THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Help with possible pre-'64 Winchester

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with possible pre-'64 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
I have a friend with a Model 70 in 270 win. It was his father's, but he isn't sure when his father acquired the rifle. In my opinion it is a pre-'64 by the looks of it. I have the serial # if anybody is able to look it up for me. I am somewhat hesitant to post it here. I am not sure why but I think there is a general rule about that.

P.S. it has the crispest factory trigger I have ever felt.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George......Just post the serial number with the last two or three numbers displayed as "Xs". For instance: 237xxx. That will give an indication of the range and year. Or go here: http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm
and look it up for yourself.
If you want to chat about pre-64 70s e-mail me at Oldmodel70@aol.com Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks Oldmodel70! I used that link to find out it was made in 1950. Knowing that I might be able to get him to take better care of it. It is still in good shape, typical wear and tear, but the action feels like it hasn't cleaned in years. The trigger was very nice but the action was very sticky. No rust though thank god. It has been stored in a gun case in his reloading room for years.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote