Find
Notify
Tools

What is it worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I just got back from my local gunshop and I know Satan has followed me all the way. I saw a Pre-War (WWII) Model 70 Win. .30-06 that looked like it just came out of the box. Now, not having just fallen off the turnip truck, I know that it has been re-finished. Whoever did it, did it right. There are no dished out screw holes, the Win matt finish and knurling are still sharp and clean on the receiver and there are no rounded off edges from a hog wheel. It has the European style bolt handle, solid knob and squared off at the root. The stock has been re-finished just like the original. The only thing missing is the rear sight that has been replaced with a Redfield receiver peep sight. They're asking $598 + tax for it. Should I run back and grab it?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If I knew where it was I'd try to beat you there! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Except for the backward safety they are fine rifles and it sounds like a good buy to me. If the finish is as you state whats NOT to buy. The Redfield probably wouldn't be original as If memory serves me all factory 70's had Lyman reciever sights when so equipped. My 48 270 does. It could well have come with a reciever sight from factory.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
After giving it a few hours, I've decided I don't need a safe queen or a .30-06. Anybody interested in this rifle can see it at;
Action Gun Outfitters
2787 Aurora Rd.
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-242-1114

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any model 70 is worth $400 as that's what the action alone will fetch at auction. Heck, the Redfield rear peep is worth $150 alone! Sounds like you found a good used (read honest) hunting rifle that has been carefully restored -COOL BEANS! Buy it, shoot it, and be happy.

Note: Look the rear bridge over for a 4th hole. Most pre-war model 70s had only one hole in the top of the rear bridge and two on the side.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Doggone it, you guys have me vascilating all over the place. First, I will, then I won't, then I will. I think I'll sleep on it and, if it's still there tomorrow, I'll get it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd buy it today. Hell you can always use another 30-06.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
BUY IT NOW!

I bought a 1949 M70 30-06 last year even though I didn't really need it. At $600 without a blemish on it I couldn't pass it up. Man, what a shooter it has turned out to be. It liked all factory ammon I ran thru it but it really likes 180 TSX @ 2800 fps. I found a used McMillian G&H stock(cheap) for it and it shot even better! Now I don't have to worry about dinging the orginal stock when I take it hunting. Sub 1/2 MOA all day long.

ps: those 180 TSX work even on our smaller whitetails - bang flop(cartwheel really) shoulder shot @ 160 yards on 90lb doe last fall.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy it, then think about it. If you decide you really don't want it you can sell it. If you don't buy it I know you will always say, "I should have".

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote