THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    400 yd trajectory 160 vs 175 7mm bullets

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 yd trajectory 160 vs 175 7mm bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Assuming same accuracy, what is the trajectory difference between 160 and 175 gr bullets of same design?

Is it a significant difference in the field for shots up to 400 yds.?

I'm planning on setting up a 7mm mag for Mule deer and backup to my Whelen on Elk.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Charts, somebody's thoughts, and my guess will never equal, you going out and shooting the gun to find out.

To many variables involved at that range, so you just have to shoot both bullets and find out for yourself. When you get the data, write it down and take it hunting with you, if you believe you will really be shooting at that range. 400 yards, thats a long ways. But, with practice can be done fairly easily.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the Sierra Infinity Program, assuming a velocity of 3000 for the 160 and 2900 for the 175 and a 200 yd. zero, there is only one inch difference at 400. Not enough over the entire range to make a significant difference. They are both right at 20 in fo drop. Jeff.

Posts: 45 | Location: Helena, Mt | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres a website I stumbled onto one day. It has generic coefficients but most manufacturers have them slightly inflated anyhow..this website is pretty easy to use.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What Jeff said is true. I settled on 160gr bullets in my 7mag for distance work. If I were hunting in close I might switch to the 175grfor the added penetration & to slow impact vel. down just a bit, but if I know I'm hunting in close, I use my .338-06. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugger all difference until you get out past the 500-600 yard mark I would think then the heavy bullet would start to overtake the lighter one.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote