New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just picked up my .270WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now it is time to start loading some test rounds. I have 140 grain Nosler BT's and 150 grain Nosler Partitions.

IMR 4350, and H4831SC will be the first powders I try.

Rifle is a Remington 700 SPS

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I run 62 grns of H4831SC with a 140 NAB at just a drop over 3K it's not the fastest but it gave me a tiny group so I ran with it.

Have fun tu2

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I run 62 grns of H4831SC with a 140 NAB at just a drop over 3K it's not the fastest but it gave me a tiny group so I ran with it.

Have fun tu2

Small groups are what I am looking for. I will give up some speed for accuracy in any rifle.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've ran R25, R22, H4350, IMR4350, RS D85, and R17 I would definitely suggest R17 and the 4350s for the 130-140 class bullets. 22 and R17 both work well with the 150s. R17 got me to 3100 with 150s. The 4350s have been hard to beat with midweights in all of the SMs I've loaded for. 62grns of I4350 under 130s gives me 3260 with the 130TTSXs from the 23" pipe with great accuracy to boot.

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I use Retumnbo in mine with 140gr Accubonds. AVG 3260ft/s

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Taking notes. Just bought a Winchester M70 Xtreme Sporter in this caliber.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16392 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the .270 WSM since it came out. I have four because all my hunting grandsons want to shoot only them at Deer. My experience with these rifles has been a blast and continues. All my rifles are Model 70 Winchesters, two from New Haven and two from South Carolina. They are all very accurate with the speeds that vary from 50 to 150 fps per load. I am convinced that is no better Deer chambering in production today and I have taken one Elk and plan to hunt Elk with it this year. ----- I shoot North Fork 130 and 150 grains. Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds 130 and 140 grains and 150 grain Partitions. All my Nosler bullets are Cosmetic Blems. Other bullets inslude the Barnes TSX 140 grains,and uncoated failsafe 140 grains ( I bought 500 of these on sale for a song from Midway USA). My primer is the Fed 210M and have shot RL-22 and RL-25, Magpro, RL-17. My rifles all like the 140 grain bullets and respond with pin point accuracy. One likes especially the North Fork 130 grainer and will shoot it 3455 fps with super accuracy. Two of the rifles really like the Nosler Partition 150 grainer and responds with speeds and accuracy that would please anyone. I would try other powders but am perfectly satisfied with what I am using. In my opinion this is a great round that will be around a long time. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of all the WSM's I consider the .270 to be the winner.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Have fun tu2

I can get that with my 270 Win without any problem.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes 150 gr. Nolser Part. with some RL-19 behind it at around 3025 fps. Pretty accurate too.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the Nosler 160-grain Partition at close to 3,000 would be the nuts for elk.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16392 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donald, I'm working up loads for my sons.
I'm having luck with mid range loads of H4831sc and the 140 gr AB's, but I'm far from done.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you starting on the .270 WSM, my loads follow after many hundreds of rounds fired. 130 grain bullets get 68 gr RL-22. North Fork most accurate and by far the fastest, followed by Nosler Solidbase, Partitions and Accubonds. Speeds from 3455 fps down to 3325 fps depending on bullet and rifle. ----- 140 grain bullets get 68 gr RL-25. Most accurate Nosler Ballistic Tip followed by Sierra Gameking, Barnes XLS, Uncoated Failsafe, Nosler Accubond. Speeds from 3329 down to 3100 depending on bullet and rifle. ------ 150 grain bullets get RL-19, RL-22, H-1000, Magpro. The bullets are North Fork (fastest) and Nosler Partitions. Speeds from 3225 fps down to 3102 fps. ----- Each of my rifles is equipped with a Ziess Conquest scope of 3.5 X 10, two with 4.5 X 14, and one with a 6.5 X 20 Mil-Dot. They will all shoot one hole groups when I do my part from the trigger end. It seems that the faster the load the more consistent it is with accuracy. Now you know all I know about the .270 WSM's that I shoot, hope it helps. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No.1 chambered with the 270WSM. It is definitely my go to rifle. It shoots many bullets well. About 4years ago I settled on one load for everything. 160 Nosler Partition, 61gr IMR 7828, Federal 210 primer.
Shoots under an inch, and will really ruin the day any elk.

For grins and giggles load some 110 TSX. They're amazing on deer!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Phurley: Thanks for sharing your experience.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 phurley,
I just started doing case prep for my new to me Kimber 270WSM last night..
I plan on using Hornady 150gr. IL to start and have lots of Rl-22 on hand..
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried quite a few different powders, Rldr-17, Rldr-22, Rldr-25, IMR-7828, Retumbo, Magpro, & probably some others I don't recall. I only use 150 gr. bullets in my .27 cal. rifles and for my .270 WSM, it's 68.0 grs. of Retumbo and a 150 Northfork. As I recall, max. charge for Retumbo & a 150 is 70.0 +- a few tenths. The 68 gr. charge gives me 3220 or so and in my Extreme Weather, it's easily a MOA combination or less.
I do recall that some powders gave rather anemic velocities, Rldr-17, I think, was one. Would have to check my records. I do recall that IMR-7828 produced velocities close to what I get with Retumbo tho. Good luck & have fun.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just loaded up some samples to test using H4831sc and 140 grain Nosler BT's snd 150 grain Partitions. I also had to do a bit of filing on the mag box ans it stuck up past the feed ramp and really interfered with feeding. It still don't feed like a 30-06 but it is much better and acceptable.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ----- A word of advice on resizing the .270 WSM cases. When I first started I was having some trouble with cases rechambering after resizing until I screwed the resizing die down as far as it would go, then give it a little more twist. I then read about the RCBS X die that supposedly does not streatch the brass. I got this die and last winter resized 500 pieces with no problems. The instructions says to shoot the brass until it needs trimming, then resize with the X die and then trim to the "trim too" length recomended by the manuals and you are good for many shootings. It worked for me like a charm. Good shooting.

phurley