Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Mauser Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medium
posted
I'm a little ignorant about this gun. It was my grandfathers and it got passed down to me. It is a G.H. Haenel Suhl 1917 8mm Mauser. It has been "sporterized" I think. It has a peep sight. On the barrel has scratches (underneath the blueing) on the outside like it's been poorly worked in a lathe. Can anyone give me any information on it? I've shot it a few times and it shoots really straight. Can this firearm be rechambered to anything larger? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it is a former German military Gewehr 98, now sporterized and chambered for the 8x57 IS. Maybe not very attractive, but reliable, and useable for most North American game. Rechambering is possible (e.g. to the 8x60 S and 8x64 S), but neither necessary nor recommendable, since the 8x57 IS with proper loads is powerful enough as it is.

Best regards,
Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I appreciate your time in answering my questions. In order to put a scope on it, I have to have the bolt lengthened and some other work. Is it worth it to do this on this rifle?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medium:
Thanks! I appreciate your time in answering my questions. In order to put a scope on it, I have to have the bolt lengthened and some other work. Is it worth it to do this on this rifle?

I'am no expert but I don't think you will need to have the bolt lengthened for mounting a scope.You will almost certainally have to have the Handle Reworked (Bent) for mounting a scope on it.
The "Worth Doing" is up to you.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
I guess I need some more information to help me determine "worth doing." (Sorry for all of the questions). Is this a pretty common rifle? Will I be devaluing the rifle at all by changing the bolt and adding a scope? Thanks again.

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots straight I wouldn't mess with it. Scopes are over-rated when compared to a good apeture sight.

If you've got the itch to sporterize a Mauser there are many milsurps available for very little money (~$100).

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DobleTroble:
If you've got the itch to sporterize a Mauser there are many milsurps available for very little money (~$100).

The gun in question *is* a sporterized milsurp Mauser.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question of "is it worth it" is truely a personnal one. The rifle is already sporterized so you will not be lowering its value. The real question involves one of sentimental value. As it stands it is the rifle your Grandfather used in the way he used it. Bending or replacing the bolt hand, mounting a scope, swapping safties, replacing the trigger are all things that are worth doing if they will make the rifle more usable for you. The rifle would still essentially be your grandfather's rifle. It just would no longer be set up as he used it. Either way it will definately provide years of enjoyment and some lasting memories.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote