New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Federal help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all. Quick question. I just sized up a .308 Winchester case (Win brass) to .338 using an RCBS FL .338 Fed die. These numbers concern me:
My reloading info states my measurments should read 1.675 inches from the bottom of the case to the base of the neck, but my die is giving me a measurment of 1.688, a little longer, but it chambers. A little stiff but it goes. My OAL is well under sammi spec. Is this a big deal?

Angering society one University student at a time.

Posts: 114 | Location: Lethbridge, Alberta. | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything there that scares me.
Not safty wise any way , Can you screw your die in a little farther ? Mabye if you have 2 shell holders you can grind one down a little to get a little more clearence for your die.
But if it chambers tight but your bullet is not up in the lands , I would not be overly concerned.
Don't start with a max load or anything.
I would not want to hunt with a round that chambers too stiffly , just for feeding problems.
But for load workup and just a chance to shoot your new rifle , I think you are ok. Just try to get some properly head stamped brass before you hunt with it.
By the way.
Is your .308 brass factory fresh ?
If its been fired in a slightly large chamber that could explain your funny measurements...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just trim the 13/1000ths off the case and be done with it?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pharaoh2:
Is this a big deal?

If the "stiffness" is caused by the chamber pinching the end of the neck, it may be a very big deal. Trim one and see if it chambers more easily. Then you will know your trim length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is pretty common for sizing UP brass, your expander ball is dragging the neck shoulder junction as it is pulled thru, lube inside of the necks good before you run thru yoyur sizer die, after they are fire formed in your chamber and resized I'll bet they are just fine. And as was explained make sure they are trimmed to trim length for initial firing..02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
after resizing 30-06 to 338-06 i noticed the shoulder area was just a little funny looking but after firing once they take the shape of the chamber better. all i can say is to inspect them after firing. lubing the inside throat does help a lot.

Posts: 79 | Location: northwest | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the shoulder is slightly set back on .338 fed. .308 will not chamber in my Sako. Be sure to full lenght resize the first time, and trim the OAL. That worked fine for me.

Dan