THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Give me a price to offer a local guy with a used rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give me a price to offer a local guy with a used rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Local guy in my town has a Ruger 77 Mk II blued/walnut with the factory rings no scope in 25/06 at 85% clean metal dinged scratched wood he wants $400

To much or just enough?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its enough perhaps more than enough. Really the question is how bad do you want it?

There will be other deals as good or is this THE gun or cartridge.

Posts: 148 | Location: behind a cabbage plant on a hot August Day | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have many many rifles just woul like to know what you all think you would give. I don't need it and could do without it but would buy it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I'd offer up no more than $325-$350 and be prepared to walk away...

Hank

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I'd offer $300 and if he splits the diff go for it.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In no case would I pay a penny more than $325.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check the book price on a used gun then cut that # in half.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
In the condition you describe I wouldn't go more than $300. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
$400 is a pipe dream.

$300 is the target price for you.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I have many many rifles just woul like to know what you all think you would give. I don't need it and could do without it but would buy it.

if you don't need or can do without then the ball is in your court offer 300 and go from there

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never offer what your willing to pay.
im telling you the number is 1/2 book price for initial offer. set the max price in your mind and stick to it. walk away if you have to. give him your number.
"look pal, i understand that you need to get $X for the rifle. i respect that. im not tryin to work you over. I can spend $Y, so unless something changes i'll have to pass. heres my number if you think you can work with me on it drop me a line, ok?"

you will be amazed at the results.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThe fact that it is a 25-06 in the condition you describe would set me to thinking the barrel could be rather worn. Unless I knew the thing really shot the only known value is the action and the stock. It seems that $300.00 or $400.00 could be spent on something with less gamble. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
85% metal?? How bad is the wood disfigured?? IF it just has dings & dents that can be steamed out, no chipping or gouged-out spots, $400. might not be too exhorbitant......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Bartsche on this one.If possible I'd ask to shoot it first.Also just because its a 25-06 look the throat over as best you can. $325-350 would be my limits.

" If winning isn't important." "Why keep score?"

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot is going to depend on the local market, and what used rifles go for in your area... A .25-'06 is one of those rounds that makes a lot of folks' heart skip a beat, but in reality is pretty much a 'niche' cartridge.

Having said all that, I don't see $400 as a bad number, if you take a look at what new rifles are priced at. If the stock can be cleaned up and the metal isn't gouged, you are probably in pretty good shape, even at $400.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote