Notify
Tools

270 win. why
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny:
I think I will start a thread on how over-rated the 7mm mag is, on second thought my hunting buddies will see it and complain,again.
DITTO!

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I've never fired one. But, I have 6 30-06's and 2 .308's. I taken over 200 deer with these 2 cartridges and only had a single doe that reqired a second shot because a 165 grain sierra failed to penetrate full on a severly quartering shot from the rear at 15 feet. The 270 may be great? I'm happy with what is working for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only chambering better than a .270 Win is a .270 WSM. I like my Deer rifle to shoot fast. I load a 130 grain to 3450 fps, and a 150 grain bullet to 3260 fps. Perfect for Mulies or Whitetails in bean fields. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Worse better? What's the problem? If you don't like it don't use it. Why all this time spent on a moot point? It is a tool. It has it's limitations. Use it incorrectly and you may get bit. Use it wisely and it will give you a life time of service.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone gave me a 270win,I would gladly accept it.I would then rebarrel it or trade it off for something else.The 270win is larger than necessary for deer sized game,and on the small side for elk and moose.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
The only chambering better than a .270 Win is a .270 WSM. I like my Deer rifle to shoot fast. I load a 130 grain to 3450 fps, and a 150 grain bullet to 3260 fps. Perfect for Mulies or Whitetails in bean fields. Good shooting.

Wow - thats better than Winchester Factory ammo

http://www.winchester.com/prod...e=1&ctype=1&action=1 -

amazing how some of you guys get better than factory ammo out of a wsm. I have never had a 270 wsm but i sure as hell struggled to get factory figures out of my 300wsm.

Very impressive! Cool

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In fact, come to think of it thats as good as a 270 Wby!! I did not realise the 270 wsm would give the 270Roy a run for its money!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
why would any one use one except that years ago a very good hunter(O'conner) wrote about it.

Huh....maybe because it works as well as O'conner said? (And he wasn't all that great a hunter, he just had the money for some good guides and outfitters who hand carried him to a lot of game.)

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG ----- I shoot two .270 WSM's. Both Model 70 Winchesters. The New Haven Ultimate Shadow with stainless barrel is 50 to 100 fps faster than the South Carolina produced Featherweight Deluxe Model that has a Chrome Moly barrel. I can get the faster speeds only with the grooved bullets for some odd reason. You are right those speeds are equal to the .270 Roy and better than some I have shot. This .270 WSM is a hot son-of-a-gun. Just this past weekend I achieved something I see very seldom, a same POI (point-of-impact) with the same bullet from different rifles. I have 20 sacs of the discontunued Nosler Solid Base bullets that are cosmetic blemished, these bullets are sold at a bargain from Nosler, and I mean cheap. Both my rifes shoot that bullet at 3325 to 3375 fps and within .5 inch of the same POI. This is important to me because between my son, myself and my two hunting grandsons, we can pick up the rifles and not worry about different POI's, then go and point and shoot in the field. I get the faster speeds with the 130 grain grooved bullet like the North Fork (I managed to have a few when Mike went out of business) or the Barnes TSX. Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
The 270win is larger than necessary for deer sized game,and on the small side for elk and moose.

Confused Too large for this kind of game; too small for other can be said about most cartridges, e.g., 308. 30-06, 375 H&H, etc. bewildered

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
This thread had to be created by a "troller".Anyone with any shooting experience, knows the 270 Winchester is a "fabulous" cartridge. The only elk I every shot that didn't flinch, hit the ground and never moved, was with a 270 Winchester, 3 elk in all with the 270. If you like your 7mm whatever, shoot it and enjoy. There are no bad cartridges, but all I have to say is, look at all the cartridges that have come and gone since 1925, and the 270 is as strong as ever. All the bull shit we all talk is great, but the fact the 270 Winchester along with the 30-06, is still going strong says it all.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
My 270 shows NO respect for a 30/06 at 200 yards!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MLG ----- I shoot two .270 WSM's. Both Model 70 Winchesters. The New Haven Ultimate Shadow with stainless barrel is 50 to 100 fps faster than the South Carolina produced Featherweight Deluxe Model that has a Chrome Moly barrel. I can get the faster speeds only with the grooved bullets for some odd reason. You are right those speeds are equal to the .270 Roy and better than some I have shot. This .270 WSM is a hot son-of-a-gun. Just this past weekend I achieved something I see very seldom, a same POI (point-of-impact) with the same bullet from different rifles. I have 20 sacs of the discontunued Nosler Solid Base bullets that are cosmetic blemished, these bullets are sold at a bargain from Nosler, and I mean cheap. Both my rifes shoot that bullet at 3325 to 3375 fps and within .5 inch of the same POI. This is important to me because between my son, myself and my two hunting grandsons, we can pick up the rifles and not worry about different POI's, then go and point and shoot in the field. I get the faster speeds with the 130 grain grooved bullet like the North Fork (I managed to have a few when Mike went out of business) or the Barnes TSX. Good shooting.

Phurley 5

That is impressive....could I ask you for load details as I have just bought a new FN produced Featherweight & should have it in the next 14 days or so.

Many thanks.

mlg

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLG:
quote:

In fact, come to think of it thats as good as a 270 Wby!! I did not realise the 270 wsm would give the 270Roy a run for its money!

Aw heck it easy! You just have to remember to bring a brass mallet to open the bolt with and wear goggles for when the primers pop! Who really loads cases more than once or twice anyway? Big Grin

But seriously anyone getting those velocity's out of a 270 WSM ISN'T doing it within normal pressures!...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG ----- Yesterday I was shooting my new Featherweight Deluxe with a shooting buddy who is a .270 Win shooter for 50 yeears. My load was 130 grain Nosler Solid Base, 210M primer and 68 grains RL-22 powder. My speeds were in the upper 3370's for the first two shots over my Oehler 35-P chronograph. He was amazed at the speeds (he was recording them on my chronograph sheet) and asked me if I ever got one over 3400. The very next and last shot in the string was 3401 fps. The group was two shots touching and the third 3/4 inch a way. I have got the one holer when I do my part, with that same load. ----- djpaintles -- That brass extracted normally and the primer showed no signs of pressure. My other rifle shoots all bullets faster than the Featherweight Deluxe. I shoot on my private benchs, you would more than welcome to come shoot with me, I enjoy the company, particularly reloaders. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the .270 - because it works. I've never owned one; I've long shot 30-06's almost exclusively, and recently haved fallen in love with the 9.3X62. However, as a range master and gun dealer I always recommended the .270 Win. as first choice for deer size game. Low recoil, flat shooting, usually very accurate and a large selection of effective bullets make the .270 nearly perfect deer and antelope.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .270 was one of several I agonized over for my first deer rifle.Same goes for the Winchester Featherweight.I have a 7x57 and a .280 both Rugers so I need a .270 like a hole'n the head. But I still want that Featherwieight in .270!

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I definately prefer the 7mm Rem Mag over the .270 Win. I lost confidence in the .270 Win I had (M70 Fwt). While I won't poo-poo the .270 Win, I also don't shoot one anymore.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG ----- I gave you the wrong load, I was going from memory and you know how that goes sometimes. The load I was trying to remember yesterday was 74 grains of Magpro with 210M primer and the 130 grain Nosler Solid Base cosmetic blemished bullet. Now that I have my log in front of me, the three shots cronographed 3340-3375-3401 fps for an average of 3372 fps. The load I took a small Mule Deer Buck with last year in Colorado was 140 grain Barnes TSX with 68 grains of RL-25, Fed 210M primer and Remington Brass. That load cronographed 3272 fps for a three shot average. Between the RL-22, RL-25 and Magpro, my 270 WSM's flourish. Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MLG ----- I gave you the wrong load, I was going from memory and you know how that goes sometimes. The load I was trying to remember yesterday was 74 grains of Magpro with 210M primer and the 130 grain Nosler Solid Base cosmetic blemished bullet. Now that I have my log in front of me, the three shots cronographed 3340-3375-3401 fps for an average of 3372 fps. The load I took a small Mule Deer Buck with last year in Colorado was 140 grain Barnes TSX with 68 grains of RL-25, Fed 210M primer and Remington Brass. That load cronographed 3272 fps for a three shot average. Between the RL-22, RL-25 and Magpro, my 270 WSM's flourish. Good shooting.

Phurley5

Many thanks! We cannot get Magpro here Downunder but Rel 22 & 25 I have got.

I plan to run 140gn Accubonds in mine if they shoot okay.

Cheers,

mlg

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Just to add to this topic, and get at a few of the naysayer's. I have a 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester 26" barrel, what else?? Not only is it close to a one holer, they never shoot them all in one hole, all the time. Now, with Winchester brass, and a 130 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, and IMR4831, I am averaging around 3350 FPS, Once in a while, I also get above 3400FPS, so I believe the WSM will do it. I don't know much about the pressures the WSM'S are running, I see no use for them, personally, but in my case, case life is normal and no bolt opening problems.Plus. I shoot this stuff in Arizona, where it is hot, and high pressure always shows it nasty head durng the summer here.

I don't find these results exceptional, I think others are getting the same thing. I find this interesting, because this load was a favorite of an earlier 1969, model 700 I owned.

Enjoy!!

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok 130gr bullets at 3350 with Magpro and 140's at 3260 is a lot better sounding than 150's at 3260 and 130s at over 3450.
I think that you'll find that 68grs of RL-22 with 140's is going to be too hot in some rifles. Both of my Kimbers get near the same velocity with 2grains less powder, 68grs is definately too hot for them.................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You can be in confident in knowing that the 270 Win will be bringing home the bacon and spawning campfire discussion for the next hundred years or so.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles ----- One question, what primer are you using. My logs show over 40 rounds that average 3450 fps, and I get those speeds with only one bullet, close with another. The two bullets are 130 grain North Fork and Barnes TSX. I use a Oehler 35-P chronograph. As I have stated previously one of my barrels shoot 50 to 100 fps faster than the other on all loads. I will never repeat here something I cannot show in black and white from my logs. Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a 270 Winchester that rifle shoots to 600 yds no problem. I have a burris 3X9 power scope on it.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote