THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    bolt action suitable for a 9.3 x 74r???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt action suitable for a 9.3 x 74r???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
looking for suggestons for an action to build a 9.3 x 74r.... i like win model70's, but they are too short....and after talking to several gunsmiths, they have concern over it being a rimmed cartridge...i talked to montana rifles, they will chamber a barrel, but not a barrelled action....i have a ruger#1 in 9.3 on order, but who knows if it will ever deliver....eventually i'll have a double rifle in this caliber, but i'd also like a bolt gun... ideas, suggestions???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A CZ 550, cheap enough to make what ever will fit!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only concern is a .526 case head and a .532 bolt head. But I think it's doable.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting it to feed reliably. I would go the Ruger #1 route. I have one in a wildcat .338x74Keith. The OAL is right at 4.00".Eeker Very cool round for elk soze game.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Why looking for trouble in chambering a bolt action for a long rimmed case ? Tne 9,3x62 gives you the same ballistics (even a bit more if you handload) and feeding will be perfect.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Smiler
there's only one way to go: The British Certus action:

Boha, couldn't resist..

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If it is the allure of the 9.3 X 74R case then you'll do what you have to do. If it is the increased case capacity over the 9.3 x 62, their are other higher capacity rimless cases commercially produced to feed from a bolt rifle that are a lot better choice, ie; 9.3 x 64, and others I can't think of right now.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
www.countryclubuk.com/ci/ci76_rifles.pdf

I had a barrel made in 9.3x74R for my Encore frame. It is excellent in the single shot, and I would really like to have a double rifle someday in that caliber.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider trying this cartridge in anything but a single shot or double, which is what it was designed for, and the main reason it has survived so long.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
looking for suggestons for an action to build a 9.3 x 74r.... i like win model70's, but they are too short....and after talking to several gunsmiths, they have concern over it being a rimmed cartridge...i talked to montana rifles, they will chamber a barrel, but not a barrelled action....i have a ruger#1 in 9.3 on order, but who knows if it will ever deliver....eventually i'll have a double rifle in this caliber, but i'd also like a bolt gun... ideas, suggestions???

A magnum mauser action could be fitted I believe, just like what Rigby did with their
400/350, with a slantet magazine box.....
......it could be very interesting cheers

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote