Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
This rifle makes no sense check out the sights,
and the price ouch!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42212816

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
That is the first time I have ever heard of, let alone seen a 35 Whelen across the course rifle.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Long range shooting with a 35 Whelen? Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Long range shooting with a 35 Whelen? Big Grin

Works for me HUNTING, but WHY in the 'ell would you build a rifle like this when bullet manufacturers don't even make match bullets in .358?!?!?

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoever bought that rifle from USRAC is a true idiot.

First of all, a 35 caliber ANYTHING is not legal in NRA Match Rifles. 35 caliber is the limit for NRA Any Rifle, but why bother when there have been MUCH better alternatives for quite some time now.

Also, the sights and stock have LONG since stopped being state of the art.

That rifle is pretty much worthless.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:

Perhaps he just has different tatstes than you and money to undulge his whims?

First of all, a 35 caliber ANYTHING is not legal in NRA Match Rifles. 35 caliber is the limit for NRA Any Rifle, but why bother when there have been MUCH better alternatives for quite some time now.

Also, the sights and stock have LONG since stopped being state of the art. [/QUOTE]

quote:

If it shoots it ain't worthless. If it doesn't fit a particular void in your needs then it simply isn't for you. But, worthless? I think not.

I've seen similar rifles used in informal cast bullet rifle silhouette matches. Those owners didn't think their rifles worthless, on the contrary, they got immense pleasure shooting them. The fact that it wasn't a sanctioned match didn't seem to dimminish their enjoyment factor one bit.

To each their own.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsracer:
bullet manufacturers don't even make match bullets in .358?!?!?

Oh...yes they do "Lost River Ballistic Techonlogies" 225gr with a .530BC It's called a J36 Match hunting bullet. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C Nut:
quote:
bullet manufacturers don't even make match bullets in .358?!?!?

Oh...yes they do "Lost River Ballistic Techonlogies" 225gr with a .530BC It's called a J36 Match hunting bullet. Big Grin

I forgot about that one. But I 'betcha the rifle was built, before the bullet was available. Big Grin

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:

Perhaps he just has different tatstes than you and money to undulge his whims?

Also, the sights and stock have LONG since stopped being state of the art.

quote:

If it shoots it ain't worthless. If it doesn't fit a particular void in your needs then it simply isn't for you. But, worthless? I think not.

I've seen similar rifles used in informal cast bullet rifle silhouette matches. Those owners didn't think their rifles worthless, on the contrary, they got immense pleasure shooting them. The fact that it wasn't a sanctioned match didn't seem to dimminish their enjoyment factor one bit.

To each their own.[/QUOTE]
Whatever you say, chief.

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
I forgot about that one. But I 'betcha the rifle was built, before the bullet was available. Big Grin

You got me there...didn't think about that..LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 323, nice biathlon rig. cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to do a lot of HP shooting, some of what was on a 200 yard reduced course. I somtines shot cast lead (out of an '06 match rifle), and I remember thinking "what would be the ultimate cast lead caliber for the reduced course on a windy day?" The 35 Whelan would be it. Full power, powder filling loads, and extra weight compared to the '06. I thought that someday I would re-barrel my 1917 match rifle in 35 for fun.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Don't poke fun till you see the 600 yd. Target!!! The .35 Whelen has a reputation for being quite accurate. Mine has lived up to that reputation in spayds!!!

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It's interesting just because it's so odd but not $4700 interesting. If it was the one and only pre-64 35 Whelen that might be different.

Kind of like Yugo making just one car with a Offenhauser; still a crappy Yugo.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
Don't poke fun till you see the 600 yd. Target!!! The .35 Whelen has a reputation for being quite accurate. Mine has lived up to that reputation in spayds!!!

Man, Mike. SPAY is bad word on a forum of men. You meant SPADES, huh?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:

Mike a 35 Whelen zeroed a 200 yards has a 72 inch drop at 500 and is going down like a rock. I'm not sure you couldn't even find a scope with enough elevation to show the bulls eye at 600 yards and compensate for the drop.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am no expert on long range shooting by any means but any of the 35 calibers can be very accurate. They can be loaded with lighter weight 35 cal pistol bullets and pushed at very high velocities and shoot very flat. I have used pistol bullets in 358 win mag and 350 rem mag with great results. Never got into long range shooting with either. But would think you could reduce the bullet drop significantly at longer ranges due to the lighter weight and higher velocity.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I didn't know there was a 358 Win Mag. Did I miss something? Norma maybe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
and the price ouch!

I recall reading (about 10-12 years ago) about a series of M70 course rifles built in some larger calibers. The largest was a .458 Win Mag. Wonder if this is the fellow who had the series built. Guess its for someone who has unlimited funds. Does not make any sense for target shooting but then again there is a lot of that going around these days.

Corbin

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
I am no expert on long range shooting by any means but any of the 35 calibers can be very accurate. They can be loaded with lighter weight 35 cal pistol bullets and pushed at very high velocities and shoot very flat. I have used pistol bullets in 358 win mag and 350 rem mag with great results. Never got into long range shooting with either. But would think you could reduce the bullet drop significantly at longer ranges due to the lighter weight and higher velocity.

The recoil of a 35 Whelen load that can keep up with a 243 Winchester or 6 mmXC pushing a 115 gr VLD bullet at 3000 fps is going to be unbearable after ten shots, let alone the twenty of a typical 1000 yard prone match.

The trend in Highpower and NRA Long Range has been steadily towards smaller, longer bullets of VERY high BCs at 2800 to 3100 fps.

David Tubb won the 2004 NRA Long Range Championship with an astonishing 1450-bunch of Xs (a perfect score) using a 6 mmXC and a 115 gr DTAC (Sierra) 115 grain HPBTM.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I think this is one of those one-of-a-kind factory rifles that someone ordered in an odd-ball configuration with the express intent of owning the only one that will ever be built.

If he gets $4700 for it as a collector's piece he's achieved his goal.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The recoil of a 35 Whelen load that can keep up with a 243 Winchester or 6 mmXC pushing a 115 gr VLD bullet at 3000 fps is going to be unbearable after ten shots, let alone the twenty of a typical 1000 yard prone match.
Never looked at it that way. I always used pistol bullets more on the mild side to reduce recoil. See I told you I knew nothing about long range shooting.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the price ouch!

Is David Tubb taking up bear hunting?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .366torque:
quote:
and the price ouch!

Is David Tubb taking up bear hunting?

clap