New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Ever lost ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay time to find out the importance of ammo availability.

How many people choose their caliber based on available ammo?

How many people have actually lost ammo and had to buy factory ammo in a store.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo? I loose it, but find it a few years later. Usually 1k of rounds at a time.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I never lost my ammo, but did take the wrong box on a moose hunt in Canada once. Ever try finding .444 Marlin in a little town in western Alberta?...or shooting.30-06 in a .444?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 9,3x62 and .458 AR ammo did not make the plane from Amsterdam to Jo'berg on May 24, 2009. Airlines said it would arrive late the 26th.

We talked the SAP into providing a packet of documents authorizing the airlines to carry it to my destination unaccompanied.

I bought local 9,3x62 ammo to hunt with the first day. The ammo did arrive ... but I'd not have bet on it, which is why I do always take one rifle for which I can buy local ammo.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but I made it to the range and found out it was still at home, right where I left it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .366torque:
No, but I made it to the range and found out it was still at home, right where I left it. Roll Eyes

Man I hate when I do that, and you know, when you get back home, the first thing you do is walk right to the place it is setting just to prove you left it!! LOL

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
No...at least not yet. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Yes
and the rifles Frowner

Showed up much, much later

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I arrived in Stockholm for a hunt to discover one bag and my gun case made it but the bag with the ammo somehow ended up in Moscow.

The airline gave each of us $100.00 to buy ammo and fortunantly I had a 30-06 and my friend a 7x57R so we had no problem getting our ammo in Sweden.

The bag caught up with us one week later just before we headed out of the area for our next hunt in Finland

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I shoot factory ammo only to get fire formed cases....my dad loaded before I was born so I have never hunted or carried factory ammo so I am carefull to always protect it.

I have never forgotten or lost my handloads for 30+ years of hunting. The day may come however...I hope not.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
No, never lost factory ammo. But you have never lived until you left the bolt at home!

John

PS, sometimes you gotta love fed-ex!

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but I have run low while on two extended safaris. Once I borrowed 375H&H soft point ammo and once 458wm solid ammo. 11 lbs of the bigger stuff doesn't go that far.

And yes, when I choose my rifles, availablity of ammo is a consideration. So is my choice of rifle and or back up rifle when I travel.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
As soon as I type this, I'll lose ammo on my next trip. Never happened. Good thing too as I only own two factory chamberings, my 404j & the 280, might as well be wildcats though.
Where would the fun be in choosing a rifle based on factory ammo? We would all be hunting w/ a 30-06 & 375h&h, great carts to hunt w/ but way too common for my likes.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We would all be hunting w/ a 30-06 & 375h&h, great carts to hunt w/ but way too common for my likes.

Hmmm, I resemble that remark. 30-06, 375H&H, 458wm, my three primary rifles are in those cartridges. Hunt the world, ubiquitous ammo to boot.

And my 22lr sees a lot of use, also ubiquitous ammo.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote