Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 * 284 cal.
 Login/Join

posted
Looking to purchase 6.5mm * 284 cal rifle, long range hunting, uk deer and vermin. looking for advise, which manufacturer (off the shelf) or which custom made rifle can you recommend?

Posts: 4 | Location: UK | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anyone who makes one off the shelf, but I had mine done by MRC and they did an excellent job. You would have to ask them about international shipping.

Good luck.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I do not know of any factory offerings but if i were having one made, it would be on a med. or std. length action so you could take advantage of the long 140gr bullets. I don't feel a 2.80" mag. box does the round justice.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
WJ, do you now how much fitting is required for these 3"mag boxes? I have a M700SA in .260ai that I would love to have a 3.0" mag box for. It would let me get that looong 142grsmk out just a bit more. Do you happen to have Rifles, Inc. e-mail?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I do not know how much is required to fit 3"box.
info@riflesinc.com
rs@pgwdti.com

I dont know if they will supply or fit such boxes to your rifle. They may only be interested in supplying complete custom rifles. You could ask.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at http://www.schultzlarsen.com
they have what you need

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hi Poddy:

Why not just build a 6.5mm-06 on a 700 Remington LA, and call it good. Performance is as good or better than the 284 case, and you don't have to "fiddle with anything to make it work! Plus, cases are cheap and plentiful and easy to form.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Remington 700 Laminated Stainless Steel Mountain Rifles are available in the UK, but if they are, it wouldn't be much of the job to rechamber a 700 LSS MR from 260 to 6.5-284. Of course, I don't know why you would really want to, since there isn't any/much practical difference in performance in the field between the 260, 6.5x55, or 6.5-284 when deer and vermin are the targets.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
pretty sure blaser do a 6.5/284 , ive seen one in a offroad model , a guy i know uses it for deer and has made shots out to 670 yards , so for long range deer it should do the job .

Posts: 24 | Location: Waikato , New Zealand | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
In the UK I would say a 6,5x 284 in the Blaser R 93 system would be tough to beat. For deer staliking the Sauer 202 LAW in 6,5x55 SE would be my second choice. I would buy the Blaser and apply for a lisc. for a second barrel too

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am gonna go with Jerry Eden on this one. The 6.5/284 is stylish in certain types of target shooting competition but as a hunting round offers NO advantage whatsoever over a dozen rounds I could name you. Do yourself a favour and go with something more mundane. Remember the KISS rule (keep it simple stupid)

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
But in the UK, I would think that Norma 6,5 x 284 would be pretty easy to obtain compared to .260 Rem. The 6,5x55 SE is a good one too. I have to disagree on the 6,5x284 I do alot of shooting with one and it really is a spectacular calibre, so much so I have an R93 barrel on order

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poddy,

Welcome to the forum.

I like off the shelf rifles also and there are not a lot of choices with the 6.5/284. The thing to do is to just use what you have as similar cartridges give similar results.

For long range varminting I view the 6.5 mm bore as interesting. A 264 WM I have shoots very well so thats what I use. I would not get fixed on a particular round unless you want to throw money at it.

If you do here is a 6.5/284 that someone has had made up on a BAT action. This is not a halfway project and it will take time to get one made. I like the paint job on this gun.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have quite a few 6.5x55 Sakos converted to 6.5x284 among my friends. It is an easy conversion and use the excellent Lapua brass. It is the next best thing to a factory ready gun. thumb

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote