THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Lapua Naturalis Loads in 9.3 x 62

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Naturalis Loads in 9.3 x 62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried the Lapua Naturalis 9.3 x 62 270 grain loads on big game? How did they perform? They shoot very well on paper in my CZ, but I haven't taken any game with them. Thanks for your comments.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only tried them for accuracy which by the way was super. The interesting thing to me was the recoil seemed much milder than the Lapua 286 grain Mega loads. Point of aim for both was pretty close but much more pleasant shooting. I'm going to try them on deer in the fall. bewildered

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tried the Lapua Naturalis 9.3 x 62 270 grain loads on big game? How did they perform? They shoot very well on paper in my CZ, but I haven't taken any game with them. Thanks for your comments

I would like to try them as well. Were can I purchase the Lapua Naturalis?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway usually carries them. thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three times more expensive than 18,5g PP/PPU loads, dreadful! bawling
Balle bimetallique sans plomb,oh no! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they are expensive. I think they are going for over $50/box of 20 in the Midway catalog, but they sure are an interesting design and I couldn't help but want to try them out. There is an interesting video clip on the Lapua website that introduces and explains the leadless Naturalis bullet. Interestingly enough, I also noticed that the recoil of this load was not as heavy as the 286 grain loads. My brothers who fired this load, were also surprised at the low recoil. I am very impressed with them overall, and will use them during Utah's elk hunt. I'll describe the results if I am successful. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the velocity is with such reduced recoil for only 16 grs weight difference?

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead,
I did the conversions from meters/second to feet/second and came up with 2400 fps. However, I don't know what length of barrel they used for testing.

posted Hide Post
Hi!

I shot a moose with a Naturalis with my 9,3x64 last year, Vo 750m/s, 99,7% weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ulsa, nice picture! From the name on your match box (?), I'm guessing you are from Scandinavia - most likely Sweden, less likely Norway or Finland??

I also like the pink Dino (?) in the background! Wink I guess you must be blessed with kids in your household, or is the pink Dino yours by any chance?? Big Grin
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ulsa,
Thanks for sharing your picture. It looks like the bullet performed flawlessly. How far did the bullet penetrate into your moose?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Hey Ulsa, nice picture! From the name on your match box (?), I'm guessing you are from Scandinavia - most likely Sweden, less likely Norway or Finland??

I also like the pink Dino (?) in the background! Wink I guess you must be blessed with kids in your household, or is the pink Dino yours by any chance?? Big Grin
- mike

Hi!

Good guess I'm from the northern of Sweden (Umeå) and the pink dino is one of my kids Smiler.

About penetrating I was a bit surprised that the bullet did not pass the moose. One of the reason I changed from a 308W to a 9.3x64 was to get safe shots right trough mooses to get safe tracks of blood in cases of a bad shot or if the moose runs a bit after a shot.

One more good thing is that this bullet also smashed ribs on both side of the moose without loosing parts.

I found the bullet on the oposite side of the skin, my guess is that the bullet stopped because of the large diameter after expansion.

But of course to get a correct answer you need a lot more data from many shots, however I feel confident about this bullet and I will give it a try on the next season too.

regards /Ulrik

posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if the bullet heads are available in component form and if so what are they called?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I’ve not used the Lapua Naturalis in the 9.3x62 yet.

However recently there was an article in a Spanish Hunting Magazine, about a Hunt in Lituania where the author used the Lapua Naturalis in 9.3x62mm to shoot four wild boars over three days of driven -hunts.
All the boars, weighting from 50 to 130 Kg, only needed one shot, and only the bullet from the 130Kg Boar was recovered with a very nice expansion.
All the other bullets exited the boars, and according to the author observations, they made very big exit holes, and expanded rapidly, even on the small boars.

Hope it helps,
Cheers,

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
Does anybody know if the bullet heads are available in component form and if so what are they called?

Pete, the bullets are sold here in Switzerland under the "Naturalis" name. They are quite pricey - even for Switzerland... Scroll down a bit on this page to 9.3mm...

Waffen Wildi, Zofingen CH

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsa:
[QUOTE]
Hi!

Good guess I'm from the northern of Sweden (Umeå) and the pink dino is one of my kids Smiler.

About penetrating I was a bit surprised that the bullet did not pass the moose. One of the reason I changed from a 308W to a 9.3x64 was to get safe shots right trough mooses to get safe tracks of blood in cases of a bad shot or if the moose runs a bit after a shot.

One more good thing is that this bullet also smashed ribs on both side of the moose without loosing parts.

I found the bullet on the oposite side of the skin, my guess is that the bullet stopped because of the large diameter after expansion.

But of course to get a correct answer you need a lot more data from many shots, however I feel confident about this bullet and I will give it a try on the next season too.

regards /Ulrik

The 9,3x64 is a penetrator!!!

Well the Naturalis performed well, but the Diameter is high because of the performance...

And 800m/s should be able without a problem with your 9,3x64...