Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 LTR .308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody shooting an Rem LTR in .308?
Would like to know what you think of it.
Out of the box accuracy info, bullet weights and chrony'd velocities would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 Milspec in .308. Not exactly like the LTR, but very similar.

Differences are the Milpec used the cut rifle barrels from the M-24's. I think this was a overrun deal but I have been unable to confirm any details, but not a lot of the milspec's were made, and finding a new one is probably going to be difficult or cost more than it should.

THe other difference is the stocks. Mine is a commercial stock so its thinner in the grip area, which I like, than the LTR. If you have big hands you might like the LTR better. I have pretty meatty hands and found the LTR just a little too thick in the pistolgrip.

The other difference is I don't think the LTR has a J-lock, which in my book is a lawyer designed part that is as useless a tits on a boar. I am going to have to pay to remove the damn thing on my rifle and the parts aren't cheap. I have had no issue with it though.

Brass tacks this is probably the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. The only other factory rifle I ever shot that was in this class was a Anschutes 22 match rifle, it was probably a little more accurate, but it was a 22.

My rifle because of the cut rifling has a 11.5 twist, and the LTR is a 12. So there is going to be some difference, what I don't know.

I was suprised when I sent this rifle to my smith to have the lugs lapped, he called me and after checking the lugs told me don't bother as you have full contact.

How does it shoot? I was being cheap on the break in and used Australian Mil surplus ammo. I pretty sure 148 gr, FMJ. It was cheap and I figured why blow high dollar ammo on a barrel break in. To my suprise, I didn't have 30-40 rounds through this rifle and I had the surplus ammo shooting 1 MOA. Then I started using Federal, Black Hills and Hornady match ammo.
Pretty consistant .5 MOA between these ammo's. I need some more range time but the Federal and Black hills shoot pretty close to the same POI. I have a target that I shoot 2 ea 5 round groups into .69, that was with 5 Federal, and 5 Black hills rounds. If I had shot these as seperate groups I would have had two .35 groups overlapping slightly. It was a slightly different POI between the ammo makes that opened up the agreegate.

One my first range session at my gunsmiths range, his comment about the rifle was " I am impressed"

Ok Bitches!!! The trigger on this rifle is a miserable SOB, it has creap, and a wierd spot where it gets heavier. I want to try another range session or two but if it doesn't smooth out I am replacing it. I spend a lot of time thinking and worring about the trigger when its on the bench and I am not getting my bestgroups with it. It amazes me that Remington could get all the rest of this rifle so right and fallen on their sword so bad on this trigger. Good news is there are lots of aftermarket parts and the only reason its not a goner now is I just don't have the time.

I have been more than pleased with mine. I am hopeful I can get the groups down by a least a .10 inch by trigger change and working up some custom reloads with match grade bullets. If I got a zero improvement I would still be happy as factory rifles don't shhot this good. Maybe I got lucky but even a blind hog will find an acorn sometimes.

Edit: One last thought " I would never hunt with this rifle, unless I was parked in a stand somewhere" It is big, heavy and ackward, and would be a rotten SOB to carry in the field. It a bench gun, or a casual stroll to a stand from your truck gun, in rough country it would be a two man crew weapon.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schromf,
Thanks for the info. I was at my local shop the other day and saw an LTR in the rack. Shouldered it and really liked the fit. Heard good things about the accuracy, some negative on the trigger.
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh one last thing about this rifle cause its soo heavy the .308 is a pussycat. I can shoot this all day long. I am a methodical shooter, and range sessions with me are just as much about cleaning rods and patches as pulling the trigger. But even with me poking around I still can shoot 80-100 rounds through this rifle in a day. That Milsurp ammo is great for that, I was tickled pink when this rifle shot that ammo this well. I expected results from expensive match ammo, but at $30.00 for 140 rounds shooting this well.....I was GRINNING Smiler Frankly I can't load up ammo that cheap, and I would rather be shooting than loading anyday.

Anyway these are a blast to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wa snooping on gunbroker. Look at this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33290717

This my model exactly. Price is good also don't know if the LTR is cheaper but room for thought.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle on the link. Good price as well. I'm still leaning toward the LTR with the 20 in barrel for the deer woods of GA. At 7.5 with an LPS 2.5x10 45 it will come in around 9 fully loaded.
I'm with ya on the Aussie ammo. I've got a bunch I've been shooting through my M1A. Good stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Actually I don't really think of it as looker. I was really thinking about having the whole thing done in a teflon black, and tossing the bottom metal for something quality. But then I shot it and got to remembering how few of these Remington made, and how well they shoot and I decided to wait a while, just to see what happens. I was actually suprised to find one, especially at that price, last I saw was over a grand and I have seen them as high as 1200, this guys in line line on that pricing that is with 15 bucks of the best price I have seen on this rifle and I shopped quite a bit when I bought mine.

Yes the LTR is lighter than mine cause I'm over 10.5 lbs with a 4x12 scope if my memory is right, no its not a light rifle.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I shoot the ltr and i love mine i bought it new and took it to be glassed and rebarelled while still unfired. my gunsmith test fired it before doing the work and it shot less than half minute out of the box he returned it unmodified and refused to alter it as it just shot too well as is. i bought it for the action and the stock to make a target rifle but now i just hunt with it all the time. it loves ballistic silver tip 168s and my match king load 2400 rounds later still under half minute. i bought a junker from a pawn shop to make the target rifle with.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the Rem. 700, 308 win, 5R's last year, after breaking in, I took the rifle to the range with handloads. The first five shot group measured .185"...For an "out of the box" factory rifle they are hard to beat in terms of accuracy. I use mine mostly for 600 yard shooting (F-class) and some Box Blind Whitetail Hunting...For the $$$ they are tough to beat in accuracy terms...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
83.3 deg+/- 66% Hum to pouring
Caliber bullet weight/style powder/charge hi vel low vel ES AV SD

308 168 SMK 43.5g 4064 2608 2563 45 2579 17
308 175 SMK 42.5g 4064 2465 2442 23 2450 10

I love mine and am working on finding some solid medium-long range loads.
Very comfortable rifle for deer and target shooting.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and info.
Sako

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I purchased one of the Rem. 700, 308 win, 5R's last year, after breaking in, I took the rifle to the range with handloads. The first five shot group measured .185"...For an "out of the box" factory rifle they are hard to beat in terms of accuracy

Thats real interesting news I don't have mine really broke in yet and haven't cooked up some accuracy loads, but I was optomistic I could get mine down into that range. What bullets were you using? I had Sierra match and Nosler match figured.

If I can get mine down into that aggregate I am going to visit my smith at his range and spank his new Zipper.

I don't know how Remington put these together, but they should build some more like these, they shoot great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
schromf:

My handloads consist of Lapua Brass, Federal 210 Match Grade Primers, 168 and 175 grain Sierra MK, and 43 grains of varget. I seat to OAL of 2.80. I do sort Brass and use Forester Ultra Dies, etc.

You may have to play around a bit with loading and OAL. I know use the 175's exclusively, as they are better for longer range (600+ yds) but the 168's shoot better at 100 yards in my rifle.

There are alot of guys around here that shoot these rifles...local gun shop has managed to stock them. Many guys around here modify them for "F Class" but I keep mine as is so it is somewhat similar to a hunting rifle. I was told they come out of the Custom Shop. They are fun to shoot and worth the $$$

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could believe these were out of the custom shop, probably explains why the barrels and the lugs were fit so well. They aren't listed in this years catalog, are this still available or we these just a limited run of 2004 guns?

Anyway I think I will give you load reciped a try, I will subsitute Federal match brass for the Lapua though, and I have assembled all the rest of the components except the Varget. I got a set of Redding benchrest dies though.

Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is they were/are limited "production" runs. Not sure about availablity in general, however, the local gun shop here has/had them in stock...

I am sure your Redding dies will work great.

Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Super Sniper 16X scope on my box stock 700 LTR. I zeroed it at 200 yards with the 178 gr. A-Max's and a max load of H-4895. Tinkered around with it shooting 12" steel gongs with it out to 500 yards from the bipod. A couple of months ago I shot it in a F class Palma match. Fartherest range fired was 900 yards. The rifle performed perfectly and the bullets were still super-sonic at 900. The rifle and I finished 4th out of a field of 6 rifles. 1st. place was one by my pal with a box stock 700P. We had the only two stock rifles on the line! Says a lot for the accuracy of the 700P and LTR.

NRA Life.
Walk softly, but carry...

Posts: 35 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LC,
Been checking with some other folks and have decided to get one. Got the wife zero'd in on it for my B-day next month. Thanks for the reply.
Sako

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two LTRs..one in 223 and the other in 308. Only mods have been to the triggers; the 223 was replaced with a Rifle Basix and the 308 was just worked down a bit (and it will probably be replaced when I can source another Basix).

The 223 is a .5 or less moa rifle with 55 gr Vmax, and 68/69 HPBTs. Very little work has been required to find consistent, accurate loads.

On the other hand, my 308 is taking a bit more work. At this stage it looks like the 155 Amax is good for about .75 moa and the 168 about .5. The Sierra HPBTs look good but nothing wonderful yet. Some bullets/loads looked like I'd been using a shotgun.

Handling characteristics are excellent, though the looks are aomething only a mother could love. The HS stock is very rigid, and the 308 has the worst felt recoil of any of the 308s that I regularly fire. Not nice off the bench, but not noticeable in the field.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I restocked my LTR, so can't comment too much on the original. The trigger sucks and without respringing it I don't think you'll adjust it to a satisfactory, safe level. I replaced mine with a Shilen and haven't looked back.
So far it's reasonably accurate but I've probably not done as much work with it as I should. I have a couple other 308's that are pretty hard to compete with..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I replaced mine with a Shilen and haven't looked back.

Pretty much what I have in mind, I was going to replace the J-lock crap at the same time. Mine is really on its last couple of range sessions on the original. I was hoping the trigger was going shoot into better, but I seriously doubt shooting and wear is going to improve it.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I dont know about now but last year when i bought my second .308 it came without a j lock and i think it is only available through police dealers or full line dealers it is not in the catalog and im not sure it ever was i have two in .223 the older one has no lock and the one fit for my supresor in in .223 has no lock either I see these for sale in shotgun news all the time. if you can get one without the detachable magazine i like that model better the mags are a pain to load through the top with them in the gun. the hinged florplate is the way to go.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Police versions= No J-lock or was on the last I saw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
schromf:

I had a local gunsmith adjust my factory trigger I think it is approx. 3.5lbs about as low as he advised. Thought about a replacement but I like keeping the rifle as close to factory guns as possible...I only shoot long range to improve my "hunting" accuracy. But there are many guys around here who have really changed up there 5R's.

I shot this morning 600 yard "F" class set-up.. not a match for the first time in about a year...my eye has been giving me some problems over the last year but it is improving...anyway 20 shots, 194 out of 200, 6 X's...I was happy with it given the lay off from shooting...not bad for an out of the box rifle, shooting prone at 600 yards..