New
Find
Notify
Tools

saum - thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Remington 700BDL STainless NIB from Cabelas for $469. This seemed to ggod a deal to pass. Naturally all the press is going to the WSM cartridges and a couple people told me yesterday that the SAUM will be obsolete in 10 years. Are these cartridges that inferior to the WSM that even at this price is would be a bad buy or perhaps otherwise that I should keep it NIB for future value. Wondering what the guru's think

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Not a guru, but I always thought the saum a better designed cartridge, it fits a bit better in a short action. This isn't the first time RP let WW beat them to a good idea. Just lay in a supply of brass & be happy w/ your choice. In a pinch you could probably make brass from WSM.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Sweet deal! Im no "Guru" but if I'd scored on that saum I would use it "as is". A set of dies and a few hundred cases and your set for life. You may even find that somewhere down the road that it has become an in demand hard to find item, as shooters become cognizant of it virtues and rarity.
And yes, I'd hunt it. I don't collect anything on purpose.
I don't own either a saum or a wsm, but Im convinced that the saum series is a better design for anything under .32 caliber in a true short action rifle.
Remington should commercialize the .257 saum asap, I feel they'd sell like asprin on New Years Day. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No guru here either but I be surprised to see the SAUM last five years let alone ten. The WSM seems to have legs, everyone and their cousin - even Remington - is chambering rifles for it. Since you have a M700 rather than a Seven or a 673 you could always beat the rush and have the SAUM rechambered as a WSM...

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
My buddy at the range has one. I don't know anyone else with one. Seems most people boughtwsm's. I think the biggest killer of the saum cartridges was the fact that the wsm's where available to people for a lot less money at wallyworld etc... I have never seen a saum at wallmart but I know several people who have bought wsm's there. I think in a few years they will join the 6.5 rem mag and the 8mm rem mag as something you have heard of but never seen.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the next 2 weeks I will have all the components to build a 300 SAUM. The WSM is really too long to use it to its advantage in a short action. I have about 100 cases and know they will be more than I will use.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Not a guru, but I always thought the saum a better designed cartridge, it fits a bit better in a short action. This isn't the first time RP let WW beat them to a good idea. Just lay in a supply of brass & be happy w/ your choice. In a pinch you could probably make brass from WSM.

I agree and disagree... I think the SAUM cartridge's are a better fit for short actions. They also have a longer neck than the WSM's. Longer neck's means better use of powder space for one. But, the SAUM can not be made out of the WSM case! The case head on the RSAUM is bigger. No big deal Remington will still make brass for a long time. If by chance they do stop you could make them out of 300 RUM brass....I was told by Remington that their RSAUM's are based off a shorted RUM case.

I am thinking about building an XP-100 in one of the RSAUM's should make one hell of a long rang pistol!

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm one of those few souls who purchaced a 300 SAUM. Wish I'd only paid what you did! You did good there!! I kinda feel like Remington will keep a few boxes of ammo around to supply us. Winchester is definately taking the gold in this bout though. SAUM's not inferior, Win. just had better marketing.

As far as the rifle goes, I didn't like it at all after I bought it. If I could've sold it for what I had in it, it'd been gone long ago. But the thing is that I hated it at the range, I had yet to take it on a hunt. Well let me tell ya, I took it on a hunt in Mississippi this year and it is safe to say that it won't be traded off any time soon. Mine's the stainless, synthetic RMEF model, and it carried like a dream. There was weather there the first two days, and the stainless was for sure a benefit. I took two bucks with the factory 165's and I say they performed flawlessly. As I follow the posts, they are not overly accurate guns, but I personally have not reloaded for it to tell. With factory stuff it groups at an inch and a half at 100yds.. I've picked up 200 once fired on e-bay really cheap. You should to, just in case. Enjoy it!!!!Shoot it!!!! Act like you're one of the elite few that owns one!!!!Tell all your WSM & WSSM buddies how superior it us!!!! Just have fun with it!!!

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the info guys. I actually am liking what I am hearing. I handload so ammo is of no conseqquence. I already bought the dies and 50 new cases. will have to search to see what loads work. I have also heard that the 300 is not real accurate which is exactly opposit of what you hear about the 7mm SAUM. I have seen a couple of them on blowout also so I just may bite on that too. I have always been a big fan of the 700. I will get to see what this does against the WSM as I already have one of those so when I get a good day in April - I'll light up the range with a comparison

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SAUM as has been stated is a more usable case design than the WSM!!! Fits in a "true" short action, uses less powder to acheive nearly identical velocity with given bullets, still has room to be "Improved" if you'd ever get the urge and darn well shoots!!!.....at least in what testing I've done!!
REMINGTON did let Winchester beat them too the punch because they wanted to release the RUM's and already had the R&D done on the SAUM's but chose to release the big golly whoppers first!! Bad marketing move!!!
I am a fan of the SAUM's and the accurracy folks(long range BR folks) are already ding the deal with variations in 6.5!! If Remington would do a factory chambering in 25SAUM it would be a winner!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington XCR RMEF limited edtition has beenn chambered only in the 300wsm. That to me says it all. Remingtons short mags are dead inn the water I am afraid.

Correct me if I am wrong?

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote