Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 1903 any good?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Riflemen: I have a government 30/06 Remington 1903 bolt action rifle that I have had siting around for 30 years. The action on this rifle seems to be in good condition and the barrel internally seems fine. However, the exterior of the barrel is quite pitted. I'm sure it is strong it just does not look very neat. The rifle has a blade front sight and a williams adjustable peep sight. I have not shot this rifle very much but when I have it seemed to shoot ok. It has always been a camp rifle but rarely used.
My question is whether this rifle would normaly be strong enough to build it into a 30/06Ackley Improved rifle. I would want to get rid of the sights and place a scope on it. Its serial number is in the 3 millions and it has visable machine making marks on its action in some places. Still, the action is smooth and I would like to make a good hunting rifle with it. Someone has in the past put some type of sporting stock on it that has a cheek piece on it.
My main concern is the strenghth of this rifle. Are they normaly strong enough to stand up to modern ammunition or 30/06 AI handloads? Thank you and safe shooting.

Posts: 24 | Location: Medford, Or. | Registered: 10 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
It certainly would be strong enough!! I rechambered mine to .308 Norma Magnum, turned the GI barrel down to sporter weight, and had it restocked in French walnut by Paul Jaeger Inc., of Jenkintown PA. Put a 6X scope on it, and used it EXTENSIVELY for bear hunting in Alaska! It would fire a 180-grain bullet at 3150 FPS, so obviously it was strong enough!! It was the smoothest feeding bolt-action I ever owned, except for two Mannlicher-Schoenauers that had diamond-dust lapped bolts!! I think a .30/'06AI on a Remington 1903 would be great!!