THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    WHO'S SHOOTING THE 9.3X62 AND WHATS IT LIKE

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHO'S SHOOTING THE 9.3X62 AND WHATS IT LIKE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tells us about shooting the 9.3x62 range, recoil, loads, gun. Please & thank you.

Posts: 148 | Location: behind a cabbage plant on a hot August Day | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 550 in 9.3 over the summer. I put a Sightron 1.5-6x42 on it and am very pleased with it so far. I've only shot the S&B 285 gr. factory load so far and it groups those into about an inch. I plan to play with handloads in it here in a month or so. Wish I could report slaying an oversized moose or bear with it but so far it's only been used on a whitetail spike. Recoil is obvious but not at all battering.

<9.3x62>
posted
I've owned a number of them over the years, all mine have been custom jobs of one type or another. My current favorite is a model 70 action with a pac-nor barrel and a mcmillan stock. Weighs about 8.75 or so pounds and wears a 1.5-4.5 nikon in Leupold QR bases. Extremely accurate.

Recoil with full power loads is about like a fully loaded 338 WM.

I've used IMR 4895, IMR4320, IMR 4064, H380, Re15, but I have had the best over all results with H414, and I now don't even bother with the other powders. WLR or GM210M primers have worked fine. Norma or Lapua brass. I like the new Nosler 250 a lot, and have done some informal penetration tests with it and found it to be a surprisingly tough bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a fairly lightweight 9.3x62, with the lighter of Lothar Walther's barrel contours, that is not at all bad to shoot. Even with hot S&B ammo, and a plain rubber (not Decelerator) recoil pad. It is also very accurate, which likely reflects more on the barrel quality and time the gunsmith spent installing it properly.

This gun weighs a little less than my Husky 640 8x57(smaller scope, slimmer stock, lighter barrel) but seems to kick less - probably because the Husky has no recoil pad. I would highly recommend this caliber -- in fact I like all the Euro / Mauser calibers so much, I recently sold one of my last non-Mauser caliber rifles, which was also my last non-Mauser rifle. I now have only 7x57s, 8x57s, 7.65x53, and 9.3x62 -- except for my 416 Taylor. Good riddance to all the magnums, 'low and slow' is where it's at.

Best,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i own a Winchester Model 70 with a 26 inch barrel. the set up weighs around 8 or 8.5 pounds i suppose. recoil is not harsh at all. i load 250 and 270 grain loads and they all shoot really well. about a month ago, i was sighting in a scope and used Norma 231 grain factory ammo, S&B 285 grain and some of my handloads. the Norma grouped about 1.25 inches, my homemade loads were very close to that. but unlike CSGunNut, my S&B grouped an entirely miserable 5 inches. i was shooting at 100 yards.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have shot and used the 9,3 in Africa for years. I have lost track of the numbers of game I have shot with it. I find the 286 grs bullets the most useful. The 270 Speers show great promise. The 250 Woodleigh has alot going for it too. For my work the 286 is my favourite. I use the following bullets

A2 Monolithic, Dead Tough, and Lion Load
Nosler Partitions

I wish we could get a US factory to load the ammunition. I noticed Federal still loads the 7 x 64 Brenneke in their Premium Line

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 320 grain woodleighs and the 300 grain Bridger flat nosed solids in the 9.3 x 62.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a recently acquired CZ550. All I have done so far is load some 250 Nosler BT's with RL15 for 2400 fps. With irons at 100 yds that gave me 1 1/2" groups. I like the gun, well fitteed, though the stock is not to my liiking. Can't complain about how it fits me though, so it will probably go unmolested. The CZ is a bargain IMHO. Especially if you want to try an oddball like the 9.3x62.

Need to get a set of Talleys so I can mount a scope sometime this summer. Hope to hunt with it next year with 286 partitions.

I am fairly recoil resistant, so it doesn't recoil to any noticeable level. It takes .416" on up before it bothers me.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I think if you see Federal 7x64, you had better grab it. I do not believe it is still in production. I think the same is true with Remington. At least this seems to be the situation in the US.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3x62 built on a Mark X action. I believe that it is about the perfect general purpose rifle for persons who live in an environment where they may come up on animals which are dangerous. It basically gives .375HH performance within 250yds with 289gr bullets.

I have used the 250gr Nosler BT's and the 289gr Nosler Partitions. I have had only one "failure" with this rifle and have taken about 10 head of African game. The failure was a Waterbuck w/ 250gr BTs, and I cannot explain it. Every other animals I have shot with this round was DRT (dead right there), including one Texas heart shot on a Red Lechewe in which the 250BT lost its gilding metal jacket, but the core continued out the front end of the Lechewe exiting between the front legs! It is the medium range choice for North America. It is wonderfully versatile and easy on the shooter which appeals to me more and more as I age. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thread! I've been thinking about the 9.3X62 for some time, and what I've heard here is all positive. Now I have no excuses not to get one.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cz 550 lux with leupold 2-7 Vari X 11 (old model) in warne fixed mounts, thing shoots great. Rifle is a bargain with nice timber dual cross bolts and holds 5 in the mag. I use lapua brass and I think that is great brass, I am loading 56 gr of AR2208 behind the speer 270 gr spitzer and use a WLR spark.

The caliber is mild to shoot and gets the job done well. 500 gr is right do not forget woodleigh's 320 gr pill.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Alf

The front mount base looks like a "see-through" while the rear looks solid. Is this true?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a mark x mauser actioned 9.3x62 with an Australian made Sprinter barrel it wears a 4x32 meopta scope so far the best load i have found is the 232gr norma vulcan it puts 5 shoots under 1" when i hold the thing straight the best group was 5/8" for 5 shots at this stage i haven't tried it out on game it has been with me a few times spotlighting but there has been no call to use it yet
recoil is not to bad the 232gr bullets at 2600fps are a real pleasure to shoot the 270 speer get a bit hard to handle off the bench but standing are not to bad I have loaded a few 250 nosler's and they seem to shoot hard a flat the accuracy is about 1.5" with these they are doing 2600fps so they should work real well I would have to say that it is a little mild to shoot then equivelent loads in a 338 win mag just my 2 cents

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
ALF,

Great looking rifle. Thanks for posting your pictures. I tried to copy a similar rifle during the building of my 9.3x62. I started with a Mauser '98 action, fitted with double set triggers. Added a 26" Shilen barrel with open sights. The scope is a Hensolt 4X, set in claw mounts. The only part I had trouble with was the rear sight, (and of corse that beautiful stock)

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the original glass shoulder and am very flinch prone. My light profile lothar walther Argy 09 actioned sporter weighs in at 9lbs and allows me to shoot full house (2,300fps) 286gr loads accurately.

Most who shoot it reckon it recoils softly for it's power. With 232gr Norma bullets it groups about half an inch for 3 shots.

A very under rated calibre, this year is the centenary of it's design

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,

Fantastic looking rifle. Oh the pleasure I would get from a couple of hours spent browsing through your collection.

Could you post some additional pictures of the stock? I have it's clone in partially completed state, to be mated with an Oberndorf intermediate receiver barrelled as a 7x57. I already have a nice British style stalking rifle, this will be it's German counterpart. I am really interested in how the wood was shaped around the triggerguard, the rear action tang, and the forend tip.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to order a CZ 550 Lux in this caliber a few weeks ago and the US distributor said they dont have any (they have them in the straight comb-no sights "American" style). 8-12 weeks to get it from Europe.

Nobody has one they'd like to part with do they?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CrazyQuick you have a PM.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Todd where did you get your stock? I WAS considering one from Great American Gunstocks but Chic has me thinking twice with his post in the gunsmithing section about the Mexican Mauser stock.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got one and I've shot about 60 rounds through mine. Just a nice rifle with recoil to me about like a light .30-06. My son, who has never shot anything larger than a 7x57 thought it was easy to shoot, this was with 286 Noslers at 2418 fps. It shoots these at .8-.9 for three shots every time and I doubt game can tell the 14 grains difference between it and a factory .375. All I've shot with mine is a coyote at about 200 yards- he died.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy,

didn't you snag the one at Rebel ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a CZ-550 Lux, and it is one hell of a rifle and caliber. The recoil is noticeable with Speer 270's at 2300 FPS or Nosler B-Tips at 2450, but subjectively seems less than a 338 Win Mag.

Its real value is as a cast bullet rifle--it absolutely drives tacks with Eirik's design (Mountain Molds website) and some Lyman and NEI designs that fellow casters have sent my way.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not me. Besides, I'm in the US so a gun in Australia wouldn't help me much

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote