, but pristine used ones guaranteed for life are available for somewhat less than $200.

A Weaver K-4 steel tube will hold up, but its optics won't be quite as sharp as the Leupold.

Any number of other scopes, some mentioned by other posters, will give you a "bright" picture -- for a little while. I saw the objective bell of a Simmons literally fall off of a .270 in a bear camp in Alberta 125 miles from the nearest gun shop. Fortunately, the hunter wanted to use his bow, anyway.

Other than "holding up" on your .338 RUM, you have the issue of eye relief. This is the most misrepresented specification on scopes, and you CANNOT depend on what the literature says to be the real eye relief. For a .338 RUM, don't even think about getting a variable other than Leupold unless you enjoy getting whacked in the eyebrow by the scope every time you shoot. Leupold sacrifices some field of view in order to increase eye relief (an inelastic and unavoidable relationship). For an optical instrument used as a rifle sight, this is a damn good trade.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Leupold VX-III (2.5-10x) with a Boone&Crocket reticle. You won't regret it.

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I think your best bet within your budjet might be a used Leupold. I don't know what you plan to use the rifle for but a 4x fixed scope should be useful for many things, up to the recoil an within your budjet.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with both Nikon and Leupold

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes. They are on 300WSM, 30-06, 7mm-08 and 9.3 X 62. Al work great and very clear. Got them all "New in Box" on Ebay for less than 140 bucks each.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupolds can't be beat for cost, quality and warranty

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is a $200.00 rifle, then by all means spend $200.00. It is no better than the scope. bewildered Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VX-1 3x9 cost is $199
I have this on my ruger .270

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Holzauge mentioned the fixed power 4x Leupold. If that isn't enough look at the fixed power 6x from Leupold. I have one and find it excellent.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A slight detour from the main topic but I avoid a scope with adjustable objective for serious hunting. One less mechanism to fiddle with or to fail at the worst time. Kinda dovetails into the fixed power argument and the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Ebay was indeed the way to go. I got a Leupold VX-I 3X-9X 40mm tube for $140 brand new. Not bad. I can't wait to get this baby put on and go shooting! Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin