New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30cal LR-hunting bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what bullets do you long-range hunters use for your .30cal magnums, and why?

(i have to ask this silly question here, since where i live any shot taken at beyond 150m is considered unethical by the majority of hunters)

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acouple fellas I know use 180 and 200 gr. nosler accubonds.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I second the Noslers. I disliked them for about 30 years but when the balistic tips came out everything changed for me.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I dont have personal expierience with them but I have read that they are having awesome results on thin skinned game with the Berger match VLD bullets. They say that they drop deer like a bad habit and the bullets are designed for long range taget shooting. Berger even started packaging some of them in blaze orange boxes.I believe shooting times(?) had an article where they hunted in New Zealand with them and had really good results on stag.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:

(i have to ask this silly question here, since where i live any shot taken at beyond 150m is considered unethical by the majority of hunters)

A lot of "hunters" here can't even hit a deer at 150 (yards or meters), so the whining your hearing isn't just local.

At long range you want a bullet that will perform well at the lower impact velocities seen with LR hunting. Ballistic tips and Matchkings do well at the lower speeds found at the longer ranges.
Inside of 300 yd/meters, however just about any standard bullet will do well.
Just for definition of terms, most consider ranges under 300 to be short range, 300-600 is mid-range and 600-1100 is LR

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to use Sierra's 165 and 180 grain .308" HPBT bullets. They're stouter then those with the exposed lead tip, and they are every bit as good as Nosler's Ballistic tip bullet. It is also my experience that heavy for calibre bullets do best in situations such as this.

I also use Nosler's Ballistic tip and have found that if they are of the same weight, they shoot to the same point of impact as does the partition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do matchbullets have good enough terminal ballistics compared to dedicated hunting bullets such as Nosler Accubond, Swift Scirocco etc?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
do matchbullets have good enough terminal ballistics compared to dedicated hunting bullets such as Nosler Accubond, Swift Scirocco etc?

That's a whole 'nuther bag of snakes, and IIRC the last time it was "discussed" here the thread ran some 10-12 pages.
Even with the big mags, when your out in the 1 KM range they are moving relatively slow compared to there initial MV. The match bullets tend to have soft (pure) lead cores and fairly thin jackets, both things which lead to decent expansion at low(er) velocities, but tend to make them fragment up close.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The Berger VLDs work very well on game. The 185 in 30 cal and the 168 in 7mm, from all I've seen, perform flawlessly.

IMO, the Nosler Ballistic Tip is the most accurate "hunting" bullet out there, with the AB and TSX in second and not far behind.

Honestly, the Btip will perform quite well at longer ranges.

I suppose if I had to choose a few among most all bullets, I'd either shoot the VLD, Wildcat, or one of the Noslers (not the partition).

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you guys think a .30cal 200gr accubond at 2270fs(impact velocity) has enough power for African plainsgame, European and North American non-dangerous big game?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
do you guys think a .30cal 200gr accubond at 2270fs(impact velocity) has enough power for African plainsgame, European and North American non-dangerous big game?

Yes, oui, da, ja, si

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, 220MKs. Why, cuz they're accurate and they kill very well.
www.longrangehunting.com

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
quote:

Well, 220MKs. Why, cuz they're accurate and they kill very well.
www.longrangehunting.com

while I support the ballistic tips for long range... Jay brought up my personal favorite of the match bullets for hunting.....

220 grain Match King!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
200 gr. Noslers, in my 300 H&H. Hold over is easy, wind is the bugger and a long heavy bullet going fast is about all you can do IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know quite a few long range hunters using 30 calibers and the trend the last couple of years is towards the 210 Bergers. they just flat out work very well. they don't surface blow up on a close shot and expand every time on long shots. bullets in the 200-220 range are by far and away the most popular.i would recommend you stay with the 200 accubond unless you're an experienced reloader. the match style vld's can be difficult to get good accuracy sometimes. the accubond would be the easiest to get accurate and tough to beat out to a half mile.

Posts: 42 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I usually use 180 Partitions for my -06 but I think if I was going to shoot a lil further then normal I would give the Accubond a try

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady 190 gr HPBT out of my 24" 30-06s. Accuarcy is excellent, MV is 2750 fps and it still retains about 1800 fps at 600 yards. That is about what factory 190 gr loads did in the .303 Savage which was a good deer and elk killer. Expansion of the 190 SPBT is excellent across that velocity range on deer and elk.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mate of mine grasses 'roos at incredibly long ranges, with a 300 RUM and 168 Nosler CC match bullets.

Cuts them to ribbons.............

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
How about one of the new Wildcat Aluminum tipped bullets, they have a higher BC than any other bullet that I am aware of

311 Grain Wildcat compared to 300 SMK both 338 Cal.. These bullets are also available in 7mm and 30 cal as well.

Here is a picture of the 265 grain Wildcat compared to the 3oo grain SMK and a 300 grain all copper bullet

The 265 grainer has a BC slightly higher than the 300 SMK, which has been the highest comercialy available BC below 50 Cal

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berger VLD

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What's the BC of the 7mm aluminum tipped?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Richard emailed me the pics of the aluminum tipped prototyped bullets earlier this year.

I wondered what ever became of the project.

Wildcat bullets are among the best available hunting bullets on the market. They have match grade ogives, many have rebated boat tails, and the BCs are as good as it gets.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I head 162gr A-Maxs in 7mm work well at 50-1000 yards on thin skinned game. and probably under 50 yards. as long as you put it through the shoulder and not just behind it your sorted.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
How about one of the new Wildcat Aluminum tipped bullets, they have a higher BC than any other bullet that I am aware of

311 Grain Wildcat compared to 300 SMK both 338 Cal.. These bullets are also available in 7mm and 30 cal as well.

Here is a picture of the 265 grain Wildcat compared to the 3oo grain SMK and a 300 grain all copper bullet

The 265 grainer has a BC slightly higher than the 300 SMK, which has been the highest comercialy available BC below 50 Cal

Sexy looking bullets :thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote