THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    270 Nosler 160gn v Sako 156gn v 150gn "Other"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Nosler 160gn v Sako 156gn v 150gn "Other"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've posted this in the European Forum as I guess that the Sako Hammerhead might be unknown in the USA? But I will stand to be corrected!

However I guess also that a lot will have experience specifically of the Nosler 160gn Partition.

So here goes:

I'm using a standard Parker Hale 24" barrel 270 Winchester. Not a 270 WSM or a 270 Weatherby.

Please feedback and comments on experiences of these bullets only on wild boar and elk. Is there any advantage of Nosler Partition 160gn vs 156gn Sako Hammerhead vs 150gn "Other" (such as Sierra, Hornady, Speer)?

And is the Sako Hammerhead really "bonded" and how does it perform if anyone has any feedback. I'm also heard that for European hunting on boar, deer, elk that the Nosler Partition "blows up" and loses the front end on boar...so is actually not very good?

Any feedback on these bullets only please greatly appreciated! I'm trying to rationalise my bullets and thinking about going from Hornady 140gn Interlock to the Sako 156gn Hammerhead or the 160gn Nosler Partition as a "one size fits all".

Good for heavy game but also with no excessive velocity no excessive meat damage on small sized deer at say twenty or thirty yards in woodland.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm also heard that for European hunting on boar, deer, elk that the Nosler Partition "blows up" and loses the front end on boar...so is actually not very good?

This happens (and sometimes is referred to as "core wipe") but it isn't a problem it's by design. The front of the bullet expands but the back half remains intact to penetrate. You get both expansion and penetration in the same bullet. On harder critters, the front end can be lost completely, but the typical partition retains roughly 60% of its weight.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have not used the two specific bullets you mention, I have killed a number of elk using the Nosler Partition 150 grain bullet in the 270. This bullet has always performed excellently for me at ranges from 75 to 300 yards.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
While I haven't used the 160 gr. Partition on game, I have shot it in my .270 wcf. I was getting in the high 2800 fps range, and accuracy was acceptable (about 1.5" at 100 yards).

I decided instead to work up a load with the 150 gr. A-frame. That load was more accurate and had a muzzle velocity just over 3000 fps.

I shot a young moose last fall with this load, at about 240 yards. Penetration and expansion were excellent, with the bullet breaking both shoulders and probably the spine too.

While I don't know the ballistic coefficient of the Hammerhead, I suspect it may not be very high. I can tell you that the Nosler 160 gr. has a coefficient around .430, so it should keep it's velocity/energy moreso than the Hammerhead.

I would also echo LWD & Sagebrush's comments about the Nosler design. It has worked great for 60 years, and in the eyes of many it's the gold-standard for premium bullets.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a boar with the 160 Nosler Partition out of my 7mm Mag. If I were using my 270 I would go with the lesser power Nosler.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm also heard that for European hunting on boar, deer, elk that the Nosler Partition "blows up" and loses the front end on boar...so is actually not very good?

I've used the Nosler Partition 150-grain 270 bullet on Alaskan bears. The front cores were lost, but the bullet retained its' mushroom shape after expanding. The chest cavities were full of a bloody soup. Nothing could have survived the tissue destruction. The 160-grain bullets would have been even better. You can't beat the Nosler Partiton bullet for killing game animals. It is as good as there is!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have recovered Nosler Partitions in 22, 25, 27, 28, 30 and 33 calibers from deer, hogs, nilgai and elk. The only reason I have them is b/c I intentionally waited for the animals to position themselves to try and keep the bullet in the body---bullet testing--w/ one exception, the 270. It was recovered on the off side of a hog at 25 yds AFTER driving a straight line thru a 5 inch mesquite tree. Yes, the front was gone, but it still went thru and killed the hog. After 35 years of reloading & shooting, I do not think you will find a better non-dangerous game bullet. They also shoot very well!

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Enfield You seem to want a bullet that will penetrate deeply in a variety of game and not open up too violently that is results in excessive meat damage. Depending on what part of the world one comes from can have quite an effect on what they consider good bullet performance. The Nosler Partition is an excellent bullet . Most of the Partition bullets have approx 60 % of their weight in the forward section and as someone has already pointed out that section often comes apart and results in massive tissue damage. The remaining 40% in the rear section penetrates deeply and usually exits the animal leaving a positive blood trail. The swift A frame bullet is similar in construction except the lead core is bonded to the copper jacket and the forward section of the A-frame is normally only 40% of the bullets weight with the remaining 60% in the rear core. The A-frame bullets penetrate very deeply and recovered bullets usually weigh 95 % + of their unfired weight. I am not suggesting that there are not other good bullets but you will be hard pressed to find a better bullet for the "one bullet fits all" than the Partition or an A-Frame.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't favour the 160 grain Nosler Partition in 270. I carry 150 grain Nosler Partition in my 270 when deer hunting in big bear country. I tried the 160 grain, but it always struck me as the 270 equivalent of a 220 grain 30-06 - more of a round nose. It is more powerful for the first 50 yards but subject to the law of diminishing returns after that. I can see arming up with the 220 grain in 308 for short range shots, but I don't see carrying a 270 for powered-up short range shooting.

Posts: 38 | Location: Between sunrises. | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote