New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley or conetrol mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up new 300WSM M-70 from Bass Pro in Orlando today. Camo stock, stainless action & barrel, supposedly a bass pro exclusive style from Winchester. Have a Pentax Lightseeker II 3X12X50 & need mounts. Local smith says talleys or conetrols. Somebody help me out here with mount exp.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
I like both mounts but for a good looking rifle like that I would go with Talleys just for the look.

Doc in Texas

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I have become a Talley fan.Since he started making mounts for Sako's,I have been using his mounts.They are of very high quality.I don't have to lap his mounts.Try em,you like them.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a set of conetrol's several years ago and they work. But... it takes an octopus to put those things on a rifle. No kidding, it takes a lot of patience. Those were the most trying things to install I've ever seen. Given that though, they were very good. I had the 30mm rings around a Swarovski 2,2-9 Habicht sitting on a custom 8mm Rem Mag. They were as solid as if I had welded that scope on. But, they are aggravating to install. One you might look into is the SK skulptured rings. They are projectionless also and very nicely done. While I only have one set of these on a 7mm Mauser, I still have them and don't have the conetrol's anymore.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

There can be only one [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

TALLEY, nough said

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would'nt you consider Leopold rings and bases, they are simple and stable. Also the windage screw allows you to keep the crosshairs in the middle of the tube increasing your optical clarity.
I have had the Controls and they are an incredible pain in the rear. I like the Talleys but once they are on I consider them a permanent fixture to that rifle. They are too much trouble if you like to swap optics around.
Everyone has an opinion.
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my scoped rifles are equiped with Talleys...

Posts: 41837 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Warne rings on all my rifles for many years. I few years ago I bought one of Leupold's rmake of the Alaska scope. It has a 7/8" tube and that meant custom mounts. Dave Talley made them and they were good. Two weeks ago, spur of the momment and on impulse, I purchased a Model 70 300 WSM. I decided on Talley mounts holding a Leupold 6X Multicoat. I got the rights a few days ago and I am impressed. They put me to mind of a tank. I plan to mount the scope tomorrow morning after the weekend. Good finish and all.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other feature of the Talley seldom mentioned is that it has as neutral of a blued finish as you will find. This means that you can install it with either a matte scope or one with a higher polished finish and the rings will not look out of place. Just something else for you to know.

My main interest is for a solid mount and Talley works well and like someone else mentioned you will not need to lap the rings.

Good luck.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I have Talley's on all my model 70s (all 3 of them), and conetrols on my Dakota. Both of them are great mounts. Like chosing between a Mercedes and a BMW. Either way, you can't go wrong. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote